cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring DB13 for remote Oracle DB using rsh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm trying to configure the DB13 jobs to use remote shell calls to execute brconnect on the DB node. Other than installing a standalone gateway, I want to explore the other option on using sapxpg remote shell calls.

I read "Note 980266 - RFC destination SAPXPG_DBDEST_ does not work" and it states .....

"In releases lower than Basis Release 7.0, the only options available are 'Start via gateway' and 'Remote shell'. Since many customers do not use the second option (remote shell) for security reasons, we will only describe the first option (gateway) here:"

I'm trying to get the 2nd option. Does anyone know any docs or steps I need to take?

I have installed Ataman and configured and tested it successfully.

R/3 4.7 Ent / Win2K3 / Oracle 10g / MSCS - 1 node CI, 1 node DB

Thanks!

Regards,

EAC

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member433984
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

see note <a href="https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/657999">657999</a>

both will work, but ataman is not available for x64/IA64 - that is the reason to use GW instead of rsh. furthermore, the GW is standard supported software with extended tracing possibilities.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Yarozlav,

I installed ataman 4.0 on these x64 boxes and they work just fine with rsh. I'm able to rsh to/from the cluster nodes.

I'm considering the possibility of using remote shell calls over installing a standalone GW despite the benefits.

Everytime I delete the SAPXPG DB RFC destination, the system re-creates it when I run DBCheck and fails.

Any advise?

Regards,

EAC

former_member433984
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi EAC,

if it works - no problem to use it.

But in case of any configuration/operation problem you will need to contact ataman for support.

Furthermore, the standalone GW installation was developed to save the license costs.

Best regards,

Yaroslav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Yaroslav,

What I meant was, rsh from OS level and SM49/SM69 is working but in DB13 I get the following error.

Job started

Step 001 started (program RSDBAJOB, variant &0000000000105, user ID BATCH

No application server found on database host - rsh/Gateway will be used

Execute logical command BRCONNECT On host r3db01

Parameters: -u / -c -f check

SXPG_COMMAND_EXECUTE failed for BRCONNECT - Reason: program_start_error: For More Information, See SYS

Job cancelled after system exception ERROR_MESSAGE

It seems sapxpg is using the DBHOST destination RFC but there's no standalone GW on the DB node. Not sure why it doesn't use rsh since there's no GW installed.

Regards,

EAC

former_member433984
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think this would be an issue for support case...

where it will be recommended to use the note 657999

Strange, you have tested and working for years approach, but you create the difficulties for yourself...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Yaroslav,

It worked fine on the previous 32bit system. System was migrated recently to x64 arch.

Regards,

EAC

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

The issue was resolved when I installed Ataman rsh server on the remote DB and configured the permissions accordingly.

For those facing this issue, make sure you do a remote test. "rsh -l sidadm dir" to eliminate a permission problem.

Also, make sure that the default.pfl has SAPDBHOST set.

Hope this helps someone eventually.

Regards,

Ahmad M.