cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using OTR for maintaining text in different languages??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a requirement where I need to display the label texts (using ABAP WebDynpro) in different languages based on the user's logon language and I have found that there 2 ways to do this.

1: Using Data Element.

I won't be able to use this as it may require me to change the SAP standard Data Elements which we do not want to do because it will be required for different developments.

2: Using OTR.

I have tried this option wherein I have created a text in English using tcode SOTR_EDIT. Then when I am tried to create anothor text for the same alias using tcode se63 but I am not able to find the alias I have created neither using the package nor using the concept id.

Can someone suggest me if there are some problems using OTRs as I have found in some places where SAP doesn't recommend using OTRs.

If anyone is having any idea related to this then please let me know the detailed solution so that I can implement it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards

Mukesh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mukesh,

not sure why sotr_edit isnt working for you.

Check the settings in menu.

Make sure you have the source and target language correct.

Create your oTR texts,

Then use the REVIEW function in menu to translate.

In theory you can use se63 to get to the OTR, but SE63 was meant for DDIC and traditional ABAP texts. I dont try OTR translations there personally.

Using the dictionary for texts and translating in se63 is probably best practice.

But for Quick development OTR can be easier. I think DDIC pay offs down the track.

Looks slower at first but isnt when things like right click help longtext behind fields are considered.

Assistance classes are an unusual case. Translated in Se63 as they belong to traditional

abap texts. I personally dont like the assistance class concept. But perhaps someone can present a nice argument for them. Im keen to learn new philosophies.

Historically they have a role to play where extensive translation and indeed upfront texts

already exist in a regular classes. By adding an interface to these class, the texts can be made available easily. In other words the assistance class interface was aimed at existing large developments. I wouldnt set out to use it as a source of new texts. Although this is completely valid to do so. Just my style preference.

Cheers

Phil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Actually our system is not configured for language translation. Can you please provide me some details of how to configure the system for language translation.

I have gone through the below link but I am not able to make out much from it. Can I get some brief step by step procedure of configuring the system for language translation.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/e8/e8913618e55d40e10000009b38f839/frameset.htm

Regards

Mukesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

for your texts use the assistance class, see <a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/43/1f6442a3d9e72ce10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm">documentation</a> or try <a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/0a/784941bb75f623e10000000a155106/frameset.htm">this</a>

grtz,

Koen

Message was edited by:

Koen Labie

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Koen,

Thanks a lot for the prompt help.

Can you explain me bit more about assistance class and where and how will we maintain the texts for different languages.

Also, we want to keep the text in a central repository in SAP so that we can use it in our other applications as well.

Regards

Mukesh