cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bulk renaming/translation of repository fields

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

we have come across the challenge to translate large amounts of MDM repository fields since we created a repository mainly from scratch and want to / have to deliver this in many languages.

We have two problems with this:

a) Renaming fields is very time-consuming since MDM always updates the database immediately.

b) We'd like to use some kind of automated approach: if we could extract all fieldnames in one language, for instance English, we would like to give this list to a professional translator. Afterwards, we would like to "import" the list rather than manualle copy'n'paste the whole content into the repository.

We know that there's no current standard solution for this so I wanted to ask, if someone has already come across a similar problem and/or if someone has an idea how to efficiently find a solution for this issue.

Thanks very much for your suggestions!

Best regards,

Martin

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Martin,

Adding to Tim suggestion of exporting of Schema.

I hope you have maintained the language properties for the repository. If not please follow the procedure.

1. Select the applicable MDM server

2. In the repository pane, select the repositry for which you need to add language.

3. In the repostory details, double click on language property.

4. Select the languages needs to be added from the available list.

5. System asks for confirmation.

6. After confirmation, the MDM saves all the display language.

Now export the repository schema, the system saves as XML. In the XML you can see that each field names are translated to corresponding language. If you still require to change the field name, then change corresponding to the languages. Then again import the changed schema for the corresponding repository. By this way we can change the field names.

Regards,

Harish

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member201266
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Martin,

As you already said that there is no possibel standard solution for this; but i think there could be many alternatives, one of them which i could provide is,

1) What ever data you have just export it, to excel or any other format.

2) Then you just export the Repository structury to XML Schema then as you said

you use an professional translator to changes the names over there in the XML file or use a XML edittors to edit the fields in the XML Schema or just write a simpel java program to change the names in XML file to required one.

3) Create a new repos using the above XML schema

4) Import the data, which you exported earlier.

In case of any other issue please let me know.

Regards,

CHARAN

If found useful rate this answer;THANKU.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Martin,

Depending on where you would like to do this it is possible. For instance, if you want to do this for all attributes linked to the Categories taxonomy...

In the Data Manager

Go to Taxonomy mode

Select the Categories table

File > Export To > Excel

Select the fields and languages to export

This will give you a worksheet to be translated

From the same area do File > Import From > Excel

It will run an import internal to the Data Manager to pull in the translations

This can be done in other areas to, like the Text Blocks table.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more detail.

Thanks,

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

thanks for your answer. I know that we can do this for attributes since they can be treated as records in the repository. But we have this problem with real MDM field names which you define in Console.

I already extracted all fieldnames using Java API and pasted them into Excel but don't easily get them into the repo again ...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Martin,

I see your problem. Here's one other suggestion, that I honestly don't know the full effort or implication of, but maybe something to try. Can you do an export of the repository schema from the Console, then somehow quickly update the exported XML, and then import it back in? Just a suggestion. Not sure if it would be easy or hard, or even possible.

Thanks,

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

thanks for the support. I actually tried this already and wrote a quick'n dirty tool which modifies the XML structure and added additional language information to the repo schema. Afterwards, I successfully uploaded the new schema into MDM.

I just hoped there'd be an alternative solution...

Best regards,

Martin