cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who is the right candidate to be trained in MDM?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I would like to know if it is ideal to train a functional (SD/MM module) expert in MDM or whether it is better to train a technical ABAP resource on MDM?

Is MDM like SRM where the functional person has to know a bit of RFCs, BADIs, iDocs etc? In that case I think a functional person should do well in MDM. Am I correct?

If it is OK to train a functional person, what are the basic technical prerequisites that this person MUST have - some basics of ABAP, XI?

Regards

SN

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI

Those who are experience in Database Management, is the right choice for MDM

like Oracle, Sql server etc

Best Wishes

Sekar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Devaraj, Charan, thanks for your inputs.

I need some more clarity.

If the functional person should know basics of Java and ABAP, what would "basics of Java and ABAP" mean? Can you please help listing what the fuctional person should specifically know in ABAP and Java? Is it only concepts of what iDocs, BAPIs, fuction modules are?

Should the functional perosn have necessarily worked on XI and done ABAP programming? One person that we have in mind is an MM expert who has also set up SRM (EBP) system with all iDocs and RFCs configurations by referring to config guide. Is this person a good candidate for MDM?

Regards

Sankar

former_member201266
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Naranyanan,

As i have said you it depends upon the requirement.

As per best of my knowledge you don't require any java or ABAP knowledge to work on with MDM tools. In case if required that you have to integrate it with Java or ABAP then you got to have good knowledge of the required subject. But in most cases integration is not required. I am working in SRM and have integrated SRM with MDM and its working fine; I never required to work with Java, ABAP or XI or any other thing. Its just the flexibility that NWDS provides; by this i mean that MDM can be integrated with anything. But to learn MDM tools nothing else is required. A function or technical guy can learn it.

But again i say; its the requirement which you have; in case you have to integrate SRM with MDM then no technical knowledge is required. or other case is if you want to extract data programmatically then you require programming knowlege.

but still i believe MDM tools are small enough that any one can learn. Don't confuse it with API or anything else. Being a function guy just concentrate on MDM tools and integrate it to your functional module.'

Regards,

Charan

former_member201266
Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

MDM is a technology and we there are set of MDM tools like Console, Data Manager, Import Manager, Syndicator etc. on which we got to work. These tools have environment like MS-Office; by this i mean any one who has good knowledge of MS-office or can easily learn MDM tools. These tools does not require any programming knowledge.

Come to Java API's or ABAP, you have to have basic knowledge of Java or ABAP; but u got to again learn different classes and methods provided in these API's.

If integrating MDM with SRM, have good knowledge of SRM is preferred; but again it depends where the work is; if its in relation to MDM then basic knowledge of SRM is ok; else if wrok is on SRM then a SRM guy can easily learn MDM tools.

any thing else plz let me know

Regards

Charan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shankar,

It is easy to switch from functional consultant to MDM but they should know basic knowledge of ABAP and Java.

ABAP and java for Data enrichment process( When using JAVA API,ABAP API).

If they know about IDoc and RFCs, it will be useful when using XI.

Hope this will clarify your doubts.

Best Regards

Devaraj PK