cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number Ranges in MDM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can MDM take care of Alpha numeric number ranges like "PZZZZ".

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Ram

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Guys

I went through this thread and the solution is pretty good,

I have one questio on this.

I know that we can check Key Mapping on the records to see the material Number as a Key Mapping value, is there any way we can populate say a field (Material Info) which can display External system and the Key Value (Material Number).

Defining Material Info field as tuple with multiple values.

Regards

Gaurav

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ram,

if you import data that has a number range information like defined, this is not a problem - as long as you have defined the field to store the value as a text field.

In case of the number range creation by MDM, only numeric number ranges are currently supported.

BR Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

I am using MDM as source system and vendor master will be distributed to various system like BI,SRM,FI.

Could you please suggest some why how to maintain number ranges for the same.

Thanks,

Rohit

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

number ranges in SAP systems can be anything, numeric, alpha numeric, and so on. Fact is that MDM can create only numeric number ranges. So if MDM is the leading system I'd use MDMs number creation and ensure that the MDM created numbers will be accepted by the other remote systems. The trick is to ensure that the number ranges are defined equally in MDM as well as in the remote systems.

BR Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

From the reply i understood that MDM create number ranges .

I have a doubt this number ranges are different from the MDM id for the records which don't have any significance out of MDM.

So in the console keymapping i have to assign range for the records so MDM will automatically generate the number ranges for the records as we do in R/3 .

So in this case i have to use only ranges option out of none, ranges and qualified ranges.

Thanks in advance

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

One more thing i would like to ask you .

In the master record what i have to fill against vendor number or material.

What i understand , If MDM is generating number ranges then we have to keep this field as blank and system will assign number to it.

tahnsk in advance

Rohit

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

you're right. MDM's generated number ranges have nothing in common with the MDM ID. As you've written, MDM number ranges are defined in Console for each target Remote System. The trick is to define a number range in MDM Console that equals an existing (or to be created) number range in your target system. If you generate numbers in MDM, these numbers will be sent to your target system. This means that your target system's number range must be defined as "external number assignment" as the numbers come from MDM.

BR Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

Could you please be more specific where and how i have to define number ranges and where will it be reflected in the records as i understood it will be soon in vendor number field.

Correct me if i am wrong, In Console> Admin> Remote System->Type(inbound/outbond)> Key generation (option --None range and qualifiled) please let me know which option i ahve to select and stste the range in the next options.

I think from here only we can trigger the number range,

My main doubt is if i select range and from to limit define in the console then this defined range will i get in the field of Vendor number in the record if i am keeping blank in my transfer of the record(may be via excel or portal).

Please help me in solving this issue.

Thanks,

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes the number is generated when the record send to external system,but if needed to identify the same record in mdm after a later time how can we identify the record in mdm.

i mean is how to get the same number reflected to the record in MDM for further reference of the record.

Plz let me know ASAP,as i am now in need to implement that case.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shifali,

Did you got to resolve this issue?

Actually I am also looking for a answer on the same problem.

Any feedback on this is higly appreciable.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Ravi

former_member208981
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

If you are generating the number at the time of Syndication, it will be updated in MDM, but can only be seen in Edit key mapping.

So, the solution is to import the number back into MDM, base on a unique identifier. You can also use API to update this value against the particular record in MDM once the material gets created.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Priti

Former Member
0 Kudos

If the number range is flat for all account groups then use "Range" option for key generation. If range differs for account groups use "Qualified Range".

And best way to take back this number is to use a SAP PI interface.

To achieve this what i did in my scenario: I took one field as Unique ID duplicate of MDM ID. and posting it in a field which is not being used by business into ECC i.e DATLT (Data Line).

After posting of Customer or Vendor, RBDMIDOC report is scheduled every 10 mins which triggers Idoc back to MDM from ECC and on the basis of Unique ID, Number is being updated for all master records which were created in this 10 mins duration.

BR,

Alok Sharma

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alok,

Thank you very much for your reply. This is the option which also came to my mind.

Just to clarify one thing. So in your case all the records created in 10 mins time span are syndicated back to MDM, plz confirm.

I was wondering that is there a way to handle specific records only. My scenario is, if internal number range is assigned to any specific material type. So while a material is created in MDM for internal material number range & external number range as well & sent to ECC, I would like to sent back only the material for which a internal number is created back to ECC & not other records.

