cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error "RFC call failed: partner not reached " when configuring RZ70.

Former Member
0 Kudos

(not sure best place to post this - if there is better forum, please let me know...)

I am trying to configure an R/3 system to connect to SLD by following instructions in help.sap.com for "Configuring Systems to Connect to SLD". (The ultimate goal here is to call a BAPI from a JAVA webDynpro running in Portal.)

Followed steps in sub-section "Configuring the SLD Data Supplier". It says to...

1) call tran RZ70

2) in SLD Bridge: Gateway info box, enter "Host" and "Service"

3) utilize default settings

5) activate

and test (without scheduling)

Testing gives messages...

Used RFC destination: SLD_NUC

RFC call failed: partner not reached (host ap01, service sapgw00) / CPI-C error

I can also generate this message by going to SM59 and "test connection" for destination SLD_NUC.

Going to SM21, I see message Communication error, CPIC return code 026, SAP return code 236, with 236 being "No connection to gateway".

Going to C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\services (on AP01), I see...

sapgw00 3300/tcp # SAP System Gateway Central Instance Port

System Landscape is as follows...

hostname of R/3 = ER33

hostname of SLD = AP01

In RZ70, I have...

Host=AP01 ... (R3 points to SLD gateway)

Service=SAPGW00

In SLD : Data Supplier Bridge Admin, I have RFC Gateway...

Server=AP01 ... (DataSupBridg points to its own [SLD] gateway)

Service=SAPGW00

Any insight as to why am getting message "RFC call failed: partner not reached..." would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

--Dean Atteberry.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dean,

Firstly, thanks for the detailed information of the error. It appears that you've had a good look at this.

Forget rz70 at the moment, you need to see whether your Registered Server Program, SLD_NUC, is running on the target host, AP01. So, logon to AP01 and run transaction smgw, then choose Goto > Logged on Clients and look to see whether there is a program SLD_NUC running there from your source host. When that is running, then the rfc will work as will rz70.

Regards,

Graham

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Graham, Thank you for your reply.

AP01 is the system with the SLD and portal on it and to the best of my knowledge, there is not an R/3 system on it, so I cannot logon to it to get to SMGW. If this is important, then I can try to contact the people who maintain systems to verify if there is an R/3 system or not on this server.

However, in AP01, there is a definition of SLD_NUC (and SLD_UC) in the J2EE Engine Visual Administrator under Cluster->Server->Services->JCo RFC Provider. It contains a window with the "Available RFC Destinations" and here are listed SLD_NUC and SLD_UC. However, they have a stop-sign-icon next to them and when I try to start them the error message "Error starting bundle, see LOG for details" is displayed. Haven't used VisualAdmin very much, so not sure where the log is that the message is referring to.

I googled SLD_NUC and only got nine hits on the topic. Any idea what this SLD_NUC is and what it does? How does it fit into getting RZ70 to send its collected data over an RFC channel to the SLD?

I appreciate your taking a look a this.

Dean.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Additional info.....

First, regards what is installed on the AP01 server. Is windows machine - found folder path \usr\sap\J2E\with subfolders JC01, SCS00 , SYS. When I run SAP Console, I see in tree control SAP systems with J2E under it. Below J2E are two instances of AP01 - instance 0 and instance 1.

From a logging in point of view - I can log into SLD as administrator at AP01:50100/SLD.

I also did some research into SAP gateways. Was mentioned that the gateway service needed to be running. Said to look for gwrd.exe in Manage/Services from RM myComputer. Also said to look in ControlPanel->Admin->Services and look for SAPGWS_##. I cound not find either of these services. If they are needed, I will pursue getting them installed.

Thank you,

--Dean.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dean, seems that you don't have installed the Gateway Standalone, for ECC (R/3) to be able to publish its own information into the SLD you need a gateway instance (abab doen't talk with Java AS naturally), you can easily install it with the installation master, check for standalone engines, takes about 3 min.

Also, once installed check for instance number, most of the time will be installed as 00, but sometimes it does change. With that number, you will have to go back to the SLD administration section and reconfigure the SLD Data Supplier (or provider, don't remember), and go back to RZ70 to also configure the gateway port (sapgwXX being XX the instance).

Once installed, you will see three instances on the sap console. And that is it, now you can trigger the data transfer on RZ70 and should work.

Regards!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

09/06/2007 - Follow-up answer...

Given the amount of effort I have expended in resolving this "partner not reached" problem that I was having, please to allow me to pass along the final analysis of the situation.

The answer is "no". (But it was a polite No.)

Strange analysis, huh? Well, it goes like this... The R/3 back-end I was attempting to call from the Java webDynpro was in what is considered the "sandbox zone". Our portal is in what is considered the "internal network zone". The sandbox zone is a high-security zone and is not allowed to communicate with the internal network zone.

According to the network person I spoke with, they use VLAN's (virtual lan) to group like-zoned machines togther and there are firewalls between the sandbox zone vlan's and the internal network vlan's.

Therefore, due to security considerations, never shall the twain meet. 8-) I love learning new stuff!! (I also got to find out about subnets and subnet masks and also "the third level of the OSI model, but that is another story for another day...)