cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Migration from 32bit to IX64 using R3load on 46C

Former Member
0 Kudos

Could anybody clarify this specific point ?

We are migrating from windows 2000 32 bit, Oracle 9.2 and SAP 46C with a 46D Kernel. We are using R3load and the export is fine.

Has anybody imported into windows 2003 64 bit with Oracle 9.2 IX32 plus SAP 46C with a 46D_EXT kernel? (I know it is only IA64 that has 64 bit support for Oracle 9)

In theory the above combination is not supported, however it would probably be easier doing this and then migrating to Oracle 10g, than getting an Oracle specific Central.R3S and altering the database template build file to create the Oracle 10 specific tablespaces.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you assume that quite a few customers will have to move from 32 bit architecture to 64 bit ( IX 64 ) and there are a few left on 46C, then there should be one route that is recommended ( ultimately 2003 64bit, Oracle 10g 64 bit ( IX64 ) and ECC 6 )

Our Database is quite small so we can use R3load, which has to be better than the r3copy type method referred to in note 932722.

The real crux is whether you can install Oracle at 9.2 or not, the oss notes suggest not for IX64 ( IA64 a different story).

Therefore you have to install at 10g, which is fine with R3load.

However you need a central.r3s that is 46C and points to/utilises a 10 Database, which we can get from INSORA102_0-10002548.SAR. The other gotcha is a dbsize.tpl that specifies the new 10g tablespace PSAPUNDO & SAPSAUX, which I can't find for the moment.

Has anybody been down this path ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

most people go with 932722. it is much faster and has minor sources for problems than r3load based copy.

if you do not like to work with 932722, you stil have the option to upgrade your source system to 10g and the performe the copy.

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Peter, in most circumstances people would use r3copy because of the size of their database, however we want to change the SID and we do not want to work on the source system because it is Productive. In addition it is a small database, so R3load is ideal. Since R3load is the basis for heterogeneous copies, our scenario should be ideal.

You don't know of any customer that have utilised R3load for this migration ( IX64 ) ?

I am surprised that the process for 32 bit to 64 bit for IX64 on 46C is not fully documented, rather than some oss notes which are not fully consistent.

Former Member
0 Kudos

fully documentation is typically available for product combinations that are supported at release time of an SAP product.

Additional Operating System support and Database Support is ever distributed per OSS note.

The notes are not consistent? well, if so please tell me what is not consistent.

Concerning your questions about new tablespace layout.

The installation on X64 will work with the Export Load from the origin 4.6 Installation (I run them by myself). This one does not have those new tablespaces at all. I did not know, how exactly it works, but I assume that the attributes (TS-Size) for PSAPUNDO is calculated of PSAPROLLs size and location and SYSAUX is created with a default size and location.

As in most cases the created database will be optimized anyway after the installation, this procedure is a good combination of new feature and old product support.

hope this helps.

peter

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

According to Oracle Metalink 343737.1:

[...]

Oracle has however certified the 32-Bit Client software

from 9.2.0.x onwards to run on the Windows XP 64-Bit x64 / Windows 2003 64-Bit

x64 operating systems.

[...]

So technically it should be possible, however, I don't know about 32bit compatibility of 46D_EXT on Windows x64, there was a note about this but notes search in SMP is defective actually (I don't get a single note).

What are you planning to do?

Windows x64

Oracle 9.2 32Bit?

46D_EXT 32bit?

How will you go on from there? Will you try to upgrade from 9.2 32bit to 10g 64bit?

--

Markus

former_member433984
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Windows x64

> Oracle 9.2 32Bit?

> 46D_EXT 32bit?

this is supported neither by SAP nor by Oracle

you can run 9.2 on x86 as 32 bit, or on IA64 as 64 bit application - but not as 32-bit application on x64

if you decide to go on Oracle 10, you can check notes

<a href="https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/932722">Note 932722 - Upgrade to Oracle 10.2 during a database copy</a>

<a href="https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/976457">Note 976457 - Oracle 10g Support on Windows: 4.6D-Based SAP Systems</a>

Former Member
0 Kudos

to be more precise:

Windows X64

Oracle 10.2 64 Bit

46D_EXT 32 Bit

this is the only combination supported on X64.

refere to the notes Yaroslav has listed for more detailed information.

Peter