cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

we have a client that wants to move their data from a temporary server to their new servers and they want to upgrade from version 4.7 to ERP 2005 and they also want to upgrade the database from MS SQL 2000 to MS SQL 2005. here is the scenario

The configuration was carriedout on SAP version 4.7 during the 1st phase of the

implementation, using a temporary server which hosts the Dev, Prod and Database.

The 2nd phase which is coming up will involve the following activities:

Installation of SAP ERP 2005 SR1 on the new servers (prod and Dev)

Installation of SQL Server 2005 on the thir server

Migration of the existing configuration data on SAP 4.7 to the new PROD and DEV

servers running SAP ERP 2005 SR1

i have been advised that they are two options to follow

1) Do a new installation on the new servers and then with the help of the functional consulatnts use the migration workbench to move the data to the new server.

2) First do a system copy of everything to the new server and then perform an upgrade

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Being a Basis myself I would go for the second option but if this is a new implementation with test data only it is probably better to install 2005 on the new servers and tell the developers and consultants to do the implementation over 2005, they will need to test everything again because there are some differences between 4.7 and 2005 (as far as I know).

If They don´t want to do it all over again, then make a system copy in the new DEV system, upgrade Database, Upgrade SAP and then install 2005 in PRD and transport everything form DEV to PRD.

That´s what I think but it depends on how many customizings have being done.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I can tell the strategy for couple of upgrade I have done.

I dont think we have suggested the customer anything like system copy or new installation.

We just ask, to have the complete offline backup of the system before the upgrade downtime start.

In case of any issue during the upgrade we can restore from the backup data.

First do the DB upgrade. Then SAP upgrade.

I have never used option 1 or option 2.

Follow The standard upgrade guides which is there in service marketplace.

Hope it clarifies your doubts.

Best Regards,

Anamika

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

i am told that you can do a new implementation and then migrate the data from the 4.7 to the new system (ERP 2005). has anypne ever tried this out? this will be done with the help of the technical consultants using the migration workbench, i have never heard about it or used it myself. i think the client had not gone live so i think we can rework everything.

the system copy and upgrade option is time consuming considering that they want the functional guys to be working a week after everything starts (system copy/upgrade or new installation)

Please advise the best option to take

Former Member
0 Kudos

I just asked one of our technical consultants and he thinks it is possible to migrate using workbench but he is not sure.

How long can you take to do the job?? if you have the time, you could upgrade 4.7 to 6 and then make a system copy to the new system...