cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maxdb jdbc problem or Maxdb network layer issue ? MAXDB 7.7

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have two databases (db1 - port 7210, db2 - port 7211) installed on a server each on a different port. I can connect to each database through database manager local on the server (which shows the dbs on different ports).

If I try to connect to db2 on port 7211 I get a connection refused error.

However, I can connect to db2 on port 7210 without an error. The user and database I am connecting to doesn't exist on port 7210 only 7211.

Is this a known problem or Maxdb network layer issue?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

It looks like a bug with database manager not with the network services.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The connection is done through the x_server, you have both of them running (on both ports)?

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

I created db1and db2 databases on different ports utilizing the database manager tool.

Did the database manager create a seperate network service for each db? How can db2 which was created on port 7211 be able to connect via the default port 7210?

When I start and stop each db through database manager does it start/stop each network service? Do I have to use a command line tool x_server?

If I have to use x_server how do I operate on a non default port - 7211?

x_server -h doesn't show an option for operating on non defautl ports.

alexander_schroeder
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello John,

TCP/IP connections are handled in MaxDB by a special program (the x_server) which usually, except in special cases (see below) handles all connection to all databases on this computer.

So, is there really a need to have this separated in the port access?

Last question: What did you do in database manager and from where comes your view of having one database on 7120, and one on 7211?

Regards

Alexander Schröder

Former Member
0 Kudos

TCP/IP connections are handled in MaxDB by a special program (the x_server) which usually, except in special cases (see below) handles all connection to all databases on this computer.

Ok, I understand that. But does database manager gui actually create the network entries or is that a manual step outside fo the tool?

So, is there really a need to have this separated in the port access?

Not in this instance, but from an architecture standpoint I would like to separate these databases on different ports from a security standpoint.

Last question: What did you do in database manager and from where comes your view of having one database on 7120, and one on 7211?

In database manager - choose Instance - then create Instance from the drop down menu. Choose custom from the create database instance wizard. From here you can define the port.

Once you create the database it will be available with a different port listing in the main screen .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Database manager gives the impression that the database is created under a separate port, but in fact it isn't. If I delete the instances out of the database manager configuration file, and readd them using the gui tool, they both show up under the default port of 7210.

So, it looks like a bug of sorts in the database manager tool.