cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System copy for ECC 6.0 system no j2ee process under MMC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear support,

This has been observed in many of our clients system which are on ECC 6.0 abap+java system, that after we perform system copy from one system to another

whether it is Oracle platform or mssql server platform ( system copy for oracle using controlfile script ) ( system copy for mssql with restoring .BAK file from source )

systems are running fine but j2ee process table showing no processes like

SDM, dispatcher , server0

even configtool and go.bat are unable to connect.

Is there any specific settings we do after system copy for java side

Please let me know at earliest, as it is most strange thing i have seen in almost all my system where system copy is performed.I have already raised a post against this error but at that time i was not aware of this system copy reason behind the same.

Best regards,

AjitR

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Did you follow the official system copy guides at

http://service.sap.com/systemcopy

--> Media Library

--> System Copy for SAP Systems Based on NW 7.0 SR2 ABAP+Java

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus,

as i mentioned i am not following sapinst method, as i am following old standard method by taking backup of controlfile and then make changes to controlfile after restore , make use of @ control.sql

Is this method is wrong for java+abap engine

if yes , then how to recover from my situation?

as i have gone through respective note

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Check the system copy guide.

A Java instance is different to an ABAP instance. For ABAP you can copy the database as you did - and everything will be in place.

A JAVA instance does NOT have everything in the database but also locally on filesystem. You need to take a backup of your /usr/sap//DV*/j2ee folder at the SAME TIME you do the backup of your database and copy that also. Both, filesystem and database must be in sync.

The easiest way to accomplish this, is, to use sapinst on both the source and the target system. It´s not possible to just "copy over" the whole filesystem tree because many settings are in the properties files of the local system that must be adapted to the new environment. Those settings are adapted if you use sapinst.

So - long story short - you need to use sapinst to do a Java (or ABAP + Java) systemcopy.

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Excellent reply Markus as you always do ,

but now my question is now i have 6 ECC 6.0 systems running at client side where system copy is performed from respective production boxes.

and now the are without j2ee process table in MMC

So , should i copy j2ee folder from respective production systems and replace them to quality and DEV where now problem exist.

will it work ? should i give try?

what about note i mentioned does those settings not require

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Your main problem is not, that you don't see anything in MMC (the system can be added manually without much hazzle) - but is, that you database content of schema SAP<SID>DB does not match the data found on the filesystem.

If you copy the filesystem structure from production to test/qa, you need to make sure, the database and filesystem are in sync. You will have two problems if you "just copy them":

- They are out of sync because your production was going on running since you copied the backup files

- all configuration (all java property sheets) is/are set to point to the production system instead of the test/qa system

I doubt, that it will work if you copy it over. This also explains, why you can't even start configtool, because it points to the wrong system/schema. You MAY be able to fix all that manually, but you may encounter subsequent errors because not all configuration is documented, you would need to step into the whole j2ee tree and look at each and every propertysheet to find out, whether it's correct or not. Additionally, the database may have other information (see above) and all that may become overwritten during bootstrap.

So - the best way to get your system up and running quickly is to start sapinst on the source system, export your Java instance (not using ABAP but the Java dump) and re-importing that to your test/qa system.

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus

I fully agree with your sync opinion , but at calculated risk point of view if i backup existing QAS j2ee folder and then paste those one from PRD to QAS .

after try to start MMC , if works ? fine or else i will put original files back to same position and start MMC.

So , how much risk is there ?

Off course last option is SAPINST procedure but as nobody amongst our basis team is familiar with SAPINST option, we would like to give try with our method .

If Synch issue comes then at the most SAP will not start but after replacing with old j2ee folder it should start again.

whats your expert comment on the same ? please let me know at earliest.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The J2EE engine will simply not come up because of various reasons:

(out of my head)

- wrong schema

- OPS$ for SAP how what process looks where for what information (jcontrol, bootstrap, filesystem/database) in what sequence you won´t succeed, you may change it on one place, trying to start the engine, it can connect to the database (or not) and will overwrite things you have just changed etc.

The only way to do it "right" is to use SAPINST, which is not that complex, especially on Windows.

You can even do a Java export remotely without direct access to the machine or sitting on the console. However, you would need to delete the current schema and import yours into your test/qa database.

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

I will start working on SAPINST method now , according to you let database remain as it is and i should export JAVA side from PRD using SAPINST and then import to QAS.I just hope it will work...........

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would suggest giving your customers the system copy guide and tell them do to the copy that way. You have several options, you can even use a backup to do that but you have to do this for both, ABAP + Java at the same time.

I would NOT fiddle manually as you´re doing now - and give that procedure to customers outside, using SAPINST is much more straightforward and easier

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus sorry but i didnt understand reply,

as i have finished system copy using backup and restore method in 5 systems in different lansacpes, i can again perform the same anytime using backup and retore method but not by using sapinst method as we have make our customer aware of the same first.

If possible, i can use backup and restore method anytime but can it be possible for get java engine up and running using that method ?

whats the way out ?

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes - it´s possible - look in the system copy guide. There is an option to use "backups" instead of R3load/Jload - but you must use SAPINST to install the Java instance on the target host.

It works basically like this:

- start sapinst on the source system

- select "copy using backup/restore"

- sapinst will tell you when you should take the backup of the database

- sapinst will collect all information necessary for the java instance and export that to a filesystem

- start sapinst on the target system

- select "install using backup/restore"

- sapinst will tell you to restore the backup

- sapinst will continue and install the java instance with the filesystem export you created

You MUST use sapinst to install the target, it´s not enough to restore the database and copy the filesystem manually.

Look in the guide, it will explain in detail what options you have.

As soon as Java comes into place you need to use sapinst, neither in combined ABAP/JAVA or just JAVA installations, otherwise you will have to mess with all sorts of manual configuration, that are not (yet) documented.

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very very much for detail answer.

I really appreciate your patience and time you have put for the same.

I would like to reward points for the same but not aware how to do this , i dont see option here.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Friends,

I have found one note 831812 which talks about post configuration after system copy for abap+ java engine

but i dont know should i execute offline Configuration Editor tool from <j2ee>/configtool directory , can anyone go through the note and confirm the method

after this note applied we have to do following steps

1. Log on to the Visual Administrator as an administrator.

2. On the launch path on the left choose Cluster Server <server name> Services JCo RFC Provider .

3. On the right, choose Runtime and select the RFC destination that you use for the connection

to the back end.

4. Maintain the required parameters for the RFC destination and repository.

5. Remove the old JCo-destination that was copied from the source system.

6. Restart the Java server and the component.

Best Regards,

AjitR