cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarifications regarding logon groups

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I need some info regarding logon groups. I know we can create and maintain logon groups using txn SMLG.

I'd like to know exactly what logon groups are?

For what purposes do we need them? i was told that logon groups are normally used when debugging applns (so as not to hinder performance). Can anybody throw more light on this? Thanks!

cheers

Prachi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Prachi,

the Logon group is most useful when you have clustered system architecture for your R/3 server. Suppose in a production environment you have 2 or 4 physical servers maintained for you single R/3 system - this is a very common scenario. Now when a user comes to logon - his logon should be redirected to the server node with least amount of load at that point of time. Where the load calculation is done by the message server - this logon group helps routing the user request to the actual server with least load. If you dont use Logon group you are basically asking to logon into a predefined server node among these 2 or 4 nodes. But when you use Logon groups you are basically taking the benifit of the system to decide where your logon should take place actually. Following is a line from SAP Help:

<i>Log on to a group. In this case, the application server with the best response time is selected automatically</i>

Hope it helps!!!

Shubhadip

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shubhadip,

thanx for the info!

Answers (0)