cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Hierarchy -- [points guaranteed]

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

Can someone tell me what is the Project Hierarchy followed in real time. What is the hierarchy in which an XI Developer obtains a technical spec?

Regards,

Sriram

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey

an XI developer usually gets the functional specification from the team lead or project manager and then starts working on the scenarios,the functional specification is made based upon the requirements from the end users,once the whole development is done by the developers he creates a tech spec. by himself which is like an advanced form of func spec.it has all the details mentioned in func spec and in addition it also has all the technical details like and UDF's used,any Java classes mapping programs used etc.

Thanx

Aamir suhail

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks guys

regards,

sriram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sriram,

Well again it depends on the experience of the XI developer.

But in a typical case,

He can get the tech spec(comprises of the high level and tech/detailed level design diagrams etc) from the functional team which in turn gets the requirements from the process team.

In the tech spec certain sections(IR and ID) can be left for the developer to complete as he would be going through the whole requirement and would be finally developing the interface.

The other thing could be that.. the developer(again depends on his exp) is given the functional specs and he prepares the tech spec which reviewed either by functional or the process team, and once its finalized, he can go ahead with the development.

I hope this should answer your question.

Reward point if useful.

Thanks!!

Younus

Former Member
0 Kudos

XI is really new at our company, we are actually transferring over interfaces from an older middleware that is handling our data transactions right now. I think that a lot of businesses that are working with SAP might be in the same situation, as using XI is much cheaper than using a third party program with SAP computer systems.

How our Projects are working right now:

1: Identify an interface to transfer over

2: Identify and analyze the interface with experts on the old middleware

3: Diagram the flow of data from one system through the middleware to the other system

4:Develop IR work

5:Develop ID work

6:Test

This is basically how it has worked on the last four interfaces. We usually have one person do steps 4 and 5, as 3 seems to be the hardest and most time consuming. Problems also come up in step 5 with content conversion and connection problems which can be time consuming and require meeting other teams who work on the systems to be connected to.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Valiveti,

Typically the flow is:

FunctionalSpec>XI Architect(views the functional spec and let the developer know what needs to be done)>XI Developer(Tech. Spec & Development)

Regards,

---Satish

manish_bhalla2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I guess the project hierarchy depends on a variety of things, like scope of work, size of project team etc .

Typically I would expect the functional team to provide interface requirements in the form of a functional spec. From this, you have two options...

1. You can have a high-level tech spec drawn up by an interface architect / XI lead, followed by low-level, detailed tech spec by the lead XI developer

2. just one combined tech spec, produced by the interface architect/ XI lead

Again, this is not necessarily how it would happen.. these are just examples that I have seen of the way things are done. Each organisation has its own way of doing things.

Given XI developers with the right skills, they may produce the tech specs themselves. I have also seen cases where (for a really small project, with just 5-6 interfaces) there were no formal func specs.., the tech specs were produced from high-level func requirements and interface workshops.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Manish