cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoration and Recovery procedure after Backup with BRTOOLS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

I hv taken full online_cons backup of my solman 4.0 system based on oracle 10g databse and windows platform which is ABAP+JAVA based. The application is currently running fine and working well. I wanna do the restoration and recovery testing of that backup on the same server . wt is the procedure od doing tat? wt i think is the proccedure of doing tat is as follows: plz tell if its correct

1. Install fresh central instance

2. perform complete database recovery with BRTools

3. Apply archive logs after the alst abckup taken

If this is the correct procedure then wt do i do with the running instance,do i need to scrap it off first and then restore which i dont wanna do................is there any other alternative?

Requested to revert at earliest.

Reagrds,

Somya

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

for ur information dont be confused restore will overwrite all existing file dont want to delete anything or scratch . iam 100% sure that restore doent need any scratch or delete of files . i have two times done like this and sucessfull also

as other suggested dont try with good system

for eg if major wrong thing happen during upgradation the only way to just restore the system steps are

1.insert the tape

2.shutdown all the instance

3.give the restore command

with regards

Dinesh

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Somya, you are asking afor a lot of work from volunteer people...

1. Whether to scrap off the complete application ,install fresh central instancewith the same parameters as i gave b4 in the installation and then go for recovery?Here my question would be then all the folders their position and name must be same in the new frsh installation of central instance na as was b4 or they can differ?

--> they can differ but this will be a lot of work, better keep the same directory structure

2 Or to delete all the files datafiles( not sure if to delete origlog, mirrorlog and control files ) and then shutdown db and sap and start restoration?

-> shutdown DB

-> backup

-> restore

-> easy as 1-2-3

3. or to just shutdown db and sap and begin restoration.and here my question was if suppose i go with this option then wont it write all the files again which are already there bcoz not much of space is avilable?

-> files will be overwritten, so you will not use more disk space.

Does this clear all your questions?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Somya,

Like Eric was saying you are on the right track. I didn't understand your question "wt do i do with the running instance,do i need to scrap it off first and then restore which i dont wanna do................is there any other alternative?"

When you are saying install a fresh CI and all, why are talking about scrapping? Am I missing some thing here?

Thanks

regards,

BMG

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok Somya,

If you have only one server and want to test your backup and restore processes, you might be in for some real trouble ('cause you are relying on your backup process which you may not have tested before; second is, if you are going to scrap the existing system for restore purpose and the backup is bad, you don't have any system at all).

Ideal would be to test on different server. At least try on different disks. You can not restore the database while the SAP and database are still running.

Hope I have explained it well.

Thanks.

regards,

BMG

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Eric , BMG , Dinesh and others,

Plz give steps of restoration to a consistent database from an online_cons backup tat i took on 07/08/2007 evening in all the below mwntioned three cases:

<b>1. Whether to scrap off the complete application ,install fresh central instancewith the same parameters as i gave b4 in the installation and then go for recovery?Here my question would be then all the folders their position and name must be same in the new frsh installation of central instance na as was b4 or they can differ?

2 Or to delete all the files datafiles( not sure if to delete origlog, mirrorlog and control files ) and then shutdown db and sap and start restoration?

3. or to just shutdown db and sap and begin restoration.and here my question was if suppose i go with this option then wont it write all the files again which are already there bcoz not much of space is avilable?</b>

Plz also tell the ideal of these three cases which is the correct procedure and which shld be followed . i hv mentioned many times b4 tat not much of free sapce is there in disk.

Requesting for a satisfactory reply at earliest so tat i can assign points and close the thread.

Regards,

Somya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Additionally no activity over the system has been done after the last backup.

Regards,

Somya

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

shutdown both SAP and DB (all instance) during restore it overwrite all ur existing datafile dont worry about the space .Ur going to test only it will defintely work

i asked to create user(to check the restore) . After restore that user will not present becaz that will not be present in ur backup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Dinesh,

No but after applying backup ill aplly archives also generated after backup na inorder to bring the database to its consistent state?.................................tat user wll be present there na............when it wll overwrite dat files i suppose it wll not be needing other free space ...............................?

Also revert to

I am doing restoration and recovery although my sytem is working and running fine because i want to learn doing backup and restoration. I hope its now clear plus i hv to do this testing on this server itself as i dont hv any other server free. Now iam asking the ideal option tat shld be gone for in this scenario as i asked u in my previous message:

1. Whether to scrap off the complete application ,install fresh central instancewith the same parameters as i gave b4 in the installation and then go for recovery?Here my question would be then all the folders their position and name must be same in the new frsh installation of central instance na as was b4 or they can differ?

