cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Message Pool and trying to translate

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am using the message pool and dont understand how to get I8N done. I tried to adapt the tutorial about it to my application. I created the _en.xlf and _de.xlf but it still reads the original data entered in the message pool. What could cause the error?

Then I thought about maintenance. If some day I want to add new texts to my application. How to do it fast? Do I have to enter the text in the message pool, then switch to package explorer and edit all _xx.xlf files also? I cant even use copy&paste there.

After developing a JSF based application with I8N I thought that XLF files are good things to make translations easier, since I know about the support for I8N in ABAP environment. Now it seems to me that they just add a lot of overhead. What are the advantages?

Looking forward to suggestions, hints and comments

Rene

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rene,

Just by creating _de.xlf will not translate your texts. You've to put the translated text in S2X editor, (ofcourse you might have read it in the tutorial). Do a "Reload+rebuild" - dont forget this. Change your portal laguage and try again. It worked for me!

Coming to maintenance, I think the only option is to do it manually in studio. For now, we've to live with it. Or somebody, please enlighten us.

Regards,

Rajit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Rajit,

I missed the reload+rebuild part...

Anyone know of any advantages of this S2X editor? When comparing S2X editor to editing the data with a simple ascii editor (even notepad) I like the ascii editor more due to the power of copy and paste

But I cant edit the generated properties files...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rene,

The .properties file is regenerated everytime you modify .xlf. So probably its not a good idea to modify .properties and leave it alone.

And just like the other framework genrated files like .wd*, this .xlf HAS to be there so that java classes are generated "nicely" in the end.

And its quiet ok to modify .xlf with an ascii editor i feel.

Rajit

Former Member
0 Kudos

I know how to use it but unfortunately they dont tell me why they invented XLF...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajit,

I dont think one should edit XLF files with an ascii editor. Only if using the S2X editor the corresponding .properties file gets updated after saving XLF file.

Regards

Rene

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are right. How did I miss it?