cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

role of consultant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi gurus,

can any body explain in brief the daily work of SD consultant in offsite at the Project preperation and blueprint stage.

Pls explain.Your each sentence is valid for me.Expecting for a clear answer.

Thanks in advance.

regards,

cpdatt

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Role of SD Consultant in Off shore project is as under:

In Project Preparation stage the role of Basis consultant is of greater important for setting up SAP system, once the necessary Hardware is procured & License for SAP is purchased.

Role of functional consultant at off shore begans in Business Blueprint Stage.

1. Attending Concalls & taking the requirement from consultant onsite.

2. Preparation of documentation such as AS-IS, TO-BE & Gap analysis based on input from onsite consultant & getting the same validated from them.

3. Probably, if required, configuring prototype to give the presentation & feel of SAP to the client & makining necessary amendment as per require of client through onsite team.

Most of the points are already covered by others, which are common in project whether onsite or off shore.

Regards,

Rajesh Banka

Reward points if helpful.

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

KKilhavn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Most of the time SD consultants just sit around doing nothing. If they actually appear to be doing something, it is usually something of a private nature, such as paying their bills in the online banking system, reading news, or asking & answering questions on SDN in the hope that some day they will be qualified for a job as a Real Programmer.

I hope the answer met your expectations for a clear answer. <i><b>Remember</b>, please award points if this answer was useful.</i>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Actually before replying to your post, I just went on to check which module you happen to belong to and behold you are a techno guy (Netweaver/ABAPer). I don't know why but technical guys have absolutely no idea what the functional consultants do.

And as far as my experience is concerned technical consultants seem to be working on the SAP, but most of the time they are multi tasking with chatting, blogging etc.

It is rare to meet a Functional consultant who wants to be real programmer (read technical consultant) but often I meet techno's who wants to be functional consultants.

Hope other functional consultants agree with me.

Regards

AK

Former Member
0 Kudos

<b>Role of a SAP Functional Consultant</b>

A functional consultant evaluates the demands in talking with the customer's representatives, transforms the essence into an abstract and algorithmic business model. Hence, he identifies the use cases and transforms them into logical and technical views.

Then the main task starts: customizing the respective business area and making sure the system reacts in the manner according to the constraints of the requested use case.

The consultant documents the settings and prepares proper guidelines that allow other consultants to do further changes or repairs with due efforts.

The consultant takes care that proper training is given to the users and that the system is usable, performing appropriately and the business flow is complete and correct.

During go live he assists the technical staff by testing the behaviour of the system.

After go live he guarantees that the procedures remain usable and consistent in real live situation and proposes enhancements.

The main duty of a consultant is to transfer external know-how to the client. It is not manpower that counts but intelligence, understanding of processes, a feeling for defects and general a common sense.

Role of a Functional Consultant in an End To End Implementation

When you talk about the role of a Functional consultant in an end to end implementation, I think it won't be possible for me or anybody to define everything but I will try to summarize it:

1. Functional consultant is expected to generate knowledge about the current business process, design current business flows, study current business processes and its complication, in all we can say getting through with current business setup. Flow diagrams and DFD are prepared, most of the time in Vision format, all this forms the part of AS IS document.

2. Everything configured has to be documented as per their categories in the form of predefined templates, these have to be then approved by the team leads or who ever the consultant is reporting to.

3. Mapping and GAP analysis is done for each module, I have seen people defining integration after mapping, gap analysis and configuration is done, but as per my experience in implementation, it is a simultaneous process.

4. Before starting configuring future business processes in SAP, the DFD/ERD are prepared, this documentation is called TO BE, which can be also siad as the result of mapping and gap analysis.

5. Sometimes Functional consultants are also expected to prepare test scripts for testing the configured scenarios.

6. End user manual and user training is also expected from F.Consultants.

The project normally starts off with a Kick off meeting in which the team size, team members, reporting system, responsibilities, duties, methodlogy, dates and schedules, working hours which have been predicided are formally defined.

ASAP, it won't be possible for me to explain it here, but all I can tell you about it is that it is SAP standard implementation methodology, which SAP prescribes but is not mandatory for any company to follow, such as IBM follow some blue Methodlogy, some companies follow typical SDLC steps, ASAP stands for Accerlated SAP, you can find all the steps on SAP site, through google, reading it from there won't give you a great knowledge about ASAP but will obviously get you to know the definitions of various term.

