cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple versions on one box

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Could someone help me with the below questions.

We have multiple MaxDB databases running on one box for EC and BW. There is a requirement to upgrade the BW database software, to do this do I have to upgrade the other databases on the box? Though my OS is Linux, I would also like to know the possibilities in windows environement.

If we can have multiple versions of databases on one box, are there any known problems. If the database version are different, how does the common services or executables work (eg:- I understand that there is only on XSERVER per box) and which folders are updated (is it only "database_dependent_path" or "independent_program_path" as well)?

Please advise

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member229109
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

The database software installed in "independent_program_path" is downward compatible.

You could run the different versions of the databases on one server, if you have

enough OS resources.

The installation distinguishes between different software directories, please review information at SAP link:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/23/d1a03cc24efd1de10000000a114084/frameset.htm

&&

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/ea/30fad3f52cad4bb0aa37a5b94274d7/content.htm

Thank you and best regards, Natalia Khlopina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. "Do I have to upgrade the other databases on the box?" -- It depends on your software and instance setup. If the multiple instances are installed under different directories. For e.g., the two instances 773 and 763 are installed under different directories on my PC:

> dbmcli db_enum

773 C:\sapdb\773\db 7.7.03.16 fast running

763 C:\sapdb\763\db 7.6.03.06 fast offline

> dbmcli inst_enum

7.7.03.16 C:\sapdb\773\db

7.6.03.06 C:\sapdb\763\db

If the EC and BW instances are installed under different directories, you can upgrade them independently of each other. This behavior is similar on all OS.

2. There are no known problems running multiple versions of databases on one box. When you update one instance, the database_dependent_path is updated. If the independent_program_path contains programs of an older version or build, it is updated as well.

Hope this helps,

Ashwath