cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make the DBMS known to MDM Server?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Using the installation guide i have a problem on one step.

Step of connection the DBMS and the MDM Server.

"On the MDM host, run the Oracle Network Configurator to make the DBMS known to Oracle clients. In this case the MDM Server is an Oracle client."

But i can't really find Oracle Network Configurator. I know that there is Oracle Net Configuration Assistant and Oracle Net Manager. But i don't really know how to configure this connection.

May be someone can help with this question?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Godo Day,

these are the variables that i set that solved my problem

export DB_SID=<SID>

export ORACLE_SID=<SID>

export dbs_ora_schema=SAPSR3

export dbs_ora_tnsname=<SID>

export dbms_type=ORA

export ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/<SID>/112_64

export TNS_ADMIN=/usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/profile/oracle

export PATH=/oracle/<SID>/112_64/bin:$PATH

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/oracle/<SID>/112_64/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

after setting this you need to restart MDM for it to take effect

kind regards

marius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good Afternoon

Does anyone know what environment variables has been set to rectify this error

Thank you in advance

Marius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Everything is fine/ the problem is solved/ We just needed to add some user variables to the mdm uder and reboot the system.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are currently facing the same error on MDM Catalog. When try to create a new repository, it says -> Error initializing database engine.

Can you please help what changes you made to the environment variables of the MDM user?

Thanks,

Abdul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you ever get an answer to what variables they changed or added.

Thanks, Keith

Former Member
0 Kudos

So using this tools we need to configure the files in the folder

$ORACLE_HOME/network/admin ?

And the other question is about the mdn user. Do we need to make a mdm user with the administrator privileges on the OS level? And then we need to start the system under this login?

As far as i understand if this is correctly made the MDM Server will automaticaly

connect to the DBMS or do we need to configure something else?

null

Former Member
0 Kudos

> So using this tools we need to configure the files in the folder

> $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin ?

Yes.

> And the other question is about the mdn user. Do we need to make a mdm user > with the administrator privileges on the OS level? And then we need to start the > system under this login?

MDM Server runs a system service (if we talk about windows). The service is normally sarted or stopped through the MDM Console (when you start or stop the server) or automatically. So, your OS user must have the appropriate permissions to start or stop the service.

> As far as i understand if this is correctly made the MDM Server will automaticaly

> connect to the DBMS or do we need to configure something else?

MDM Server does not automatically connect to DBMS server. The connection is established when you create or mount a repository. So, in this way, one MDM server "can connect" to different repositories (and so, to different DBMS servers) simultaneously.

Former Member
0 Kudos

> MDM Server does not automatically connect to DBMS server. The connection is established when you create or mount a repository. So, in this way, one MDM server "can connect" to different repositories (and so, to different DBMS servers) simultaneously.

When i first time mount the MDM Server using the MDM Console (it shows us that server is running) and start doing something with it the message appiars "The Server is no longer Responding". What it could be?

In the tnsnames i have MDM.WORLD =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS_LIST =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = S00-5000)(PORT = 1521))

)

(CONNECT_DATA =

(SERVICE_NAME = MDM.WORLD)

)

)

In the listener.ora

ORACLEMDM102TNSLISTENER =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = s00-5000)(PORT = 1521))

)

SID_LIST_ORACLEMDM102TNSLISTENER =

(SID_LIST =

(SID_DESC =

(GLOBAL_DBNAME = MDM.WORLD)

(ORACLE_HOME = W:\ORACLE\MDM\102)

(SID_NAME = MDM)

)

)

in the sqlnet.ora

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)

NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES)

So everything seems to be fine ))

"On the MDM host, run the Oracle Network Configurator to make the DBMS known to Oracle clients.

In this case the MDM Server is an Oracle client." - phrase from SAP documentation.

> I used Net Manager to configure Service Naming - u say

But do we need to somehow point to the MDM Server, regarding to the phrase in the installation guide?

Message was edited by:

Nikolaj Valerevich Zelikin

Message was edited by:

Nikolaj Valerevich Zelikin

Former Member
0 Kudos

10652 2007/08/07 13:50:47.875 GMT Oracle Initialization Failed -- likely missing libraries/dlls

Error initializing db engine.

Where do we need to write the Oracle library path? In the mds.ini file? What do i have to add in it?

null

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, it seems there is a kind of wrong naming in the documentation.

Is think Oracle Network Configurator is used as a general name for tools to manage service naming (Net Manager, Net Configuration Assistant or even direct (tsnames.ora etc.) file editing).

I used Net Manager to configure Service Naming.