cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP IDES on Linux X86 64 Bit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

i hope that s.o. can help me with the installation of SAP IDES ERP2005 on Linux 64 Bit.

I downloaded the Linux Master DVD X86 for 64 Bit system (51032419_8) and the IDES export for ERP2005 (51032413_XX).

I tried to follow the installation PDF, you can find in this forum, for the installation of IDES on Debian Linux. I thought, I'll get no probs with it, but ...

i get the following error:

root@morpheus:/home/drew/51032419_8_X86_X64/BS_2005_SR2_IDES_Installation_Master/IM_LINUX_X86_64# ./sapinst
[==============================] - extracting...  done!
/usr/bin/dirname: invalid option -- p
Try `/usr/bin/dirname --help' for more information.
no such file: /sapinstexe

Does anyone know this failure and give me a hint to solve this step?

Thx in advance.

André

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andre,

have you solved the problem. I'm desparete. Im having the same error. With SAP 4.70 S1 on Debian.

Thanks.

Juan Delgado

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Sandra,

SAP software may run on Debian, but it is not supported. Please have a look at the page of the SAP on Linux SDN homepage. Why I say this is, in case of problems which are related to the operating system, it may get very difficult for you to get support in a guaranteed time frame. Only if there is a company behind a distribution, an enterprise support is available.

This will not solve your current issue, of course, but I'd wanted to point you to the fact, that Debian is not supported by SAP.

Thanks for you understanding,

Hannes Kühnemund

SAP LinuxLab

MarkusRest
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Sandra,

the manpage of dirname doesn't even have a option -d.

So the script ( which I don't know) will lead you to the errorpath...

but, as Mr Kuehnemund pointed out Debian isn't supported by SAP.

That means two things:

first you have no support at all... (not any single line of code )

secondly you have to work over every script from SAP so that it fits to the needs of Debian (I did it with some scripts, mainly with the installationscript for Netweaver 2004s).

But all the scripts I saw had one thing in common: They got the "working Directory" not from the System itsself (which would direct them to the mount point), but they searched for it themselves.

That means you can copy any DVD to the HDD and make your corrections for Debian :).

Greets

Markus Voelker

g_awater
Explorer
0 Kudos

I know I'm kickin up an ancient topic, but since I ran into this myself as well, this is the answer:

Debian/Ubuntu use dash as a shell for /bin/sh. If you change that to bash, it will work:

ln -s -f /bin/bash /bin/sh

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I´d suggest the following (to not mess up your root filesystem):

mkdir /inst
cd /inst
/home/drew.....sapinst

This will put the temporary and installation files under /inst

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

thx for your hint, but this doesn't really solve my problem. I have problems with the installation script, because it calls DIRNAME with the option -P, but there is no valid option in DIRNAME.

André

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi André,

normally the installation media and installation tools are tested and validated on the supported platforms. This means, using SLES9/10 or RHEL4/5 underneath an SAP ERP2005 should work. Nevertheless, sometimes there are still some bugs left. Maybe downloading a new sapinst exeutable from the SAP Service Marketplace (http://service.sap.com/patches ) may solve the issue.

Thanks,

Hannes Kuehnemund

SAP LinuxLab

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

$ cat /etc/SuSE-release

SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (ia64)

VERSION = 10

$ dirname -p

dirname: invalid option -- p

Try `dirname --help' for more information.

So SuSE SLES 10 doesn't have that either - and it works

I think the problem is in error handling because the system is trying to write "somewhere", it can't and then trying to find out with dirname the directory.

--

Markus