Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sapinst issue - NW2004s

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am having an issue while executing ./sapinst, the following error generated

(OS: Linux)

Please tell me step by step to resolve my issue.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Srinivas

[root@sapxi IM_LINUX_I386]# ./sapinst

[==============================] - extracting... done!

Starting GuiServer using:

/usr/bin/java -cp /tmp/sapinst_exe.10603.1186146547/JAR/instgui.jar:/tmp/sapinst_exe.10603.1186146547/JAR/inqmyxml.jar -Djava.security.egd=file:/dev/urandom SDTServer config=jar:sdtserver.xml guiport=21212 sapinsthost=localhost sapinstport=21200 guistart=true

load resource pool /SAPSOFTWARE/NWSR2/InstallationMaster/IM_LINUX_I386/resourcepool.xml

guiengine: no GUI connected; waiting for a connection on host sapxi, port 21200 to continue with the installation

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Environment variables:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

5:.xbm=00;35:.xpm=00;35:.png=00;35:.tif=00;35:

KDEDIR=/usr

MAIL=/var/spool/mail/root

PATH=/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/root/bin

INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc

PWD=/SAPSOFTWARE/NWSR2/InstallationMaster/IM_LINUX_I386

JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_15/jre/bin/java

LANG=en_US.UTF-8

SSH_ASKPASS=/usr/libexec/openssh/gnome-ssh-askpass

SHLVL=4

HOME=/root

LOGNAME=root

SSH_CONNECTION=::ffff:10.2.1.120 1292 ::ffff:10.2.1.42 22

LESSOPEN=|/usr/bin/lesspipe.sh %s

DISPLAY=10.2.1.42:12.0

G_BROKEN_FILENAMES=1

_=/bin/env

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear srinivas a,

you cannot start sapinst in the directory where it is located. Please follow the following steps:

mkdir /tmp/install

cd /tmp/install

/SAPSOFTWARE/NWSR2/InstallationMaster/IM_LINUX_I386/sapinst

Then sapinst will work and the installation will go on.

Thanks,

Hannes Kuehnemund

SAP LinuxLab

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hannes,

I created /tmp/install directory. But sapinst located at /SAPSOFTWARE/NWSR2/InstallationMaster/IM_LINUX_I386.

you want me create dir until /SAPSOFTWARE/NWSR2/InstallationMaster/IM_LINUX_I386/sapinst

under /tmp/install???

Please explain me.

Regards

Srinivas

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Srinivas,

You can call sapinst, even if it is not in the current directory. Rather then executing ./sapinst you can call it from a remote location, e.g. /some/path/sapinst. To do so, please follow these steps:

1) create directory /tmp/install: <b>mkdir -p /tmp/install</b>

2) change into this directory: <b>cd /tmp/install</b>

3) invoke sapinst start from its location: <b>/SAPSOFTWARE/NWSR2/InstallationMaster/IM_LINUX_I386/sapinst</b>

Thanks

Hannes Kuehnemund

SAP LinuxLab

Message was edited by:

Hannes Kuehnemund

Message was edited by:

Hannes Kuehnemund

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

I don't think it matters where you call sapinst from. One of the requirements before running sapinst is to have /tmp available with enough of space for the installation log files to be written to.

The below is on the assumption that you cannot startup the installation GUI or that's what it looks like from the dump provided below.

I had a similar problem. There are three environment variables that need to be set:

DISPLAY = <IP>:0.0

JAVA_HOME

SAPINST_JRE_HOME

If your running from a windows workstation then start up your x-term (Hummingbird Exceed, Kea!x etc) and then run sapinst. This usually should bring up the installation gui.

I was on a XP workstation and could not install Hummingbird so I got around this by:

1. Setting the above environment variables

2. Start sapinst from the LINUX_I386 folder

3. Wait until you get this message "guiengine: no GUI connected; waiting for a connection on host sapxi, port 21200 to continue with the installation"

4. Then insert the Master DVD into your PC and start the startinstgui.bat from the Windows_I386 folder from the DVD. This brings up a sapinst GUI that lets you proceed with the installation.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Chengappa

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Chengappa,

YES, it matters from where you call sapinst. You cannot call it from the directory where it is located. You always have to create a directory somewhere from where you invoke sapinst.

Thanks,

Hannes Kuehnemund

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Hannes,

Obviously you call sapinst from the OS that you are installing to from the DVD and not from any directory on the DVD! Was that what you meant? I thought that was pretty obvious.

You don't necessarily have to create a directory either because if you run sapinst from the DVD (from within whichever OS your installing!) sapinst will create an installation directory under /tmp (if no env variables are set for a temp directory) as the default installation directory and extracts the sapinst executables to this directory.

As a kind of best practice SAP recommends that you copy the DVD's to a local disk and then run the installation.

Cheers,

Chengappa