Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alpha-Numeric Validations

swapnilkulkarni
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

Can anybody help me out for alpha-numeric client-side Validation? I want to allow only numeric value. I did try using some Text Functions available and succeeded in not allowing 'Character Only' input but when the input has 'characters and digit' (alpha-numeric) the functions appear to be less helpful although i tried various AND OR conditions....

If anyone has tried this please let me know its a bit urgent.....

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

swapnilkulkarni
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am using VC 7.0 (SP12) and the control in question is "Combo-Box" which allows manual entry and this is the reason why client-side validation is a must.

I also want to share a bit unusual experience with Combo-Box- If we enter the value manually we must press ENTER after it otherwise the value simply does not get passed in Submit event and if we enter a value which in not in the drop-down list, the value is not shown and the combo-box displays 'blank' although it 'takes' the entered value and passes it properly, of course ENTER is a must! I don't its by design or is this kind of different design....We had to display this message (in a label) in all input forms as our client was not at all happy with such a design!

Please help with formula of filtering alpha-numeric values or for passing ONLY numeric values....

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

swapnilkulkarni
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I was really hoping to have some answers or clues from some VC masters and Moderators who are really of helping nature. But as of now the problem is resolved.

Hi Nidhi,

it depends a bit on what control you are using and what exactly is to be filtered. We needed to pass ONLY numeric values. The way we achieved this is (though a long-cut) - parsing the input string character by character to find if it really contains a number (than a character which can be very tedious). we used the text functions available. However this may be problematic if your input contains many characters.

Also in flash compiler mode if we use the validation tab, the error message is displayed but user can submit the form, so take care to disable the submit button. (However in Webdynpro compiler mode this is not necessary.)

I hope SAP will give '<b>IsNumeric</b>' Function along with other numeric/ string functions available in VC in upcoming versions to ease the client-side validations.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Swapnil,

How did you get 'Character Only' validation?

Regards

Nidhi