cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sapcontrol.exe error

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have downloaded the SAP Netweaver 7.0 ABAP Trial Version SP12 and was in the process of installing it until I hit an error. I have tried removing all files and reinstalling but with no success - so if someone can kindly advise me on how to further proceed, I would be grateful!

<b>Distribution:</b> SAP Netweaver 7.0 ABAP Trial Version SP12

<b>OS:</b> Microsoft Windows XP w/ SP2

<b>Computer specs: </b> 1GB RAM, Athlon XP 2400+, 30GB free space (250GB total)

<b>Here is the problem:</b>

I run the installer and it installs MaxDB and Netweaver up until it hits 89%. At 89%, it says "Initializing database connection" and I get a dialog box popping up saying

[code]"sapcontrol.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."[/code]

The installation then fails and informs me to look into the file: C:\SAP\NSP\log.txt. Here are the file contents:

[code]

(Jul 24, 2007 7:29:16 PM), Install, com.sap.installshield.sdcstepswrapper.StepWrapperInstallFiles, err, An error occurred and product installation failed. Look at the log file C:\SAP\NSP\log.txt for details.

(Jul 24, 2007 7:29:16 PM), Install, com.sap.installshield.sdcstepswrapper.StepWrapperInstallFiles, err, ProductException: (error code = 200; message="Java error"; exception = [java.lang.Exception])

STACK_TRACE: 15

ProductException: (error code = 200; message="Java error"; exception = [java.lang.Exception])

at com.sap.installshield.sdcstepswrapper.StepWrapperInstallFiles.execute(StepWrapperInstallFiles.java:254)

at com.sap.installshield.sdcstepswrapper.StepWrapperInstallFiles.executeAllSteps(StepWrapperInstallFiles.java:224)

at com.sap.installshield.sdcstepswrapper.StepWrapperInstallFiles.executeAllInstallationSteps(StepWrapperInstallFiles.java:177)

at com.sap.installshield.sdcstepswrapper.StepWrapperInstallFiles.install(StepWrapperInstallFiles.java:268)

at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl.installProductAction(Unknown Source)

at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$InstallProduct.getResultForProductAction(Unknown Source)

at com.installshield.product.service.product.InstallableObjectVisitor.visitComponent(Unknown Source)

at com.installshield.product.service.product.InstallableObjectVisitor.visitInstallableComponents(Unknown Source)

at com.installshield.product.service.product.InstallableObjectVisitor.visitProductBeans(Unknown Source)

at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$InstallProduct.install(Unknown Source)

at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$Installer.execute(Unknown Source)

at com.installshield.wizard.service.AsynchronousOperation.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

(Jul 24, 2007 7:48:34 PM), Install, com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$InstallProduct, err, An error occurred and product uninstallation failed. Look at the log file C:\SAP\NSP\log.txt for details.

(Jul 24, 2007 7:48:34 PM), Install, com.sap.installshield.sdcstepswrapper.StepWrapperInstallFiles, err, ProductException: (error code = 200; message="Java error"; exception = [java.lang.Exception])

STACK_TRACE: 15

ProductException: (error code = 200; message="Java error"; exception = [java.lang.Exception])

at com.sap.installshield.sdcstepswrapper.StepWrapperInstallFiles.execute(StepWrapperInstallFiles.java:254)

at com.sap.installshield.sdcstepswrapper.StepWrapperInstallFiles.executeAllSteps(StepWrapperInstallFiles.java:224)

at com.sap.installshield.sdcstepswrapper.StepWrapperInstallFiles.executeAllUninstallationSteps(StepWrapperInstallFiles.java:192)

at com.sap.installshield.sdcstepswrapper.StepWrapperInstallFiles.uninstall(StepWrapperInstallFiles.java:313)

at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl.uninstallProductAction(Unknown Source)

at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$InstallProduct.processActionsFailed(Unknown Source)

at com.installshield.product.service.product.InstallableObjectVisitor.visitComponent(Unknown Source)

at com.installshield.product.service.product.InstallableObjectVisitor.visitInstallableComponents(Unknown Source)

at com.installshield.product.service.product.InstallableObjectVisitor.visitProductBeans(Unknown Source)

at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$InstallProduct.install(Unknown Source)

at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$Installer.execute(Unknown Source)

at com.installshield.wizard.service.AsynchronousOperation.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

[/code]

Prior to installing, I have already made sure that I have installed the Microsoft Virtual Loopback device and have edited my "hosts" file with the following entry:

[code]

10.10.0.10 localhost

[/code]

I have already run out of ideas on how to proceed....

