cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Key Mapping

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I am new to MDM and I want to know about Remote key mapping. Why and when we do Remote key mapping? What's the need of Remote key mapping?

All help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Varun Agarwal.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Remote key mapping trigger you have to do at Console level with yes.

When in import manager you are doing mapping from source system to destination system.

In source system you ahve to select the main table for example vendor then you have to clone this field and you ahve to map this main vendor field to destination field vendor field and reote key of destination to the clone of the vendor field.

This mapping will help you in data manager when you merge two records at that time you will get pop-up with the key mapping and with the remote system.

Hope this will help you.

Thanks,

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

Thanks alot for your help. But still I have one doubt. Does this means that we use Remote Key Mapping only when we need to merge some records.

Thanks,

Varun Agarwal.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It is not like that. I just given example to see the neccesity of the key mapping.

Thanks,

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Could you please give me some more examples of Remote Key Mapping.

Thanks,

Varun.

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Varun,

a Remote Key in MDM is the key of the record in its original system. This information is very valuable for the different MDM scenarios.

In a consolidation scenario you load records for one or more original systems into MDM. Then you usually match and merge the records. With the remote keys you can check after the match and merge, which of your records are duplicates or identicals. This information is commonly used in BI scenarios for reporting.

In harmonization and central master data maintenance scenarios, the remote key has an additional role. Those scenarios contain an update of existing records in the original system. Imagine you have loaded records from CRM into MDM. In MDM you update the records. Now you want to send the records back to CRM. How does CRM know, which records are comming from MDM? This is where you use the remote key. The MDM Syndicator is able to set the correct CRM key information in the message sent to CRM. Thus CRM is able to update the correct records.

Additionally there are remote keys for customizing data respectivle look up tables. If you have a look at the countries for example, each country has a unique key but may have several language dependent texts. If you send country information from CRM to MDM, the message will contain the unique key, but not the text. This is done to keep the messages as small as possible. But it needs remote keys in MDM to do this.

BR Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks alot Michael.

Varun

Answers (0)