cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assigning value in the records

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a business scenario in which I am creating vendor and extending it for 320 company codes.

Now suppose I have to make change in the phone number in the data manager in place of XYZ to ABC.

Do I have to go and make change 320 place in the data manager or there is any method by the help of validation rule. So that I will write that rule and run on the set of the record automatically system will change phone number for those set of records from XYZ to ABC.

If you know any such validation or with help of assignment rules then please just let me know that validation rule or u have any idea please do share with me.

Thanks,

Rohit

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

I have checked based on your requirement.

Use Free - Form search method, for example if you need to replace value in the Phone number field containing 123 with 456 then follow the pocedure.

1. In the Data manager, select Free form search tab in the search parameters pan.

2. In the Phone number field, select the suitable operator like 'contains' or 'start with' and put the suitable value in order to search those records.

3. If you see in the records pan, the records are filtered corresponding to value.

4. Now select all the records in the record pan

5. In the record details pan, If the Phone number is not a qualified lookup then directly edit the value and replace the same with the correct one.

6. Else if the phone numebr is qualified lookup then on the field value, click the right button of the mouse, it will show with popup for View/ Edit details and select the same to edit.

7. Again a pop up screen will come up with the Phone number details (Qualified table details). In which click on 'edit' tab for editing the field value to replace with correct value.

8. By which you can replace the value in the field of multiple records in one go.

I hope this solution will resolve your problem.

Regards,

Harish

former_member201266
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

Validation are used to find only which rows contains which values and not to permit users from entering those values.

I recommend you to use assignment. Just create a new assignment and select the table field as 'Phone Number' and open the assignment expression dialog box

and type the follow expression

if(phone_number = 'XYZ', 'ABC');

here Phone_number is the field name and its checked to value to 'XYZ' if its matched then 'ABC' is replaced with it.

in case of any other issues please let me know

Thanks

Charan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Charan,

I have tried this option before also. I am getting no assignmnet error and the field is changing to TRUE .

Suppose i have taken phone number field then at the phone number value it is chnaging TRUE. Do i have to do some more setting .I ahve already chosen assigned fields as phone number.

Thanks,

Rohit

former_member201266
Contributor
0 Kudos

No other setting are required; but make a slight change in the expression as

if(phone_number = XYZ , ABC , phone_number)

i am also a bit confused with the single cote for string; but i have tested this it works fine without single cotes also; the only thing required is else condition; if you wont provide the else condition it's taking it by default as TRUE if provide the same field then if the value is not matched then the same value is going to retain.

In case of further issues plz let me know

Thanks,

Charan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Could you please little more specific about the same.

Thanks,

Rohit

former_member201266
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

if(phone_number = XYZ , ABC , phone_number)

See we are checking the phone_number filed, first we are checking for the condition; which in this case is wether the value of any row in phone_number column is 'XYZ' if it matches the replace it with 'ABC' else preserve the same value which exists.

for example

phone_number

III

ABC

UEU

XYZ

KKK

LLL

JDD

suppose these are the values under phone_number field and we are applying assignment to all of them; now it will first check as

III = XYZ it does not match so III is preserved.

ABC = XYZ it does not match so III is preserved

XYZ = XYZ it does match so XYZ is replaced with ABC

in this way records are compared and values are changed.

If you do not provide the else statement then MDM considers the default values as "TRUE" and assigns it to the record. so its must to provide the else value in the if statement to have the expression completed.

I hope this will clear you dought; any thing else please let me know

Regards,

Charan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Charan,

Suggest you run the first assignment where you check for the particular value and if it is found then the system indicates it with a true . Then run a second assignment where you search for true and replace with the desired value.

Regards,

Anita

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anita,

Could you please put some light how to make this assignments in Data manager.

If my phone number is XYZ and now chnaged to ABC. Which level (standard,local cou ntry) i ahve to select in the table of the phone number.

Looking for your reply.

Thanks,

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit ,

Are you using a qualified table for your phone numbers ? If that is the case then I guess the phone number value change has to be made w.r.t a value in the main table for eg: in DM if you search for all customers from the UK, and write the logic for the replacement.

If you have an ordinary field which stores your phone number then you could straight away write your logic to replace the values.

To create an assignment:

click on the assignments tab , right click and create a new assignment., your couls a suitable name and description. In the assigment field create teh assignment expression using the expressiong builder .

in the assignment field maintian the field hwere you want the value of the assignment maintianed.

in your case it could be very simple , create an if then expression check if the field phone has value xyz and provide hte value to be replaced eg: if (phone(xyz),abc)

you could also do it in two steps depending on your requirement .

Do try this and let me know if your problem is solved ,

Regards,

Anita