cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a skillset query

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am from j2ee/xml/xsl background with eai experience (in tibco bw basically).

I recently attended SAP-XI training, and cleared the XI development consultant certification. and looking fwd to work in XI projects :).

my query is, do we need to learn ABAP skills to effectively work in XI projects/implementations. (if yes, to what extent)

could be a basic question for u, (asking as i'm new to SAP world).

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hey

as suggested by Satish,i would also recommend you to get some know how of ABAP concepts specially,RFC,BAPI,ALE etc

have a look at the following

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/22/042578488911d189490000e829fbbd/frameset.htm - RFC/ALE/IDOC/BAPI

Thanx

Aamir

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Having an ABAP knowlegde would be always added advantage.

As metioned by Satish, it would be good if you have more knowledge about ALE,ED,IDOCS.

Also some times you have to use RFC's, ABAP Proxy for communication, in this case ABAP knowledge would help.

Having SAP Functional knowledge will help to understand / develop end to end scenarios... If you are thinking of role of integration developer / architecture this SAP Functional / ABAP knowledge is must to provide correct solution.

Nilesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks Satish, Raj, Amir, Nilesh for your replies.

its clear.

this week i'll search on net for the resources/tutorials on ABAP to have an idea and basic programming. If needed, i may have to ask my employer to provide a training, but first i'll explore myself.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You dont need to do core programming for this. You should know some useful transactions and also do a search in ABAP forums. I think you have some elearning and weblogs which will give you some insight on this.

Regards,

---Satish

justin_santhanam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

First of all congrats for ur successful completion of certification. Now you are Consultant. According to my perspective java /abap is needed -some basic levels. It also depends on the clients. In my project there is separate team for ABAP dev activities. Even for writing ABAP proxy programming we will not involve in that. But it will not be always, sometimes it will be ur responibility to write ABAP codes. Since u have J2EE experience I don't wanna comment on this, the experience u have will be more than enough.

So learn some basic stuffs on ABAP programming , it could help you in ur future assignments.

Its my opinion.

Best regards,

raj.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Knowing ABAP is an additonal advantage. I would suggest to know the basics so that it would be easy to you when you do Idoc, Rfc, Proxy scenarios.

Regards,

---Satish