cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questionnaire for users of SAP GUI (closed)

RMW
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

When using SAP GUI *) for a while, users tend to open new session windows and maybe new connections to other SAP system instances as well. With the increasing number of windows, it can be difficult to find and switch to the session you want to proceed working with.

SAP is currently looking into ways to improve the session handling in the SAP GUI. Options including a <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_document_interface">multiple document interface (MDI)</a> or <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabbed_document_interface">tabbed document interface (TDI)</a> approach are being discussed. The latter has been adopted by many web browsers for similar reasons.

In order to ease the process of finding an appropriate interaction model, it would be helpful to have a good understanding of how people are working with the SAP GUI today.

For this purpose we would like to ask you to provide feedback on the questions below. You can either directly reply in this thread or send a mail to woersi (at) sap (dot) com with the subject starting with "Questionnaire".

Note: The new approach will be an additional option and will not replace the current implementation.

<b>1. What is your role using the SAP GUI?</b>

a) admin/technical/developer

b) business user

c) consultant

d) other

<b>2. Do you think the multiple document interface or tabbed document interface could make handling of multiple windows in SAP GUI more convenient?</b>

a) yes

b) no (better to leave it up to the window management of the platform SAP GUI is running on like entries in the Windows taskbar)

<b>3. In how many different SAP systems are you (or the users in your company) typically working in parallel?</b>

a) one

b) two

c) more

<b>4. How many sessions in total do you (or the users in your company) have open in parallel?</b>

a) one or two

b) three to six

c) more

<b>5. What do you think is the preferred window arrangement for end users?</b>

a) each SAP session in a separate window

b) all SAP sessions (of all connections) in one single window

<b>6. How would you like to use the SAP Easy Access menu?</b>

a) show it only at the beginning like it is today

b) display it on request (like after clicking on some area) when you want to launch a new transaction

c) you are not really using it

<b>7. Which SAP GUI(s) you are using in your company?</b>

a) SAP GUI for Windows

b) SAP GUI for Java

c) SAP GUI for Html

<b>8. Please add any comments you may have regarding the questions above.</b>

Please send your feedback by <b>July 27th</b> at the latest.

Looking forward to your input.

Rolf-Martin Woersinger

SAP GUI for Java project lead

*) Please consider the term “SAP GUI” representing both SAP GUI for Windows and SAP GUI for Java

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Satyabrata_Basu
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rolf-martin,

here is my answers (emailing not possible

1. a+c

2. a

3. c

4. c (however for the end-users mostly b)

5. a (personally I would prefer to have the option of user can choose)

6. b

7. c

8. My comment would be not to make too many changes at one go or deactivate the current options completely as SAPGui is often used by business users who just wants to get their daily job done. Too many changes will mean user training and frequent support issue at the beginning.

Cheers !!

Satya.

Answers (11)

Answers (11)

RMW
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello,

thanks to all who contributed to this questionnaire.

We are now closing this thread and evaluate your input.

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. a)

2. a) yes

3. one or two (but almost always, with multiple windows (e.g. 6) in

each system.

4. Usually, three to six - but ten isn't unusual.

5. a) each SAP session in a separate window (because it makes

comparisons between sessions easier - also it helps with cutting and

pasting between sessions).

6. b) display it on request (like after clicking on some area) when

you want to launch a new transaction

7. a) SAP GUI for Windows and b) SAP GUI for Java

8. On the Mac implementation of the JavaGui, the Windows menu

currently identifies sessions by a System name and a session number

(for example, "Dev(3)"). I'd really like more information to identify

the session, perhaps adding the transaction code (for example,

"Dev(3)SE38").

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. a) + c)

2. probably a), but maybe an option to choose would be helpful

3. b)

4. b)

5. it depends. For comparisons (on large screens or on two monitors), I would like to have option a) available

6. personally c) (I prefer t-codes), most users b)

7. a) + b)

8. Please keep on to make the GUI accessible with keyboard commands

Best regards,

Matthias

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rolf-Martin,

1. a)

2. a)

3. c)

4. b)

5. a)

6. c) (using tcodes...)

7. b)

Best regards,

Elmar.

Former Member
0 Kudos

1) c

2) only when i will have hands on experience in SAP, then only i can give a correct answer

3) c

4) a

5) a

6) b

7) a

I hope you will bring out the best from both MDI & TDI for easy handling & navigation.

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. a

2. a

3. b

4. b

5. a

6. a

7. a, b, c

8. Thank you for your continued work on the SAP GUI for Java, it is very much appreciated!

Former Member
0 Kudos

1) c

2) a

3) c

I currently work in about 6 different system but mainly because of the SAP upgrade

normally 3 (development, Quality Assurance, Production) sometimes in SAP BW. But most users work in 1 some also have access to BW

4) b

5) b

Both options in the same screen and separate should be available like the new webbrowser because screens are getting bigger or users have multiple screens.

6) b

7) a

Some users use the internet I think when the web gui improves with for example the features from web 2.0 it will become the preferred graphical interface.

😎 I would like to see more support for web 2.0

Best Regards,

Dennis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, thise are my answers:

1. a + c

2. a but i think make both available

3. c

4. c

5. a, make both available

6. c

7. b (70% of the time) + a (the rest for the time)

Comments:

I wish to have the same new ABAP-Editor for the SAP GUI for Java than you have with the new ABAP-Editor for SAP GUI for Windows.

For Understanding, I'm working with a 17" MacBookPro 2,4 Ghz and 4GB RAM (of course Windows XP is running under Paralles/Vmware)

Meinolf

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have been sat here thinking (bad idea) that with so many sessions possible in SAP it would be nice if you could see what the session was without having to bring the window for the session into the foreground.

An option to have the SYSTEM ID and CLIENT i.e. 'DCC 300' displayed on the button refering to the session would assist in knowing which session was required.

This was pasted from a mail I sent to SAP personnel earlier and is another idea to add to your current considerations.

1 a

2 a - both will but will depend on a persons preference

3 b mostly and c often

4 b

5 a

6 c

7 a

What about having all sap sessions for a single connection i.e. all CM(378 client) in a single window and one window per connection i.e. CRM(50) 1 window, CM(50) 1 window,CM(53) 1 window.

Numbers in brackets indicate the client (mandt) the user will be in.

lorenzo_nicora2
Explorer
0 Kudos

1. abc

2. make both available

3. a

4. b

5. make both available

6. a, as a fixed sidebar, always visible even when working with transactions/tabs

7. a for 99% of the users, b for few of us (osx and linux)

Comments:

separate windows like it's now is confusing. I would work 90% of the time with tabbed browsin if I could. Sometimes, however, separate windows would be better if you work with two monitors.

For OSX/Java version ctrl+E switch among windows (rotating) but I think that a command for switching back to the last sapgui window would be better.

The majority of End users I've seen so far, works with only one session/window opened, however...

As the previous reader wrote, let the user choose a new tab/new window like forefox/safari, ecc.... would be the best.

eddy_declercq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi, Here are my answers. E-mailing things would be more workable, by you didn't specify an e-mail address in you BC.

1. a)

2. a)

3. c)

4. c)

5. make both available as eg in Forefox

6. personally c). But I guess b) is more useful for everybody

7. a)

Eddy