cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default settings

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

My suggestion: set for new participants all default settings in the control panel for 'Watch preferences' to 'Yes'. Now we very often have such a sutiation when newbies post their first questions and forget to come back. Due to these new default settings newbies will receive mails when someone answers their questions reminding them to come back.

Best regards,

Eugene

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

As far as sending half a response - no thanks.

I would hate to be forced to come back to SDN to review the reply! What's next, force me to look at ads to see a reply?

Often a post is just a "Thank you, you solved my problem" and you would want to force the contributor to go back to the forum just to see that? Don't waste my time like that!!!

If a new poster gets a useful answer to their post, they'll be back - no need to force them.

As far as setting Watch status, I think one way to handle it would be if you could determine if it was a person's first post, or has fewer than X posts, and set their watch status automatically, or give them a popup to remind them. After more than a few posts, they shouldn't need to be reminded. I think a real nice idea would be to send a brief introductory e-mail that could let them know what the watch status is, what points are, etc.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not a bad idea Pizzaman, an introduction email of some sort could work as a nice reminder.

thomasalexander_ritter
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

very nice idea which should be easy to implement. Furthermore nearly every forum I come across uses this default setting so people should be used to it.

regards

Thomas

athavanraja
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Look at it from a different angle.

He gets his answer in his mail box, why he has to come back to SDN, unless otherwise he had more questions?

Regards

Raja

former_member374
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Raja,

> He gets his answer in his mail box, why he has to

> come back to SDN, unless otherwise he had more

> questions?

Interesting angle, what could be done is to only give half the answer in the email, so they have to go visit the forum to get the whole answer.

But we can also change the text of the email message to remind people to go and give points. A solution that I like better.

What are your thoughts?

Let us know, Mark.

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

By not putting any fraction of the answer/response in the email, it forces that person to go back to there post and read what people have posted. While they are already there, its just a matter of clicking the button to reward points.

I would suggest changing the email to say something like, "someone has posted an answer to your question on SDN", maybe a link to the post, and a reminder of how to reward points. I would not put any answers in this mail.

That's my two cents.

Regards,

Rich Heilman

athavanraja
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I go with Rich.

Regards

Raja

thomasalexander_ritter
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think the current way is just fine. Sometimes you really do not have the time to open the browser and check the complete thread. Furthermore when accessing sdn from home or work it is often horrible slow (I think there were some discussions about performance and backup systems at the sdn conferences) so the ability to check the answers "offline" is nice.

Furthermore I know a lot consultants who do not have internet access at their customer site and so are not able to access sdn. But they can check their mails (with useful answers) using a simple j2me mail client.

It is really worth to remove all these useful possibilities only because it is a way to make sure that people are assigning points?

In my opinion: No.

regards

Thomas

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

I guess I take my internet access for granted. High speed at work and at home. Good points, Thomas.

Regards,

Rich Heilman

eddy_declercq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As long as the offline posibilities don't make forget to answer/reward the solutions proposed like in

Luckily, Alex came back to it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Certainly, for new participants only - default settings for a new SDN user.

When newbies are experinced enough then could make all settings they want.

Best regards,

Eugene

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eugene,

Methinks that's a good idea. It is often frustrating to find that the guy who asks the question does not come back. He/she may not have expected that their questions would get answered really soon. And they usually tend to search for other means of solving their problem.

Regards,

Anand Mandalika.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Provided it's for new people and doesn't automatically get set for everyone as default I think it's good too

I personally don'T want to get my inbox spammed by SDN forum threads