cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ABAp or Java

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Friends,

I am new to SAP-XI. So one of my friend told me that if we have done JAVA or ABAP along with this it is very helpful for me. But i dont know that in which areas of XI is used JAVA or ABAP.

Thank you

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Just a Short overview:

Java->

Adapter Engine

Mapping Runtime

Java Proxys

ABAP->

Integration Engine

ABAP Proxys

ABAP Mapping

BPM

HTTP and IDOC Adapter

Right now you need for every szenario something of both.

As far as i know with PI 7.1 it is possible to communicate from Adapter to Adapter without passing the Integration Engine. So in future you can have some szenarios without ABAP.

Development Skills are always good in both languages. But i worked in arround 5 XI Projects without deep ABAP Development knowledge.

Of course you have to know the ABAP Stack... ALE ... RFC ... BAPI ..and so on ... but programming you need only for ABAP Proxy and ABAP Mapping.

regards,

Robin

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

former_member184619
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Quite difficult question to reply... I think u should know Both ABAP and JAVA.

Since it's a Integration technology. so we need atleast basic knowledge of ABAP , JAVA.

check this Blog for the same...

/people/sap.user72/blog/2005/12/22/new-to-xi

and This forum for Expert comments.

hope this will clear your dobut

Sachin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

If you are working for R/3 systems...then you have to use IDOC Adapters.

Using IDOC's you have to know the configurations of ALE...for ABAP stack..

If you want to create UserDefined Functions where you will get the difficulty at mapping level...then you have to know the CoreJava atleast..

finally,

SAP XI product supports both ABAP stack and Java stack which clearly draws out a conclusion that either a good ABAP or JAVA professional can learn SAP XI.

If you are open to learn new technology then you can learn SAP XI.It is no rocket science! The only thing that varies is the time taken to master the tool (Probably might take little more if you have not worked in SAP or Java or EAI or ABAP) and depth of understanding of the tool. It totally depends on your grasping ability and interests of learning to work on the SAP XI. We need to have an access to SAP XI system for working sample scenario that helps you in understanding things better.

Regards,

Ramana Kumar. A

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sir,

I am happy with your answer.This is Ravi kumar Chandragiri and i have completed MCA and done course in SAP-XI and i have a knowledge in JAVA. And Iam trying for a job. So can you help me to place any organisation.And i will be waiting for your reply.

Thank you.

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Knowledge of both ABAP and JAVA is a good advantage for a XI consultant.

But ABAP-XI or JAVA-XI is also a prominent skill set.

More about XI in case you are new;

/people/sravya.talanki2/blog/2006/12/25/aspirant-to-learn-sap-xiyou-won-the-jackpot-if-you-read-this-part-i

/people/sravya.talanki2/blog/2006/12/26/aspirant-to-learn-sap-xiyou-won-the-jackpot-if-you-read-this-part-ii

/people/sravya.talanki2/blog/2006/12/27/aspirant-to-learn-sap-xiyou-won-the-jackpot-if-you-read-this-part-iii

former_member181959
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

A tough question to answer. But as far as XI development is concern its better to have good knowledge in both the languages.

But generally Java is most preferable as we use it for most of the times. I feel its better to have minimum (core java) java knowledge to start work with XI development (for mapping, UDF).

But for proxies and ABAP mapping ABAP language mandatory.

hope this helps.

-Prasad Babu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mr.Prasad

Iam happy with your answer, but now a days most of the companies asking XI with ABAP instead of XI with JAVA. why?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ravi,

This is true ,as XI is an EAI tool developed by SAP,it give much emphasis on this XI and most of the integration process handled in XI will use IDOC ,whether its as sender or receiver systems,ie., SAP system to Non SAP system or vice versa.

With Regards,

Raju.

Please reward points if its useful

former_member181959
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

It depends on the requirement of the company. If they are looking for ppl with ABAP knowledge (they mean having good knowledge in ALE,IDoc, and RFCs) so that they can work with SAP part of the integration.

But for start to work with XI, its good have knowledge in Java and ABAP.

Hope this helps.

-Prasad Babu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>So one of my friend told me that if we have done JAVA or ABAP along with this it is very helpful for me.

YES

>>But i dont know that in which areas of XI is used JAVA or ABAP.

When integrating with SAP systems and working on Proxies etc.. we need to have ABAP knowledge

Inside XI, we have mapping functionalities.. if we can't achieve the funcationality with the existing functions we go for Java mappings etc..

so, it is always gud to have a fair knowledge of ABAP and JAVA as well.

regards