cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

64 and 32 bit heterogeneous landscapes...

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have been searching for hours but unable to find an answer to this... so here goes...

We have two Netweaver 2004s landscapes that we already have 32bit machines in and we are going to introduce a further set of 64 bit machines with 64bit Win2003 OS.

My question is:

1. Are such landscapes supported by SAP?

2. Any SAP Notes/documentation confirming this?

e.g.: We're not sure if we can send the ABAP transports and J2ee developments from 32bit hardware to 64bit and on the other landscape from 64bit to 32bit machines.

Any insights will be appreciated and points awarded.

Thanks

kev

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

308375 - In this note have a look at the 7th point.

Note 996600 - 32 Bit platforms not recommended for productive NW2004s apps

I think these two notes would help you.

Award points if it helped.

Thanks

Subbu

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

mixed 32 / 64 landscapes on Windows are supported.

Whenever possible do not use Windows Server 2003 any longer.

We strongly recomment using Windows Server 2008 R2.

regards

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We do have 64 and 32 bit heteregeneous landscapes with Windows 2000 32 bit x86 and Windows 2003 64 bit ia64.

There are no problems for transports between 32 bit and 64 bit systems.

Problems can happen with differences between the différent operating systems.

We had, for instance, an issue with some scripts (bat files) because Microsoft had the very strange idea to change the syntax of the DIR command between win 2000 and win 2003. If your script need to work in the same way in both OS, you have to detect the OS and have the 2 syntaxes in the script...

We also have systems with a 64 bit CI and 32 bit dialog instances.

Here, the problems may be with memory hungry programs running OK on the 64 bit system and short dumping on 32 bit app servers

We had also a bad surprise with Win 2003 IA64 servers when we discovered that some SAP software is not available on this platform. Exemples : Adobe Services or TREX.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Well, If you are going to transport requests from one system to another I don´t see why it should not work because 32 and 64 bits differences are only in the way memory pages are handled, it does not have anything to do with the data inside the database, or files, etc.

The fact that SAP is recommending 64 bits of memory for all new installations is mainly because you won´t have the memory limitation that 32 bits have so in my point of view there will be no problem at all.

Transport system just takes some changes and write them to the Trans directory (cofile, datafile directory, etc) and files can be copied from 32 bits OS to 64 Bits OS just because in this case the difference will be if you try to copy files from NTFS to NFS for example.

Hope this helps