cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from XI 3.0 (SP17) to PI 7.0 (SP12): Best Practices

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi mates,

I've a few questions regarding the upgrade to PI 7.0.

If the upgrade process is done in phased manner i.e. DEV, QA, PRD in that order over a period of 3 weeks,

How do we handle the transports from DEV->QA->PRD when DEV is 7.0 and QA & PRD on 3.0 using CMS?

Will there be inconsistencies when transports are moved, because a few features could be different or internal representation of IR/ID content could be different in 3.0 & 7.0?

What are the upgrade best practices, phased manner or all at a time?

Please throw more light on this. I appreciate the inputs from people who've helped clients upgrade from 3.0 to 7.0. Any SAP documentation related to this?

I looked at the thread but the answert is very generic, w/o any supporting documentation and real time experience.

thx in adv

praveen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

<i>> Hi mates,

>

> I've a few questions regarding the upgrade to PI

> 7.0.

>

> If the upgrade process is done in phased manner i.e.

> DEV, QA, PRD in that order over a period of 3 weeks,

> How do we handle the transports from DEV->QA->PRD

> when DEV is 7.0 and QA & PRD on 3.0 using CMS?</i>

Im my experience you should implement a change freeze for this period, with the exception of emergency transports - and these have to be justified.

<i>> Will there be inconsistencies when transports are

> moved, because a few features could be different or

> internal representation of IR/ID content could be

> different in 3.0 & 7.0?</i>

Full regression testing will be needed on each interface. If you implement a change freeze this process becomes easier

<i>>

> What are the upgrade best practices, phased manner or

> all at a time?</i>

Allow plenty of resources to fully test every interface, as you would with any upgrade.

You could also take the time to implement the new <a href="https://www.sdn.sap.comhttp://www.sdn.sap.comhttp://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/80bbbd55-5004-2a10-f181-8bb096923cb6">CTS+</a> for this new version to avoid any further transport issues (PI7.0 SP12 +). A new method for a new system!

Also, how is your SLD set up for XI? This can have an impact.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Barry,

Thanks for your inputs.

We are not moving any transports except for the changes resulting from production issues. However, we are expecting a handful of changes to be moved from DEV(7.0) to PRD (3.0). How do we handle these? We have single SLD on DEV system and CMS on a separate box. Do you foresee any issues in transports? Last thing we want is a replica DEV (3.0) to for transporting purposes.

thx

praveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Praveen,

It totally depends on what changes you are doing to the interfaces. for eg, "adapter specific message attributes" are only available for XI 3.0 sp14 and if you use this in dev and trying to move this to older version of XI, obviously it will break. So it sheerly depends on case to case.If they are general changes which are available in all the versions of XI, there will be no problems.

But make sure the features that are going to be used in dev(PI 7.0) are also available in prd(XI 3.0). There will be some problems in the communcation channels, but how ever we manually edit them through out the landscape in all versions of XI/PI.

Regards,

Ravi.

Answers (0)