cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.NET Runtime error - Server Did Not Respond

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am trying to configure the .NET PDK Settings on the portal.

This is the error that I am receiving:

.Net Runtime server: <full qualified server name>:<port> did not respond. Make sure the server is running and configured correctly.

Steps that I have performed are:

1. Installed .NET Runtime 2.5 on a separate Windows server

2. Installed .NET Runtime Hotfix 2 on that Windows server

3. Configured our NW '04s Portal's .NET Config to point to the Windows server

using the standard port: 8051

Need some help troubleshooting this.

Thanks,

Kevin Brewington

International Paper

(901) 419-8137

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have had a similar situation where all servers were configured correctly and the services appeared to be running according to the MMC, but we were getting this error.

It turned out that the service account that the runtime was using did not have permissions to access the relevant folders - even though they were set-up when we first installed .net runtime version 2.0!

It appears that upgrading to .Net Runtime 2.5 effected the permissions (it only happend on one of our servers so I can't really explain why???). When I corrected these permissions the runtimes then worked correctly and these errors dissapeared.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rima,

We have tried restarting the Portal, but this didn't seem to help.

Telnet works when connecting to both our Portal and .NET PDK runtime servers.

The Portal that we are working with here is NW04S SP10. It is running 1 dispatcher and 2 server nodes.

Thanks,

Kevin.

rima-sirich
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

For cluster with 2 nodes, configuration should look like this:

Portal Servers

PortalNode- PortalNode1 Host:Port- localhost:8051

PortalNode- PortalNode2 Host:Port- localhost:8052

.NET Runtime Servers

PortalNode- PortalNode1 Host:Port- <servername>.ipaper.com:8050

PortalNode- PortalNode2 Host:Port- <servername>.ipaper.com:8050

Save changes, restart the configuration service and try again.

Regards,

Rima.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rima,

Thanks for your suggestions. I put these in place using the following information, but I am still receiving the error message that was initially reported:

Portal Servers

PortalNode- 126528650 Host:Port- localhost:8051

PortalNode- 126528651 Host:Port- localhost:8052

.NET Runtime Servers

PortalNode- Server00 Host:Port- <servername>.ipaper.com:8050

We have now entered an OSS Message on the Service Marketplace about this issue, and SAP came back asking about 64-bit hardware usage. Our Enterprise Portal is running on 64-bit UNIX hardware, but our .NET PDK runtime Windows server is only 32-bit. Do you think this could be an issue?

Thanks,

Kevin.

rima-sirich
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

It could be an issue, but before we'll finally give up, let's fix your configuration settings. In Portal Servers configuration, you configure for each Portal node the port it should use for communication with .NET Runtime Servers. So yours Portal Servers configuration is ok. In .NET Runtime Servers configuration you configure for the same Portal node - to what .NET Runtime Server it should redirect .NET requests. So your .NET Runtime Servers configuration is wrong. You should change it to the following:

.NET Runtime Servers

PortalNode- 126528650 Host:Port- <servername>.ipaper.com:8050

PortalNode- 126528651 Host:Port- <servername>.ipaper.com:8050

Save changes, restart the configuration service and try again.

Regards,

Rima.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rima,

I have tried the suggestion that you provided with the same results. We have applied a patch that SAP provided for 64-bit compatibility. We will test this out today and see if it helped.

Thank you for the ideas, so please keep them coming if you have any others!

Kevin.

rima-sirich
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

Actually, I have one more idea Could you please verify following:

Navigate to System Administration -> System Configuration -> Service Configuration.

Expand Applications -> com.sap.portal.dotnet.framework -> Services.

Right click the iViewProcessorService, click the Configure context menu item.

Verify in Property Editor window that opens that configuration settings that appear there are similar ( in different format, but similar ) to configuration settings that you wrote when configured the configuration service. The interesting properties are of course .NET Runtime Servers Configuration and Portal Servers Configuration.

Thanks,

Rima.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rima,

Unfortunately, the settings are the same in both locations within the Portal.

Thanks,

Kevin.

rima-sirich
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

I am still not giving up

You mentioned that you are working with NW04s SP 10, but you didn't mention if you deployed the sda's that are coming with PDK 2.5 for .NET installation. Those sda's should be deployed to NW04, but not to NW04s as NW04s installation already includes the most updated version of those files. In case you deployed them, it could cause the problem as they are not compatible with NW04s.

Regards,

Rima.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rima,

We did redeploy the .sda files for the .NET PDK on the Portal itself, but we simply redeployed the ones that came with NW04s instead of deploying the ones that came with PDK 2.5.