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

klaus_keller
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Your hosts file should look like:

127.0.0.1          localhost
10.10.0.10         <YOUR_HOSTNAME>

Try this.

Regards,

Klaus

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have finally figured out the solution. One of my co-workers is a Basis consultant and asked me to do a
hostname to verify connectivity as he told me this was a common error in Windows-based environments. I did a
BOX and sure enough, it failed (even though ping BOX and ping 10.10.0.10 worked). The root cause of the problem was that I only had the TCP/IP protocol installed to my NIC. I added <b>Client for Microsoft Networks</b> and <b>File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks</b> to my NIC and sure enough, I did a
BOX in Windows Explorer and it worked. I proceeded to reinstall and it installed perfectly.

In summary:

Even though ping commands will work, installation will still fail if the Microsoft Network file sharing protocols: <b>Client for Microsoft Networks</b> and <b>File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks</b> is not installed.

I hope this may help someone in the future who may experience my problem.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Okay, actually my hosts file seems quite clean but my services file seems very cluttered. Furthermore, I noticed that after installation - I told the installer to install the SAP MMC console and it said it could not find the file. This led me to conclude that probably:

- My download was corrupted/missed some files

- There is something conflicting in my hosts and/or services files causing problems

Therefore, I have elected to re-download the installation files and install from a fresh copy of Windows XP SP2 (with VMWare). I will post my results as soon as the installation completes/fails and we will see what happens. I hope that working from a clean system should eliminate a lot of potential problems.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, I am able to ping my hostname. All these ping commands have succeeded:

ping localhost

ping 127.0.0.1

ping BOX

ping 10.10.0.10

This all works 100%, this is why I am very confused as the error seems to indicate a connection issue, yet my connections seem perfectly fine. Do you think that this has anything to do with the ports settings (\windows\system32\drivers\etc\services) file?

klaus_keller
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Before installing the trial version, there should be no entry in the services file for port 3600. After installation, an entry should have been added:

sapmsNSP       3600/tcp

Regards,

Klaus

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have pinpointed the problem. I ran the installation over again and got the same message about sapcontrol.exe encountering an error and will now close. At this point, I check the logs immediately (install.log and steps.StopSCSInstance.log) and both of them display this as their latest entries:

ACTION: **********************************************************************
ACTION: * Install SAP J2EE Engine 4 Web Application Server 700/710/720 ... XXX
ACTION: *                                                                     
ACTION: * Executing Step:   StopSCSInstance
ACTION: * User:             User
ACTION: * WorkingDirectory: C:SAPNSPhome
ACTION: * Date:             2007.07.27 01:07:37
ACTION: * Logfile:          steps.StopSCSInstance.log
ACTION: * Property File:    C:SAPNSPhomej2eeinst.props
ACTION: * Tool Version:     720.26.20070619102924

Checking running engine process via sapcontrol and wait for stopped
Checking on: SCS
Stop instance with cmd: C:SAPNSPSYSexerunsapcontrol.exe -prot PIPE -nr 00 -host box -function StopWait 300 10
Stop instance in directory: C:SAPNSPSYSexerun
Start external command...

Without closing the sapcontrol.exe error box, I opened a DOS prompt box in Windows XP and attempted to issue the command manually:

C:SAPNSPSYSexerunsapcontrol.exe -prot PIPE -nr 00 -host box -function StopWait 300 10

and I get the error message:

27.07.2007 06:15:30
Stop
FAIL: The network path was not found., CreateFile failed in plugin_pipefopen()

So it seems that this is the real problem. However, I am not sure what to do to remedy this.

klaus_keller
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Are you able to ping your host (box)? If not, check the steps to install the MS loopback adapter written in the documentation (HTML files in the download archive).

Rgds,

Klaus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the tip Klaus, I was not aware of the logs in the home directory. Anyhow, there were quite a few logs and I looked in each one. It appears every log indicates success except for 2 logs:

- steps.StopSCSInstance.log

- install.log

I will proceed to post the contents of the areas in which the failures took place.

.............................................................................................................................