Is there way to handle this?

Thanks once again.

Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

If i am not wrong and able to understand you correctly, you want to syndicate records to ECC with internal number range only which is set for specific material type say XYZ right?

If this is true you can filter this material type XYZ for that particular syndicating map using drill down search in Syndicator where you click on this particular type XYZ which will filter records to syndicate only with Material Type XYZ. You can see in status bar XXX of total records found where XXX are all the records which have assigned only material type XYZ to these records and then you can save this in your Syndication map. So in this manner you would able to syndicate specific records only.

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ravi,

Yes, every 10 mins any record created gets updated from ECC.

I also have same scenario, ECC follows two number ranges. One from CRM and another from MDM. And MDM also maintains number for those customers which are coming from CRM and then send it to ECC.

One thing you can do is put mapping logic in PI for that internal number range to pass it to MDM and block external or otherwise do a flat scenario. Does not matter if client does have any issues if the customer number gets updated once again.

BR,

Alok Sharma

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alok,

Thanks once again for your reply.

Precisely to say in my scenario there is a user exit, so as such the material type & the number range assignment doesnu2019t play a role.

So if the external number is used while creation of a material, the external number is assigned & if not then the internal number is assigned based on the code written using some custom table.

I just was hoping to find the way to syndicate records back to MDM only for which a material number is created internally & not all records.

Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ravi,

Yes you are right.

Unfortunately, RBDMIDOC Report does not provide functionality to put filter. I am sure using PI mapping rules its possible. Please take help from PI team.

BR,

Alok

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alok,

I would like to understand from you the usage of qualified range. If I need to use a account group as qualified range field for vendor then I can have the same number range which is assigned to different Account groups & are grouped under the same no groups.

Am I missing some thing?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Diffrent appraoches can be adopted for Number range generation, my understading is like this,

With qualified Range you can have numbers based on Account groups which is similar to your R/3 but then you get this number while syndication or in Edit key Mapping not against the record in Data Manager. hence you need to send this to R/3 (Here number range need to make external) and recall the same by enabling some change Pointers. further this can be imported using unique ID.

Rather Modify your Account group table to maintain Number ranges group and add one more Lookup which will have group ID and assing number ranges to this ID. Further you can use API to generate numbers in data manager ( I am considering you are using Portal)

Cheers,

Rc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I also have the same understanding of qualified range. But this alone is not serving the purpose in the case where I have a different set of account groups attached to Number range. If I had a single account group attached to a single number range then itu2019s achievable but how to handle the other scenario?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ravi,

Say Acount Groups:0001, 0002, 0003 have same number range 1000000000-1099999999. Acount Groups: 0004, 0005, 0006 have same number range 1111111111-1999999999.

Then use another lookup table: XYZ with two values: NUMRANGE1, NUMRANGE2 and use this table in qualified range to assign number ranges different acount groups.

You can add more values in XYZ on the basis of your number range and account groups.

Now write an assignment which will assign the value NUMRANGE1 if he acount group is 0001, 0002 or 0003 and assign the value NUMRANGE2 if he value is 0004, 0005, or 0006.

BR,

Alok Sharma

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alok,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I just want to ask you that have worked out this solution successfully?

The reason being I am already in middle of this solution & facing some issue.

Regards,

Ravi.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alok,

Again I am confused over this statement "Then use another lookup table: XYZ with two values: NUMRANGE1, NUMRANGE2 and use this table in qualified range to assign number ranges different acount groups.".

Can you please eleborate more on this?

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ravi,

Yes this is working fine at my current project. To elaborate more: As one table can be used in Qualified range and you cannot use Account Groups table because more then one account grps have same number range.

So you need to take another lookup table say Account Groups1 (eg: XYZ taken previously) for the qualified range instead of Account Groups actual table. The purpose is: for more than one account groups which have same number range you will take one value: Numrange1 and so on.

Now you will take a main table field for this table Account Groups1 and write an assignment on it. Now say if your end user select Account Group as 0001or 0002 or 0003 so assignment will populate value Numrange1 in that field and while syndicating the number will be generated.

