cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Development changes to Quality

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am on EP7.0 ERP05 NW04s and want to move my code modifications for the ESS Applications from the Development system to the Quality system . Is this done using the Developer Studio by transporting the Activities in the Transport View or is done using the NWDI CMS...?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (29)

Answers (29)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Laxmi,

When I look at the Logs after the import in the Test tab there are 3

CBS Log

fo:Starting Step CBS-make at 2007-07-25 20:15:09.0980 +2:00

Info:Step is not executed. Import of Archives only. CBS build not needed.

Info:Step CBS-make ended with result 'not needed' at 2007-07-25 20:15:10.0020 +2:00

Repository Import

Info:Starting Step Repository-import at 2007-07-25 20:15:09.0882 +2:00

Info:Step is not executed. Import of Archives only. Repository import not needed.

Info:Step Repository-import ended with result 'not needed' at 2007-07-25 20:15:09.0916 +2:00

SDM -deploy log

Info:Starting Step SDM-deploy at 2007-07-25 20:15:10.0087 +2:00

Info:deployment of /usr/sap/trans/T90/EPS/in/CMSabrusux175hT90/CMS/archives/sap.comSAP-JEESAP AG~20070201154700.sca is skipped, because it belongs to the software component (sap.com / SAP-JEE)

Info:deployment of /usr/sap/trans/T90/EPS/in/CMSabrusux175hT90/CMS/archives/sap.comSAP_ESST90_ESS08M_C~20070725161745.sca is skipped, because it belongs to the software component (sap.com / SAP_ESS)

Info:deployment of /usr/sap/trans/T90/EPS/in/CMSabrusux175hT90/CMS/archives/sap.comSAP_JTECHSSAP AG~20070201154800.sca is skipped, because it belongs to the software component (sap.com / SAP_JTECHS)

Info:deployment of /usr/sap/trans/T90/EPS/in/CMSabrusux175hT90/CMS/archives/sap.comSAPPCUI_GPMAIN_ERP05VAL_C~20070328083236.sca is skipped, because it belongs to the software component (sap.com / SAPPCUI_GP)

Info:empty list of archives for deployment: nothing done

Info:Step SDM-deploy ended with result 'not needed' at 2007-07-25 20:15:10.0207 +2:00

I wonder why it says 'not required' for everything ....

Looking forward to your reply.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Subhas,

Some how CBS not able to create any archives and that's why it sending an empty archive. I think probobly you are missing some important activities in relation to this specific component. Please look any prevois activities are waiting to import, if there are import them and try to transport again.

Because of emty archive when you import it's happening very qucikly not even 2 secs.

Try This.

Thanks

Krishna

Former Member
0 Kudos

The Consolidation system has not been configured as a runtime system therefore does not get displayed there ....

Former Member
0 Kudos

What about the consolidation system? For cons system there is a "Disable auto dep" field. Is it checked or unchecked?

Former Member
0 Kudos

In the Landscape Configurator -> Runtime Systems there is one 'Disable Automatic Deployment' checkbox for the Development system which is not checked but for the Test and the Production system there is no such checkbox there .....

and now I also see all the components imported in the Approval Tab ....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Make sure if the DC that you are trying to test has been deployed to ur test system.(Go to the file system of the test system to see the time stamp of the DC when it was last deployed).

In your runtime systems of landscape configurator, if you have checked that "Disable Automatic Deployment" checkbox for cons system, then your DC will not be deployed automatically. You have to manually deploy it. (uncheck that checkbox)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok Thats fine but what I am trying to figure out is why the changes are not deployed to the Quality system....?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Since both the cons and test runtime systems are same, during the test import, it will not reimport since there are no changes from the last version.Thats why the import must have finished quickly.

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's correct we have 3 runtime systems Development,Quality(Test) and Production so we have to use the Test as the runtime system for both consolidation and Test.....

Please give your inputs.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check the runtime systems configuration in Landscape configurator. Are the runtime systems different for different environments? or for the test purpose are you just using the same runtime system as consolidation system and test system?