<b>[steps.StopSCSInstance.log]</b>

ACTION: * User:             Administrator
ACTION: * Date:             2007.07.24 19:29:16

Stop instance with cmd: C:SAPNSPSYSexerunsapcontrol.exe -prot PIPE -nr 00 -host box -function StopWait 300 10
Process exited with rc: -1073741819

24.07.2007 19:48:33
GetProcessList
OK
0 name: msg_server.EXE
0 description: MessageServer
0 dispstatus: GREEN
0 textstatus: Running
0 starttime: 2007 07 24 19:04:42
0 elapsedtime: 0:43:51
0 pid: 4024
Process exited with rc: 3
ERROR: GetProcessList rc is not 4.
ERROR: (rc == 4: GetProcessList succeeded, all processes stopped)
ERROR: Execution of step: >> StopSCSInstance <<
	failed. Execution returned: RC=100
	Elapsed time:         00:19:17 [HH:mm:ss]

<b>[install.log]</b>

.....all parts indicate success except for the last part of the log...

ACTION: * User:             Administrator
ACTION: * Date:             2007.07.24 19:04:53

Process exited with rc: -1073741819

24.07.2007 19:29:15
GetProcessList
OK
0 name: msg_server.EXE
0 description: MessageServer
0 dispstatus: GREEN
0 textstatus: Running
0 starttime: 2007 07 24 19:04:42
0 elapsedtime: 0:24:33
0 pid: 4024
Process exited with rc: 3
ERROR: GetProcessList rc is not 4.
ERROR: (rc == 4: GetProcessList succeeded, all processes stopped)
ERROR: Execution of step: >> StopSCSInstance <<
	failed. Execution returned: RC=100
	Elapsed time:         00:24:21 [HH:mm:ss]
Process exited with rc: 100

.............................................................................................................................

So, it would appear that the problem seems to stem from the Message Server (msg_server.EXE) exiting with RC=3 instead of RC=4. I presume RC=4 indicates success, but I do not know if RC=3 can provide me with a deeper meaning...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Klaus,

There is a home directory under C:\SAP\NSP. I have gotten the SAP instance to run in sapmmc by creating a user called "nspadm" (which I found in another thread after some searching). Eventually what happened was that the instance started and continued running (green). However, under "Process List" in sapmmc, I only see "msg_server.exe". After some more searching, I found that there was supposed to be another process running "dispwork.exe". However, "dispwork.exe" was not added to the "Process List" and thus, was not started. Do you have any ideas on how I can manually add "disp+work.exe" to the process list (as I can't seem to find a way in sapmmc to do this manually).

Thank you again for your help!

klaus_keller
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I would propose to check the log files in the home directory and post the relevant parts here. You could sort the by date and inspect the newest ones first. Then we could try to figure out what went wrong during the installation and you can re-install it again to get a 'clean' installation from the scratch.

Regards,

Klaus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Klaus, thank you very much for your reply. Unfortunately, I am still getting the same error as before, even with the modified hosts file:

127.0.0.1       localhost
10.10.0.10	BOX

I do not know if this will help in solving my problem, but here are a few things to note:

<b>Services</b>

There appear to be 2 new services:

SAP DB WWW                           Manual               Local System
SAPNSP_00          Started           Automatic            Local System

<b>Database</b>

MaxDB seems to be running fine. I installed the MaxDB Database Manager 7.6 and it detected and connected to the database "NSP" perfectly.

<b>User Accounts</b>

I noticed that the SAP installation did not create any new user accounts. Is this normal?

<b>What I did next...</b>

At this point, I decided to try and force it to run. As the installation did not complete 100%, the NetWeaver start menu entries were not there. In the installation document, it says that you can start the engine using the MMC console. Therefore, I ran "sapmmcX86u.msi" and installed the MMC Snap-In. Next, I proceeded to run sapmmc, and it shows this:

Console Root
  + SAP System
       + NSP
            + box 0
                 - Process List
                 - Syslog

I right-click on "SAP System" and choose "Start", but it pops up with a dialog box asking for a User and a Password (I don't know what to put in there...).

I hope I am not overly confusing as I tried to break down what I did. I would be very grateful If anyone can continue to share their opinions with me.

klaus_keller
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

For the username/password it is asking for you have to use your Windows user account/password.

It is normal in this version, that no user is being created during installation.

Anyway, if the installation failed I suppose the system will not run properly. Is there a <b>home</b> directory under <b><INSTALL_DIR>\NSP</b>? Perhaps you find some additional log files there.

Rgds,

Klaus