cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Dynpro, EJB and R/3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

I have an application that will produce some reports extracted from R/3 and we're defining its architecture. For it, we have the following scenario:

The ABAPs are standard (we cannot create Abap Z) that produce only data that want be worked before to be showed to the user and we would like to use Web Dynpro to expose these reports in SAP Portal.

With our little knowledge, we have designed the following architecture:

The ABAPs will be called from EJB components using JCO. The EJBs will generate Javabeans (DTO) from the data worked. Then, the data will be exposed using Web Dynpro.

Is it the best solution for our necessity?

If anybody knows a better solution, we will be grateful.

Best regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Well what kind of report extraction are you looking at. If i understand correctly you have some abap reports which query some tables and give data.

If you use EJB like you said how are you planning to get the data from the ABAP report. As far as i know you need a function module to retrieve the data.

In short when you say standard ABAP report are you meaning ABAP Reports (Traditional ABAP reports in se38) or just some function modules that get you the required information.

If they are function modules then use the Adaptive RFC model.

If this is what you are trying to achieve then let us know and we could give you a suggested approach.

regards

ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi!

No, my reports are only a web interface for ABAP function modules.

As far as I know, the problem is that my data wants to be worked (business logic) before expose it to the user. And I don't know if its possible using Adaptive RFC model. I would like to encapsulate my business logic and not put it in the Custom Controllers. Then, the idea of use EJB.

In resume: I wanna design an application that calls ABAP function modules, work the data and expose it using Web Dynpro.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you can work out in the ABAP side it will be simpler if u encapsulate this RFC in another RFC where u perform the business logic also and just provide a interface to WebDynpro ..

Creating EJBs is fine..But its unnecessary.. and not very good practice as too many systems are involved (without any requirement as such !)...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

What kind of work is required on the data. You can write the logic in the function module itself. If i understand correctly you say it is not possible to use "Z" programs in your case.All are standard. Is there any possibility to use "Z" programs. In that way you can write the logic for data handling there and then make use of Adaptive RFC Model.

If you cannot use "Z" programs then what you are doing suits your case :).

regards

ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi, Hi Bharathwaj!

My system is a kind of 'order traceability' that will provide cotation and order reports to users in a B2B system. The user requirements aren't covered in the standard programs and wants to be created in the application. We cannot create Z programs. Then, I want to create business components to encapsulate these requirements. I suggest use EJBs but, if you have a better idea, I will be grateful!

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

If i understand correctly, you are not going to touch anything on the R/3 end, but you are going to do some modification on data before you send it to the R/3. Am i correct. But if you say the standard programs in abap dont suit customer needs then what kind of modification do they want that has to be handled outside. As far as i know if you are still going to use the standard ABAP programs then externally maximum you can fiddle around with the data nothing else.

regards

ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ravi

Almost it. Abaps will provide data that will be modified by business components and then published in the Web.

I thought in use Web Dynpro but, I don't know if its possible create REUSABLE BUSINESS COMPONENTS to encapsulate the user requirements. Is it possible? I know that it's possible use Webservices but the performance

its terrible.

Then, I would like to know if you have an another idea intead of it or if its possible use EJBs with Web Dynpro.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

If that is the case then this is a solution. Using Webdynpro dont think there is a better solution than this.

regards

ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

I did understand.

In this case, you don't recommend use WebDynpro, right?

Best regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

You can make use of Reusable Components in Webdynpro if you use Development components.

Regarding the performance i dont think it should be that bad. We have used a Webservice to retrieve user details from portal and its ok.

regards

ravi

former_member182372
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Flavio,

On my last project we implemented dynpro-ejb-business objects-data access objects-R/3(webservices) chain. So, as "protocol" between involved parts we introduced XMI model and generated java beans from Together diagram.

WBR, Maksim Rashchynski.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ravi, Hello Maksim!

Performance is a critical requirement for my application and use web services is not a good idea.

The main problem is the business logic that I want to implement and I don't know if I can do this in WebDynpro.

Maksim, I don't understand well but in your last application, you used EJB to implement your business logic and Web Dynpro for the presentation and, to comunicate to each other, you use XMI, Am I right?

Do you know if it's possible create EJBs using Together for NetWeaver?

Regards

former_member182372
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

EJB was delegating all calls to BO`s (business objects) which are just java classes. And to pass data to DynPro we are using XMI model. I don`t know whether you can generate EJB from Together. But why do you need it? Use NWDS instead.

You can create model in dynpro using XMI model and you can export java beans from toghether diagram. BO (or DAO) layer transforms result of backend calls to classes from model and pass it to dynpro through EJB, so you can bind it to model.

WBR, Maksim Rashchynski

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

There are features to call RFC and Bapi directly without EJB s.Why cant u use that option.

Thats the best way to go about doin these..Revert back for any other details if needed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bharathwaj,

the problem is that the R/3 will be as a datasource and my bussiness logic wanna be implemented in my application. This is the why we choose EJB.

The problems is that our team doesn't know very well about web dynpro and if we can create components that encapsulate the business logic, without use EJB, for example.

Did you understand?