Former Member
0 Kudos

The moment I clicked on Import it didn't take time and the status changed to 'Import Finished' ....

Former Member
0 Kudos

was the import successful?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Laxmi,

I imported all the components but still I don't see the changes reflected in the Quality system. Is there some 'Exclude from deployment' for the Quality...?

Former Member
0 Kudos

For the first time, you need to import the dependent components too.

So import SAP-JEE ,SAP-BUILDT...etc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Laxmi,

Thanks again. We actually restarted the J2EE server and the Assemble finished successfully now when I go to the Test tab I see the ESS component (waiting for import) and I see other components also like SAP-JEE ,SAP-BUILDT and others ....do we need to import these components as well into Quality...?

Looking forward to your rep[ly.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Subhash,

I think its a database issue. The saptemp table space must be getting filled which must be throwing communication exception. Increase the memory of saptemp table, and this shud most probably fix the issue.

Refer to my thread:

Former Member
0 Kudos

Laxmi,

After importing the changes from the Consolidation tab we had gone to the Assemly tab and started the Assembly...but the Assembly failed ..then I had gone to Details ...and then Assembly log and this is what I got :

Fatal Exception:com.sap.cms.tcs.interfaces.exceptions.TCSCommunicationException: communication error: VcmFailure received: Creation of PropagationList failed

Request path: prop/sap.com_SAP_ESS 20070725173516762

Error Condition: . Response status = 500 (Internal Server Error):communication error: VcmFailure received: Creation of PropagationList failed

Error Condition: . Response status = 500 (Internal Server Error)

com.sap.cms.tcs.interfaces.exceptions.TCSCommunicationException: communication error: VcmFailure received: Creation of PropagationList failed

Error Condition: . Response status = 500 (Internal Server Error)

at com.sap.cms.tcs.client.DTRCommunicator.readWorkspaceData(DTRCommunicator.java:226)

at com.sap.cms.tcs.client.DTRCommunicator.readWorkspaceData(DTRCommunicator.java:235)

at com.sap.cms.tcs.core.RepositoryExportTask.processRepositoryExport(RepositoryExportTask.java:173)

at com.sap.cms.tcs.core.RepositoryExportTask.process(RepositoryExportTask.java:324)

at com.sap.cms.tcs.process.ProcessStep.processStep(ProcessStep.java:77)

at com.sap.cms.tcs.process.ProcessStarter.process(ProcessStarter.java:197)

at com.sap.cms.tcs.core.TCSManager.assemblePropagationRequests(TCSManager.java:677)

at com.sap.cms.pcs.assembly.manager.AssemblyManager.assemble(AssemblyManager.java:1510)

at com.sap.cms.pcs.assembly.AssemblyQueueHandler.execAssembly(AssemblyQueueHandler.java:818)

at com.sap.cms.pcs.assembly.AssemblyQueueHandler.startAssembly(AssemblyQueueHandler.java:133)

at com.sap.cms.pcs.transport.proxy.CmsTransportProxyBean.startAssembly(CmsTransportProxyBean.java:833)

at com.sap.cms.pcs.transport.proxy.LocalCmsTransportProxyLocalObjectImpl0_0.startAssembly(LocalCmsTransportProxyLocalObjectImpl0_0.java:1838)

at com.sap.cms.ui.wl.Custom1.startComponetAssembly(Custom1.java:14329)

at com.sap.cms.ui.wl.Custom1.assembleQueue(Custom1.java:4776)

at com.sap.cms.ui.wl.wdp.InternalCustom1.assembleQueue(InternalCustom1.java:2306)

at com.sap.cms.ui.wl.Worklist.handleAssemblyOptionsEvent(Worklist.java:1487)

at com.sap.cms.ui.wl.wdp.InternalWorklist.wdInvokeEventHandler(InternalWorklist.java:2533)

at com.sap.tc.webdynpro.progmodel.generation.DelegatingView.invokeEventHandler(DelegatingView.java:87)

at com.sap.tc.webdynpro.progmodel.controller.Component.fireEvent(Component.java:283)