BR,

Alok Sharma

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi

In one of MDM projects we stored the number ranges(both numeric and alpha numeric) against the different account groups as defined in ECC and also the last number used for that account group. Assuming you have portal as UI the table can be read for the last number used and incremented by 1 for assigning the next number for the record created.

Anotherapproach could be to use a calculated field for number generation based on Auto ID with nested IF statement/

If acct group=001, Matnr=AutoID10000000-1 or AutoID200000000-1 and so on. This way even for the same number range used across different account groups the number assigned will be different in MDM and syndicated to ECC as well.

best regards

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alok,

I highly appreciate your responses to my query.

As I told earlier that I am facing a issue in getting the things done.

I have followed the more or else approach as told by you. Below are the steps I have carried out.

- Created a new lookup table with fields : Account group, Number range, From No, To No & Current no.

- I have created a new field in the main table of vendor.

The issue is that based on the account group value from the main table I cannot check things in the new created table.

Also I cannot execute the assignment on the main table against the newly created lookup table as assignments cannot be cross table based.

Can you please let me know where things are going wrong in my case?

Thanks a lot once again.

Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ravi,

Your approach is a bit different than as described by me.

You need to take another lookup table with only one field: Name it RANGE.

Now in Data Manager put as many values in this table as many number ranges you have. Values can be anything.

For Example: Assuming you have three different Number Ranges. Your lookup will have 3 values.

NumberRange1

NumberRange2

NumberRange3

Now come to Console back. Take this table in Qualified range and assign 3 different number ranges to 3 different values.

NumberRange1 = 1000000000-1099999999

NumberRange2 = 1111111111-1999999999

NumberRange3 = 2000000000-2099999999

Now assume your two account groups :0001, 0002 have number range 1000000000 to 1099999999.

0003, 0004 have number range 1111111111-1999999999 and account groups 0004, 0005 have number range 2000000000-2099999999.

You main table must have two fields one is Account Group and another is Number Range.

Now write an assignment: If account group is 0001 or 0002 then assign value NumberRange1 in field Number Range.

else if account group is 0003 0r 0004 then assign value NumberRange2 in field Number Range. else if account group is 0004 or 0005 then assign value NumberRange3.

Your purpose will be solved.

BR,

Alok Sharma

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alok,

Thanks a billion for the detail explanation.

Can you just clarify on one thing so as I can go ahead & follow your approach?

You mention to carry out below step:

Now come to Console back. Take this table in Qualified range and assign 3 different number ranges to 3 different values.

NumberRange1 = 1000000000-1099999999

NumberRange2 = 1111111111-1999999999

NumberRange3 = 2000000000-2099999999

where I need to take this table in qualified range? Do you mean to say in the remote system details? I am not able to find the where the qulliied range appears except the in the remote system.

Please clarify on this point.

Thanks once again for your help.

Regards,

Ravi.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes you are right in Remote System itself you need to take qualified range.

BR,

Alok Sharma

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alok,

Thanks a lot for your help on this issue.

The solution is working now.

Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alok,

I have got one more question for you.

How you have handled the external number range for the account groups.

The reason being that if the external number range is alphanumeric or just numeric which is not in the number ranges of the qualified range fails to syndicate while syndication.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Ravi

Edited by: Ravi_sap01 on Apr 20, 2010 8:28 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Devendra,

Could you please more elaborate on your doubt.

External Number Ranges will be maintained in ECC and will be linked to Account Groups. MDM take those number ranges and maintain using qualified range.

If any number range which is not maintained under Qualified Range, MDM would not able to syndicate it.

As Qualified range cannot maintain alphanumeric ranges, despite there are alternatives in MDM to handle alphanumeric ranges as well using Assignments to take one or two extra fields in MDM Repository.

BR,

Alok Sharma

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alok,

Thanks for your reply.

The scneario is like this:

I have three different account group 001,002 & 003.

Account group 001 & 002 are internal number rnage & 003 for external one.

For 001 & 002 I have the qualified range as in the remote system. But for 003 I dont specify any qualified range, so while I syndicate the record the syndication fails.

So how to deal with this issue?

Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alok,

Kindly ignore my earlier question as I mixed up couple of things from customization.

Can you please let me know how alphanumeric account group can be handled in this case?

Regards,

Ravi