cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error upgrading from SP09 to SP12

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all.

I am using the SAPinst tool to upgrade a J2EE 6.40 engine running on MSSQL from SP09 to SP12. However, the upgrade process stops with an error when it reaches the step "Deploy JDDI". The problem arises when the tool uses SDM to obtain a DB connection. In the log file callSdmViaSapinst.log I found the following exception:

com.sap.sql.log.OpenSQLException: Could not load class com.ddtek.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerDriver.

Stack trace of original Exception or Error is:

com.sap.sql.log.OpenSQLException: Could not load class com.ddtek.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerDriver.

at com.sap.sql.log.Syslog.createAndLogOpenSQLException(Syslog.java:106)

at com.sap.sql.jdbc.NativeConnectionFactory.createNativeConnection(NativeConnectionFactory.java:147)

at com.sap.sql.connect.OpenSQLDataSourceImpl.createConnection(OpenSQLDataSourceImpl.java:500)

at com.sap.sql.connect.OpenSQLDataSourceImpl.getConnection(OpenSQLDataSourceImpl.java:254)

at

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.ddtek.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerDriver

at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:199)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:187)

I looks like SDM cannot find the database driver class. I tried to manually deploy the files using SDM RemoteGUI, but I get the same error.

I have a copy of the DDTEK drivers. But where should I put these jar-files, so SDM can find them? Do I need to configure a classpath somewhere, or why is this error occurring?

Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Jakob

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone

we were in the Middle of the Upgrade Process from SP09 to SP13 as this Problem has struck upon us too ...

The Workaround of Mr. Recktenwald has not really worked for us.

Is there any other Solution known by now ?

Any official Statement from SAP regarding this Problem ?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance

HenrikD
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I had the same problem upgrading from SP12 to SP13.

I am not sure if this is the official way, but it worked for me

1 – Make a backup of all files in \usr\sap\<SID>\JC<Instance #>\j2ee\jdbc

2 – Start applying support package (sapinst.exe)

3 – When the upgrade process stops with JDBC error (see C:\Program Files\sapinst_instdir\PATCH\MSS\callSdmViaSapinst.log)

4 – Make a backup of all files in \usr\sap\<SID>\JC<Instance #>\j2ee\jdbc

5 – Copy the files from the first backup (step 1) to \usr\sap\<SID>\JC<Instance #>\j2ee\jdbc.

6 – Press Retry to start the upgrade again.

7 – After the upgrade has finished stop the J2EE 6.40 engine.

8 - Copy the files from the first backup (step 4) to \usr\sap\<SID>\JC<Instance #>\j2ee\jdbc.

9 – Start ConfigTool and apply SAP Note # 872060 - Change of connection parameters for MSS JDBC driver to Secure Store.

10 – Start the J2EE 6.40 engine again.

Best regards,

Henrik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Henrik,

Thanks for the tips. It works fine.

In the meantime I found a quicker fix.

The problem occurs when you upgrade to SP12 or later release because the upgrade procedure replaces ddtek JDBC drivers originally from Datadirect with new SAP own ones (I don't know why they changed it...).

Unfortunately when you upgrade a WAS using encrypted secure store (requiring stong encryption with unlimitted strength policy + activated encryption in Configtool).

The upgrade procedure is then just unable to access the secure store (I guess, by wrong design) to update the jdbc driver Classname and Url to access the MSSql Server (you can see the eror in the msdup.log file, but it does not stop the procedure at this stage and fails later on).

So one way to fix the problem is to update manually the Classname and URL in configtool when the upgrade fails loading JDBC Driver.

To do this u need to run configtool (you will get an error because it can't connect to DB but simply ignore it) then select "secure store" and update JDBC Classname and URL with following value from note SAP note 872060:

New Classname should be : com.sap.nwmss.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerDriver

And Url should start with : jdbc:nwmss:sqlserver:...

Once you saved this changes and exit configtool, You can click retry in your sapinst popup and installation should continue normally.

Please award points if it is of any help.

Kind regards

Frank

adam_recktenwald
Explorer
0 Kudos

Well... this might be a solution:

Copy the JDBC Drivers from a previous install or separate DI to the new install after it fails. Then 'Retry' once you've copied. The SDM / J2EE can then connect to the DB and continue the install.

\usr\sap\<SID>\JC<Instance #>\j2ee\jdbc\

Files: base.jar

spy.jar

sqlserver.jar

util.jar

It does seem to work, however, I'm not yet comfortable with it as there are some changes in these files and I'm not sure how those changes will affect the rest of the install.

If anyone knows, please chime in!

Thanks.

-Adam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jakob,

Finally did you resolve your problem. I am facing the same issue upgrading from SP11 to SP13 ?

How did you manage ?

Regards,

Frank

adam_recktenwald
Explorer
0 Kudos

I would also be interested in this.

I have this problem upgrading from SP12 to SP13.

Thanks!

-Adam