Reward If it Helps

Message was edited by:

Ruchi Thakur

suresh_datti
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ruchi,

Obviously you pasted Prashanth Goud's response.. Why? When you could have easily exposed him as he pasted it from <a href="http://www.sap-img.com/general/role-of-a-sap-functional-consultant.htm">here</a>! which I realize was already posted by Dittakavi....

Have fun,

~Suresh

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Datt,

Roles and Resposibities of SD Consultant in various areas are given below:

IN IMPLEMENTATION :

The roles will be

how u had participated in each phase of the implementation.

how u had solved the gap analysis

what are the configurations u had done]

what are the customizations u had done

what are the requirements given to abaper

what are the new things u had done in sap and what is the need for them

how do you prepare bpml's

how do you prepare userexits

how do you prepare smartforms

how do you prepare functional spec's

what is cutover strategy

what type of testing’s u had done

IN SUPPORT

solving the tickets

reporting to the superior

updating the status of tickets

communicating with client in some cases

configurations to be done if new requirements arise

these will be done in concern with pm and sla

IN ROLL OUT:

-Feasibility study, analysis -Template rollout to geographies

and planning for implementation -Process mapping country extensions

- Business process re-engineering -Configuring country extensions

and configuration -Custom developments for country

-Custom development Extensions

-Testing -Additional module rollouts and also training

-Training and acceptance and development

-Change management

-Post implementation support

Please Reward If Really Helpful,

Thanks and Rewards,

Sateesh.Kandula

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Cpdatt,

Pl Go thr below link:

FUNCTIONAL CONSULTANT - ROLES

http://sap-img.com/general/role-of-a-sap-functional-consultant.htm

To be very frank there is no real contribution of a Offshore resource in Project Preperation and Blue Print except for extending some help as and when required. But the real work of a offshore consultant starts from Build and Test.

Reward points if it helps

Regards

Srini

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

Role of a Functional Consultant in an End To End Implementation

When you talk about the role of a Functional consultant in an end to end implementation, I think it won't be possible for me or anybody to define everything but I will try to summarize it:

1. Functional consultant is expected to generate knowledge about the current business process, design current business flows, study current business processes and its complication, in all we can say getting through with current business setup. Flow diagrams and DFD are prepared, most of the time in Vision format, all this forms the part of AS IS document.

2. Everything configured has to be documented as per their categories in the form of predefined templates, these have to be then approved by the team leads or who ever the consultant is reporting to.

3. Mapping and GAP analysis is done for each module, I have seen people defining integration after mapping, gap analysis and configuration is done, but as per my experience in implementation, it is a simultaneous process.

4. Before starting configuring future business processes in SAP, the DFD/ERD are prepared, this documentation is called TO BE, which can be also siad as the result of mapping and gap analysis.

5. Sometimes Functional consultants are also expected to prepare test scripts for testing the configured scenarios.

6. End user manual and user training is also expected from F.Consultants.

The project normally starts off with a Kick off meeting in which the team size, team members, reporting system, responsibilities, duties, methodlogy, dates and schedules, working hours which have been predicided are formally defined.

ASAP, it won't be possible for me to explain it here, but all I can tell you about it is that it is SAP standard implementation methodology, which SAP prescribes but is not mandatory for any company to follow, such as IBM follow some blue Methodlogy, some companies follow typical SDLC steps, ASAP stands for Accerlated SAP, you can find all the steps on SAP site, through google, reading it from there won't give you a great knowledge about ASAP but will obviously get you to know the definitions of various term.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

Role of a SAP Functional Consultant

For those who wished to know the role of a functinal consultant. Below is one view:

A functional consultant evaluates the demands in talking with the customer's representatives, transforms the essence into an abstract and algorithmic business model. Hence, he identifies the use cases and transforms them into logical and technical views.

Then the main task starts: customizing the respective business area and making sure the system reacts in the manner according to the constraints of the requested use case.

The consultant documents the settings and prepares proper guidelines that allow other consultants to do further changes or repairs with due efforts.

The consultant takes care that proper training is given to the users and that the system is usable, performing appropriately and the business flow is complete and correct.

During go live he assists the technical staff by testing the behavior of the system.

After go live he guarantees that the procedures remain usable and consistent in real live situation and proposes enhancements.

The main duty of a consultant is to transfer external know-how to the client. It is not manpower that counts but intelligence, understanding of processes, a feeling for defects and general a common sense