cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing SAP internet Mail Gateway

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good day fellow weaver,

I have a question regarding the location of SAP Internet Mail Gateway that needs your opinion. We have 2 sites County A and Country B and both countries are connected via a WAN link. Each Country has a SAP R/3 installation. Is it advisable for both countries to share the same Internet Mail Gateway that is located in Country A.? With this set up, traffic from Country B will travel via WAN to Country A’s DC to SMTP server. If it is Country B’s internal email, then it will travel via the WAN back to Country B. I will imagine an increase in the network traffic between these 2 countries and the lapse between sending & receiving of email. Have you experience similar scenario before? I am trying to discourage the above-mentioned scenario from happening and I need concrete evidence to convince the customer otherwise.

Pls advise.

Thanks in advance

Chee

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member188556
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chee

Hope u may find some thing useful from this link...

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2004/helpdata/en/6c/69c50a418d11d1896e0000e8322d00/frameset.htm

Regards

Bobu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chee,

I think if you want to counter this, you need to first ask why not separate internet mail gateway for each SAP system, what are we gaining by sharing internet mail gateway ? Is it -

1. Cost

2. Performance

3. Overhead

If there is not much difference then choose the option which is simple ( KISS ).

Otherthing you can look at is the dependecy it is causing for critical mail based process. What will happen if one system is down (planned or unplanned) ? Why to create unnecessary dependency ?

-Sanjeev