cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master Data duplicated in MDM ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

in our company we have SAP R/3, ISU and CRM. When we would use MDM for central master data maintenance, does this mean that we <u>duplicate</u> all this master data in MDM or how does this work?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Frederik,

I would not use the term "duplicate" in this case. A duplicate means that you have two or more (more or less) identical records in one single system. If you have identical records in various systems (e.g. CRM, R/3 and MDM), you speak of "identicals".

Regarding your question: it is correct that you have to load the data from your systems into MDM first. MDM offers buildt-in data extractors for your SAP systems. Doing this you could consolidate your data within the systems - meaning you could search for duplicates in R/3, CRM, etc. You could harmonize your data in the various system - meaning that you could ensure that your identicals have really the same data, etc.

If you then use MDM for a central master data maintenance, you'd create all data in MDM and then distribute it to your other systems. This ensures that the data is equal through all of your systems.

BR Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Michael,

I have a query, Suppose i am not using MDM as central master creation and using R/3 as creation and cleansing in MDM and againg distribution to R/3 and other systems.

What will be the impact .

As per my understanding if supppsoe i ahve V1 V2 and V3 records in R/3 and in MDM if consolidated and merged as they are duplicate V2 and V3 are merged in V1 then in R/3 V2 and V3's all fiels will be changed to V1 fiels and vendor number will be same as V1 V2 V3 or a only V1 fields will be changed as V2 and V3 and

fields of V2 and V3 will be same as it was before merging.

Thanks,

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Michael,

so the disk space in MDM wil be the same as the disk space we need for the master data in R/3, ISU and CRM together in this case?

An idea (or dream?): is it possible to run CRM with the CRM master data only in MDM for example? (no masterdata in CRM)

1 central master data server for all the master data?

Frederik

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Frederik,

I think you don't need so much disk space. The record in MDM will be stored only once physically on the database (as the attributes are the same). Additionally you'll have three remote keys to link the record with their systems. But a single remote key does not need so much space. (You may check today's Remote Key topic in the forum for additional info )

I think this could be possible, at least from a theoretical approach. Practically there will be a lot of "ifs" in the way:

- first of all each CRM process has to be designed in a way to read (request) its data from MDM

- MDMs data model must cover all CRM data which is really to be discussed in a central master data scenario that shall cover an R/3 system as well. The reason is that not all CRM related data is required by R/3 and vice versa

Nevertheless it's an interessting topic. Let's see what the future will bring...

BR Michael

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

in MDM the merge is currently a completly manual step. This means that you can define which attributes of which record will build the new, merged record. In addition, the new merged record will have all the key mapping information of V1, V2, V3. What's going to happen in your R/3 systems depends on how you syndicate the data back to R/3.

You could choose to update all records V1, V2, V3 in R/3 with the data of the merged record in MDM. That's correct. But all records in R/3 will keep their old key. A change of record keys is not possible in R/3.

Alternatively you could choose to update the "leading" record in R/3 only (in your case V1) and the others remain as they are. But this really depends on what you want to do with your data in R/3.

BR Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

According to my understanding V1 will be updated with the values V2 and V3.

Example if email id is blank in V1 before merge and after merge V1 will get the values of V2 and V3.

V2 and V3 will be same in the system as they were before the merge..

So i will be having now three records 1 will be cleansed and 2 will be same as they were before merging.

Thanks,

Rohit

Answers (0)