Did you mean: 

32-bit versus 64-bit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts, in this IBM redbook

The Benefits of Running SAP Solutions on IBM System x

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpieces/pdfs/redp4234.pdf

I read:

32-bit servers are increasingly problematic to operate. Without fine-tuned configurations they cannot fulfill the latest requirements for main memory. SAP introduced 64-bit capabilities into its architecture as early as 1998 in order to be able to serve both needs with optimal performance and greatest ease of use. Experiences gained clearly prove the benefits of 64-bit environments for SAP software. SAP support for 64-bit is available as early as SAP R/3 4.6C1. With 64-bit technology widely available since 2004, SAP announced In a letter to their
customers dated April 20062 that they will be releasing new software in 64-bit and Unicode - an international standard for character sets - only, starting 2007.
Over the past years 64-bit support has become a standard in the world of AMD/Intel® based servers. All IBM System x Servers currently available support 64-bit operation.

Taking all this into account, using a 32-bit server for a new SAP installation is no longer desireable nor viable.

Are they talking about hardware architecture or what?

I mean they say that it's better to buy a 64 bit processor like Itanium or AMD 64 or we can buy a 32 bit processor capable of running 64 bit application?

Please advise.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

In short, all hardware architecture, OS, DBMS, and SAP kernel should be 64-bit.

Since you are looking to System x, basically 64-bit processor as hardware, 64-bit Windows or Linux, 64-bit DBMS, 64-bit JDK, and 64-bit SAP Kernel.

Best regards,

Victor

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member433984
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

see here

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Are they talking about hardware architecture or

> what?

> I mean they say that it's better to buy a 64 bit

> processor like Itanium or AMD 64 or we can buy a 32

> bit processor capable of running 64 bit application?

> Please advise.

A "32bit processor capable of running 64bit applications" is basically AMD64

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus, yes I know that AMD64 has that potential but my question really is:

If you have to buy a new Hardware for SAP applications, which server do you buy:

a 64bit processor or a 32 bit processor?

Rudi_Wiesmayr
Active Participant
0 Kudos

When you buy NOW, you almost get no more server where the processor ist NOT capable of running 64bit Windows.

We recently installed BI 7.0 on a 2x2-core AMD HP-Server. All x64. This stuff is really hot. And our consultant was very pleased of the performance.

HTH, Rudi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Victor, thank you very much for your quick and very clear reply.

Kind regards.