cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xMII 12.0: Unable to write file...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

lately we are facing some problems using xMII. One point is that you can easily move file or folder inside the xMII 12.0 workbench because there is no confirmation popup when clicking on a folder and move it by chance.

Apparently I have moved a folder, and it seems that I produced a Catalog Server Error according to the log. Now xMII seems to be confused, because we are now getting lots of error of the kind "Unable to wirte file..." like this:

Unable to write file D:\usr\sap\MES\JC00\j2ee\cluster\server0\apps\sap.com\XMIIEnterpriseApplication\servlet_jsp\XMII\root\CM/Development/USER/xml/treestructure.xml

Have you already encountered such an error? Is it because of the "/" and "\" signs that are mixed inside the URL? Or could it be the Catalog Error mentioned above?

Thanks for a hint!

Best regards

Michael

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Michael,

You will happy to know that the problematic/inadvertant moving and renaming of objects in the Workbench tree has been address in 12.0 SP01. You now much cut/copy and paste in order to refactor content objects (much more deliberate effort). You also must right-click rename (or use the menu system) for individual files.

Here is a thought on how to 'recover' to a more stable state in your system. Do a project export from the administration page in the Menu and confirm that all of the content is there. After the confirmation delete the project to hopefully purge any 'broken' effect. Then reimport the project and see if the workbench and the catalog is happy with the newly refreshed content.

Another thing to try might be to restart WebAS to force the republishing effect that is going on with the D:\usr\sap... path.

Best Regards,

Jeremy Good

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jeremy,

sorry for the late answer. As we have just got the xMII 12.0 SR1 for Unix, which will be installed end of month, I hope that many issues will be solved.

I guess we mostly have our project stable again, with one problem. Along the development we have to deploy files to the CM directory inside xMII. At the beginning we have used the "import" feature of xMII workbench which was much of a clicking. We then used the Windows Explorer to drag and drop files.

However, I guess the buffer synchronization of xMII cleans up the folder regularly, because our manually copied files are deleted from time to time.

Do you have any recommendation for this deploying files procedure, other than using the xMII import feature?

Thanks and regards

Michael

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Michael,

If you are manually placing files into the D:\usr\sap\.... path, then yes the application synch process does flush and repopulate the CM directories that WebAS uses (not sure the frequency, but if you restart WebAS it will most likely flush this out and restore from the project database object level).

Can you elaborate a little bit on what sort of files you are attempting to copy to the server, where they originate, and the purpose?

Best Regards,

Jeremy Good

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jeremy,

we are using xMII in combination with Adobe Flex. So xMII is going to talk to the database, and Flex as the presentation layer is calling xMII transactions to get the data.

The HTML wrapper that Flex creates and the SWF-Files are stored in the CM folder of xMII so that we can include it in the xMII Portal using the navigation wizard of xMII.

In xMII we have set up a sandbox project, so the file structure in xMII is "xMII-Root\Sandbox\Data" (Catalog) and "xMII-Root\Sandbox\WEB\Data" (Web).

When using the xMII workbench we are importing the SWF-Files into "xMII-Root\Sandbox\WEB\Data". In Flex-Builder we have set up an ant-file that deploys the SWF-Files directly into the "xMII-Root\CM\Sandbox\Data" folder after changing them. However, when only using the ant file, the copied files are gone the next day, when the WebAS restores the contents, I guess.

Using the ant files of course is much easier than using the import feature of the workbench. Maybe you can recommend a better way of deploying?

Best Regards

Michael

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Have you tried creating a project zip file archive in your ant script and then just loading the single file through the Project admin screen from the Menu.jsp?

For a sample archive just export your current project from the admin screen, then formulate your zip file containing your updated swf files and import them back in.

The zip file will merge content into your project meaning new files in the zip will be added to the project and existing files in the project will be replaced, but files existing in the project but not in the zip file will be untouched.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jeremy,

thank you for this interesing hint, I haven't tried this import project feature before. It is a bit faster using this import than importing the file inside the workbench.

I guess we should use a two ways strategy of uploading new files: First upload all the files using the project import, so all the files are known to the WebAS. Then during the test / implement / deploy cycle, we use the ant script which directly copies the new file to the server.

The ant script works quite well as long as the WebAS buffer does not kill the files.

Regards

Michael