3. or to just shutdown db and sap and begin restoration.and here my question was if suppose i go with this option then wont it write all the files again which are already there bcoz not much of space is avilable?

or all these three options r correct and can be followed for testing various restoration and recovery strategies. I mean following any of these three options wld lead me to the same consistent database recovery?I hope the question is quite clear now. Plz revert accordingly.

Thanks and Regards,

Somya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

with existing system u can restore Just shutdown all the instance

restore using the command brrestore -c -b .aft(filename) -m full

just create one user(su01) after backup and then u restore u will find that user will not exist after restore don't want to scratch the system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dinesh,

So i can just shut the down the sap instance from management console and begin backup frm brtools and dont need to scrapoff the application / delete any files ?Plz confirm .

Then wont that restoration copy those data files and other files also that already exist there and create them doubally? there is not much of space?

Why tat user created after backup wll not exist after restoration?

Plz revert to these queries at earliest.

Reagrds,

Somya

Former Member
0 Kudos

additionally plz also clarify do i need to shut down only the SAP instance or i need to shut down database also?

regards,

Somya

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

<b>1. As my solman sytem is currently running and working fine ,do i need to bring down the instance / scrap off the apllication / remove all files corresponding to it before restoration ?

</b>

it depends on what you want to do, for a real complete disasterrecovery plan, you should backup your whole system and scrap it completely, that means format all disks and re-isntall from scratch. an easier and much safer method is trying to restore on an identical server, not on the original server.

<b>2. If i hv to just shut down SAP instance then will brrestore/brrecover not write the already present files again and there is not much of space available?</b>

I don't get you. how do you plan on doing a recovery/restore while SAP is running ????

<b>3. Or do i hv to scrap off the application ,then install central instance and then start restore or i just need to delete data files and can begin restoration .</b>

if you only want to restore the DB, you only need to delete datafiles, origlog, mirrorlog and control files. Obviously, DB must be down.

in order to do a restore, SAP and DB must both be down.

I hope this was clear enough.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Eric,

I am doing restoration and recovery although my sytem is working and running fine because i want to learn doing backup and restoration. I hope its now clear plus i hv to do this testing on this server itself as i dont hv any other server free. Now iam asking the ideal option tat shld be gone for in this scenario as i asked u in my previous message:

or all these three options r correct and can be followed for testing various restoration and recovery strategies. I mean following any of these three options wld lead me to the same consistent database recovery?I hope the question is quite clear now. Plz revert accordingly.

Regards,

Somya

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I understand that you want to to a restore test, but if you only have 1 server, you will need to destroy it in order to really test a restore. so, you are putting yourself in danger because if the restoration process does not work, you lose your system ans you will be screwed big time.

an alternative: if you have a lot of disk space, do a backup, copy your DB on other disks then try to do your restoration.

so, copy your DB and go with option 2.

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you have the proper procedure, I would also read docs from http://service.sap.com/dbaora

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello everyone,

plz revert to this query at earliest as this is very urgent. points guaranteed.

Regards,

Somya

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Eric,

Why cant the replies be straight forward,when i hv asked a straight question tat if its the correct procedure and if yes wt do i need to do of the already running instance if i try tor restore the backup. I hv read the Backup and Restoration document but getting confused here ,plz clarify.

Tahnks and Reagrds,

somya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

Let me put the issue more clearly :

I have taken full cons_online backup through BRTOOLS 7.0 of my SAP Solution Manager 4.0 system based on netweaver 2004s . The sytem is running fine now.But i wnat to do restoration on the same system inorder to learn doing it and test backup.But i hv certain questions regarding it:

1. As my solman sytem is currently running and working fine ,do i need to bring down the instance / scrap off the apllication / remove all files corresponding to it before restoration ?

2. If i hv to just shut down SAP instance then will brrestore/brrecover not write the already present files again and there is not much of space available?

3. Or do i hv to scrap off the application ,then install central instance and then start restore or i just need to delete data files and can begin restoration .

In these cases iam considering restoration frm brtools with complete datbase recovery.Guys i suppose everyone must hv done this b4 so plz help as iam struggling over this nd need the reply urgently. I repeat Points guaranteed.

Thanks and Regards,

Somya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Additionally for tat recovery and restoration, wt parameters are taken from initSID.sap and get affected and wt parameters need to be set there???????????????

thanks,

Somya