cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kernel Upgrade for ECC 6

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I want to upgrade the kernel patch level for ECC 6.

I download all files in http://www.service.sap.com/patches

<b>path</b>: Entry by application group -> Additional Components -> SAP Kernel ->SAP Kernel 32 bit Unicode -> SAP KERNEL 7.00 32-BIT UNICODE -> Windows Server on IA32 32bit -> Database independent

Then, I extract all, stop SAP server and copy all these files to \SYS\exe\uc\ and restart server. But, on SAPMMC the dispatcher remains yellow "<b>Dispatcher - Running but Dialog Queue info unavailable</b>".

The old kernel patch level is 75, and I extract the file SAPEXE_102-20000972.SAR (patch level 102), but when checking system status, I found that the kernel patch level is not updated.

Do you know this problem ? Do I miss some steps ?

Thank you very much,

Sylvecast

null

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

self-solved

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

when you find a solution, you should supply the solution that worked for you. this way, if someone else hits the same error, it will help him/her.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you let us know how you fixed the problem.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

MMC connects to the underlying sapstartsrv.exe windows service. Beside starting up and shutting down the processes listed in the start profile, this service will also connect to shared memory segments to find out the status of work processes and the dispatcher.

When starting the system it will normaly first execute sapcpe.exe to replicate new executables from the central replication directory (DIR_CT_RUN) to the instance executable directory (DIR_EXECUTABLE).

If you provide a new kernel version to DIR_CT_RUN, it will copy and start a new disp+work.exe and sapstartsrv.exe to the local directory WHILE the old sapstartsrv.exe service executable is still running.

if the new disp+work.exe contains changes to shared memory structures (compared to the old one) the old sapstartsrv.exe will not be able to read them. <i>Dispatcher - Running but Dialog Queue info unavailable</i> is one result of it, unavailable work process information another one.

sapstartsrv.exe will detect that there is a new version of it's executable by comparing sapstartsrv.exe against sapstartsrv.exe.new (which have the same timestamp in DIR_CT_RUN) and will restart the service with the new executable after 5 minutes which will normaly. This automatically fixes the problem and is documented in windows application log (eventviewer).

Peter