at com.sap.cms.ui.wl.wdp.InternalWorklists.wdFireEventAssemblyOptionsEvent(InternalWorklists.java:402)

at com.sap.cms.ui.wl.Worklists.fireAssemblyOptionsEvent(Worklists.java:247)

at com.sap.cms.ui.wl.wdp.InternalWorklists.fireAssemblyOptionsEvent(InternalWorklists.java:328)

at com.sap.cms.ui.wl.AssemblyOptions.onActionStartAssembly(AssemblyOptions.java:276)

at com.sap.cms.ui.wl.wdp.InternalAssemblyOptions.wdInvokeEventHandler(InternalAssemblyOptions.java:339)

at com.sap.tc.webdynpro.progmodel.generation.DelegatingView.invokeEventHandler(DelegatingView.java:87)

at com.sap.tc.webdynpro.progmodel.controller.Action.fire(Action.java:67)

at com.sap.tc.webdynpro.clientserver.window.WindowPhaseModel.doHandleActionEvent(WindowPhaseModel.java:420)

at com.sap.tc.webdynpro.clientserver.window.WindowPhaseModel.processRequest(WindowPhaseModel.java:132)

at com.sap.tc.webdynpro.clientserver.window.WebDynproWindow.processRequest(WebDynproWindow.java:335)

at com.sap.tc.webdynpro.clientserver.cal.AbstractClient.executeTasks(AbstractClient.java:143)

at com.sap.tc.webdynpro.clientserver.session.ApplicationSession.doProcessing(ApplicationSession.java:313)

at com.sap.tc.webdynpro.clientserver.session.ClientSession.doApplicationProcessingStandalone(ClientSession.java:759)

at com.sap.tc.webdynpro.clientserver.session.ClientSession.doApplicationProcessing(ClientSession.java:712)

at com.sap.tc.webdynpro.clientserver.session.ClientSession.doProcessing(ClientSession.java:261)

at com.sap.tc.webdynpro.clientserver.session.RequestManager.doProcessing(RequestManager.java:149)

at com.sap.tc.webdynpro.serverimpl.defaultimpl.DispatcherServlet.doContent(DispatcherServlet.java:62)

at com.sap.tc.webdynpro.serverimpl.defaultimpl.DispatcherServlet.doPost(DispatcherServlet.java:53)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:760)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853)

at com.sap.engine.services.servlets_jsp.server.HttpHandlerImpl.runServlet(HttpHandlerImpl.java:401)

at com.sap.engine.services.servlets_jsp.server.HttpHandlerImpl.handleRequest(HttpHandlerImpl.java:266)

at com.sap.engine.services.httpserver.server.RequestAnalizer.startServlet(RequestAnalizer.java:387)

at com.sap.engine.services.httpserver.server.RequestAnalizer.startServlet(RequestAnalizer.java:365)

at com.sap.engine.services.httpserver.server.RequestAnalizer.invokeWebContainer(RequestAnalizer.java:944)

at com.sap.engine.services.httpserver.server.RequestAnalizer.handle(RequestAnalizer.java:266)

at com.sap.engine.services.httpserver.server.Client.handle(Client.java:95)

at com.sap.engine.services.httpserver.server.Processor.request(Processor.java:175)

at com.sap.engine.core.service630.context.cluster.session.ApplicationSessionMessageListener.process(ApplicationSessionMessageListener.java:33)

at com.sap.engine.core.cluster.impl6.session.MessageRunner.run(MessageRunner.java:41)

at com.sap.engine.core.thread.impl3.ActionObject.run(ActionObject.java:37)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:215)

at com.sap.engine.core.thread.impl3.SingleThread.execute(SingleThread.java:100)

at com.sap.engine.core.thread.impl3.SingleThread.run(SingleThread.java:170)

Info:Step Repository-export ended with result 'fatal error' ,stopping execution at 2007-07-25 17:41:26.0707 +2:00

Is this some problem with the configuration of the NWDI....?

