cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does installing the java stack require Unicode encoded data?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm trying to sort out when an instance has to be Unicode-enabled with data migrated to be Unicode-encoded and when it doesn't.

When we installed a stand-alone java/abap instance of WAS 6.4 for custom development, the instance was Unicode-enabled due to an understood technical dependency to support the java stack.

In a different case involving an upgrade from BW 3.5 to 7.0, we are also planning to install the java stack, but are being told that the database only has to be Unicode compliant and that the data does not need to be migrated to Unicode.

It's not clear to me how you can make the database Unicode-compliant without requiring that the data be Unicode-encoded. Would someone please clear up my confusion?

Thanks,

Thomas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Thomas,

Yes as stated above the Java Schema will always be a Unicode Schema. For an installation this means the following,

-> Standalone Java Stack => Your Database will be Unicode and the entire installation will use a Unicode codepage (Unless you are installing using MCOD)

-> Dual Stack System, ABAP + Java => For the installation itself a Non Unicode codepage can be selected, so you can choose codepage 1100. This means that the ABAP Schema will be installed as Non Unicode. However, your Java Schema will still be Unicode.

Hopefully this information is of help to you,

Regards,

David

Former Member
0 Kudos

So, in the Dual Stack system when the ABAP schema is non Unicode, the data stored by the Java engine will be Unicode encoded and the data stored by the ABAP engine will be non Unicode encoded?

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Be very clear that now with java stack it has to be unicode only.

Only the double stack has such options of being Unicode or Non-Unicode.

Regards and reward if helpful

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please look at this note.

669902 Oracle9i: Setting the national character set to UTF8

Award Points if helpful

Thanks,

Tanuj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Since Java stack is delivered as Unicode only it will need to have Unicode compliant DB to store data for it's schema. That is why there is a requirement to have Unicode compliant DB. On the other hand, ABAP stack can still be non-unicode as RFC/JCO will be used to translate traffic btw JAVA and ABAP.

Regards,

Mike