If you think this might help, we can redeploy these again.

Thanks,

Kevin.

rima-sirich
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

Which Windows server do you use ? PDK for .NET still doesn't support 64-bit systems. When you use Windows 64-bit server, you get the error ".NET Runtime server did not respond. Make sure the server is running and configured correctly" even if everything is running and configured correctly.

Regards,

Rima.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rima,

I do not believe that we are using 64-bit. I have the PDK for .NET runtime installed simply on a Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition machine. I have double-checked the configuration, and I can't seem to find anything wrong.

Thanks,

Kevin.

rima-sirich
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

Well, if all the hardware and software requirements are met, when it has to be the configuration issue. Would you like to share your configuration settings in order to review them together ?

Regards,

Rima.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rima,

What configuration settings would you like to see specifically? I can provide all that is relevant.

Thanks,

Kevin.

rima-sirich
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

I would like to see the configuration settings from the Portal:

System Administration -> Support -> Portal Runtime for Microsoft .NET ->

.NET Runtime Service Configuration. The more interesting settings are

Portal Servers and .NET Runtime Servers.

Regards,

Rima.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rima,

In looking at this administration iView...

Portal Servers

PortalNode- "Empty"

Host:Port- localhost:8051

.NET Runtime Servers

PortalNode- *

Host:Port- <servername>.ipaper.com:8050

When I do a Check Server on the .NET Runtime Server that I have set up, I get the connection error that I specified earlier in this thread.

Thanks,

Kevin.

rima-sirich
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

I would suggest you to try several things:

1. In Portal Servers in PortalNode write Portal node id ( don't leave it empty ). You can obtain Portal node id by restarting the service ( like in 3 ).

2. In .NET Runtime Servers in Host:Port write <servername>.ipaper.com IP adress instead of <servername>.ipaper.com

3. Restart the configuration service by clicking "Restart" link in Application details area.

Regards,

Rima.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rima,

I did make your changes as you requested, but I have been unable to test these out due to a second issue that we are having around the .NET PDK:

When I select the .NET Runtime Servers -

PortalNode radio button and click the Check Server button. This will hang and then

time out in an attempt to connect to the .NET PDK runtime Windows

server.

The timeout error looks like this:

Proxy Error

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

The proxy server could not handle the request POST /irj/servlet/prt/portal/prteventname/HtmlbEvent/prtroot/com.sap.portal.dotnet.framework.configuration.ConfigEditor.

Reason: Error reading from remote server

-

Apache/2.0.55 (Unix) DAV/2 Server at rdv.ipaper.com Port 80

Any ideas here?

Thanks,

Kevin.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rima,

I made the changes that you suggested and was able to test this out successfully. I am still receiving the same error message that I was from the start.

Any other ideas here?

Thanks,

Kevin.

rima-sirich
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

Sometimes re-starting the Portal Server helps to solve this kind of problems ...

Could you please check and tell me what do you get when you:

1. telnet Portal_host 8051

2. telnet .NET_runtime_host 8050

Which NW04s SP do you have ? Is it a cluster or just one node ?

Regards,

Rima.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

how are you doing ?

this is a generic error message,

if you have followed the config steps as specified in the prescribed documentation

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/35242098-0d01-0010-bba4-e30...

then let us see hwat comes next, by going step by step ...

1> do you have a firewall on your windows server ? please disable (if possible, or enable the port) for a moment to check if the connection can go thru

2> ensure ASP.NET is functioning properly

3> please paste the log file of the J2EE instance, it will give a more detailed description of the error

4> please ensure that the .net runtime server is up and running

with respect,

amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Amit,

1. No, there is no firewall on the Windows machine

2. I reinstalled .NET Framework 2.0 on the machine, and it looks to be functioning properly

3. This is what I am seeing in the log file: "Could not connect to the .NET runtime server. <br>Contact your administrator if the problem persists.<br>Possible reasons:<br>1. The Portal Runtime for .NET service is not running or installed.<br>2. The .NET Runtime Servers Configuration property of 'iViewProcessorService' service is not correct. Check the syntax of server nodes, hosts and ports settings"

4. .NET Runtime server is up-and-running as viewed via the MMC on the server.

Thanks,

Kevin.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

how are you doing today ?

could you confirm which folder (in windows) the log file is found under ?

i would like to read the relevent contents of the EP7 Java Stack serverN (e.g. server0)

with respect,

amit