cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reaching free space with SAP DB on Windows

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

I am using SOLMAN with SAP DB on Windows and (funnily enough) reaching the free space on my computer (no arching mode is activated).

Can some one tell me how to proceed in this case (can I put away the log files or the data files that are not being used). How can I extend the free space without much effort?

Is there some useful transactions (like db02 in oracle) to manage the SAP DB?

Thank you!

regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Axel,

which error do you get? Do you get data full or log full error, or nothing of both?

If there is no space left for the database in the file system ans you do not get dbfull or logfull errors than please check the the Data Area Extension feature (available with MaxDB 7.6).

Check it as user <sid>adm

dbmcli -d <DB-SID> -U c

auto_extend SHOW

Deactivate it with

dbmcli -d <DB-SID> -U c

auto_extend OFF

Is there is a dbfull or logfull please have a look at the notes mentioned by Andreas Herzog before.

Best regards

Christian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Axel,

usefull tools for DB extension etc. are the DBMGui and the web portion of it. If you use Windows the web version could be assessible within the SAP Management Console.

If it is not available please have a look at the Windows tools service.sap.com/swdc -> Download -> Supportpackages and Patches -> Entry by Application Group -> Additional Components -> MaxDB -> MAXDB GUI COMPONENTS/TOOLS

A (more) usefull transaction for MaxDB is db50 or db59 (for Remote access). Bus you cant manage the system completely with this transaction, please use DBMGui or DBLCLI instead.

Best regards

Christian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

Thank you!

The both tools I have already installed.

What realy strange is, my space have benn reached the limit, although I do not use archiving mode.

Can you tell me some information how to manage the DB (data files, logs)?

Thank you!

regards

andreas_herzog
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

^^ did you read sapnotes n° 869.267 & 846.890?

GreetZ, AH

former_member229109
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Axel,

-> You wrote:

"can I put away the log files or the data files that are not being used"

What do you mean by that?

-> If you think that you oversize the data & log area during the creation of the database, please let me know the configuration of the data & log volume in the database, provide the output of the command 'param_getvolsall'. What is the filling of the data & log area? What is the version of your database?

-> Please review the SAP note: 869267 FAQ: MaxDB LOG area

< You will find the answer on the questions

"25. What should I bear in mind if the log area is saved to files?"

&

"26. How do I archive the log backup files generated?"

and more ... >

-> As of 7.6 version you could use 'db_deletevolume' command, you could find details in MAXDB library to delete the datavolume for the reducing size of the dataarea, if the size of the data area was oversized.

To reduce size of the log area < or shrink the log area > and reduce the size of the data area in the earlier releases of the database => use the Homogeneous system copy with MaxDB using backup/restore procedure < SAP Note No. 129352 >.

Thank you and best regards, Natalia Khlopina