Please help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes...after importing all your changes to Consolidation system, you need to perform the assembly step which creates a .sca file. After successful assembly, the .sca file will be waiting to be imported to the Test system.

Later, if you have another set of activities, you need to follow the same steps and need to perform the assembly step again which creates a new .sca file.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Laxmi,

Our goal for right now is to move all the changes into the Quality system ...so first I need to import all the changes into the Consolidation system and then create an sca file I think to move them to Quality .....and then after sometime if we need to move another bunch of activities do we create a new SCA file ....?

Please reply.

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you want your changes(i.e., the activities) to be migrated to consolidation system, then release all of those changes(activities) and then import them into cons system in transport studio.

So it depends on if you want to move your changes up to the next level(i.e., consolidation system)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Laxmi ,

Thanks for the reply. I tried to release one activity and it showed up in the Transport Studio in the Consolidation tab ,the basis guy then imported it , now should I release all the activities and then assemble it , or what should I do once I release all the activities...?

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. When there are two activities A1(older version) and A2(latest version) with same file. If you try to release A2, it will calculate the predecessor activities which are nothing but the earlier versions of the same file. So all the predecessor activities should be released too. Finally, you will have your latest changes i.e., changes in Activity A2.

2. When you are releasing, you release an activity not the files. If that activity has any predecessor activities, they have to be released too. If you have two unrelated activities, sure you can release one and release the other later.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks

Just before releasing the activities I had a few questions:

1) Suppose today I created an activity A1 making changes to file F1 and checked it in DTR , then after 2 days I find that I need to change it so I create another activity A2 with same file F1 with different changes now , so at the time of release releasing both activities A1 and A2 will have the final changes of A2 or it will be a combination of both A1+A2 (because it should be A2 (final changes) bcoz A1 has wrong changes....) ?

2) When I am releasing does it matter if I release some files of a project and not others and do it later..?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes....I would say the best approach is deploying through the transport studio. Just import the activities into the consolidation which will deploy the app to cons system (unless disable automatic deployment is checked in Landscape configurator)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Subhash,

Another option is to deploy the Application with the Correponding Server Details in different Environments.

To Deploy application on Different Servers, just change server properties in NWDS only for Quality..

Window -> Preferences -> SAP J2EE Engine ->

Select first remote host radio button.

Enter Host & Port details of the Server.

DEPLOY

Regards,

Santhosh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello ,

Thanks for the reply guys ... I can deploy the changes to QAT by changing server parameters but I think the right way would be to transport thru the Transport Studio, that's what I feel....

The QAT system has been configured as the next runtime system in our environment because in the Landscape Configurator the checkbox for the Consolidation system in the Runtime systems tab is not checked but the Consolidation system has been configured as a virtual system ...

Please give your inputs.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes you should do it through the transport studio.

Please go ahead in the transport studio and import the required activities in consolidation tab.Even though consolidation is virtual in your land scape you have to do that import.

After this step to transport it to next level it requires to assemble the components which will create a new .sca file and from then this .sca file will be used to take the changes forward to Quality and Production systems.

Hope It is clear to you now.

--Nagaraju Donikena

raja_thangamani
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you just want to deploy your application on Different Servers, just change server properties in NWDS only for Quality..

Window -> Preferences -> SAP J2E Engine -> Select first remote host radio button.

THen deploy it. your changes will be in QA..

Raja T

Message was edited by:

Armin Reichert

Former Member
0 Kudos

Once you release your activity, it will be released to the consolidation system and will be waiting to be imported. Then you will have to import that activity to the cons system in the transport studio of NWDI.

If you have specified your Quality system as the consolidation runtime system in NWDI, all you have to do is release the activity in NWDS and then import it to cons system in transport studio of NWDI.

Hope this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Raja,

Thanks for the reply. So if you goto the Development Configuration perspective on the right side there is a Transport View which has all the Activities under Waiting (Yellow) flag should I just right click on it and select Release....?

raja_thangamani
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just deploy your code changes to Quality server using developer studio.

Raja T

Message was edited by:

Armin Reichert