Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call a ABAP Web Service externally

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have a question on ABAP Web Service:

is it possible for Company A to call a ABAP Web Service from Company B externally? If yes, how would the it be done? How would the authority be controled? The calling of a Web Service externally, is there anything to do with XI?

Looking forward to your help!

Thanks!

Hua

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Authority check failed!

i have thi problem when i publish my web service....

anyone of you can help me how can i resolve this problem pls?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hua,

Thomas's weblogs are a great help if you want to do anything with ABAP webservice. Please also note that SAP applications based on WAS 6.20 can also expose web services ( all RFC function modules and BAPI's ). Use BSP applications WEBSERVICEBROWSER to generate WSDL for ABAP RFC and BAPI FM ( Txn SE80 ).

Regards,

Sanjeev

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Yes it is possible. It is possible with or without XI (based upon the WebAS release you are on). WebAS 640 has extensive functionality over WebAS620. Authority can be controlled in several different ways (HTTP authentication -Basic or HTTPS, Client Certificates, WebService Profiles).

There is lots of good on-line help and a sub-area of Web AS on SDN dedicated to Web Services where you can find many of your answers.

You can also check out my weblogs. I have written on the subject of ABAP WebServices without XI several times. There are real world examples from my compnay.

One thing that I might add is that that if you are going to call outside of your company's network you will likely have to configure the client proxy settings in transaction SICF.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Thomas,

is it possible to call a Web Service from within an ABAP procedure without XI on WebAS620?

is it possible to make a generic HTTP call to exchange XML data without being a Web Service?

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

>is it possible to call a Web Service from within an ABAP procedure without XI on WebAS620?

Yes - although it is much easier and better in WebAS 640 with the introduction of proxy generation.

>is it possible to make a generic HTTP call to exchange XML data without being a Web Service?

Certainly. The ICM can act as an HTTP Client. There is an ABAP class CL_HTTP_CLIENT that can be used. I have a weblog on that very topic. I don't receive XML - just text, but that is a minor different. You would then of course be responsible for parsing the XML (you might consider using the iXML libraries in ABAP).