cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use JBoss Cache in SAP WebAS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are in the process of porting JBoss J2EE based application into SAP WAS6.4. We have problem with JBoss Cache. Our application uses JBoss cache to cache frequently accessed Java objects in order to improve the performance. Does any one has any idea on using JBoss Cache in SAP WebAS?

Thanks a lot!

Jay

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Opgenorth
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Jay,

I don't know about the interiors of JBoss.

Do you use a JBoss specific API to access this cache?

If so, we do not have the API inside WebAS.

If this is a transparent cache, we provide some possibilities like caching database tables.

Best regards,

Juergen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Juergen,

I didn't use JBoss specific API. Originally this is a third party product. Later on JBoss acquired it and rename to JBoss cache. I can use it on websphere also as a service and load this service before I start the application. Does SAP WebAS has this kind of mechnism to load a service?

Thanks!

Jay

Opgenorth
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Jay,

can you explain, what you mean with using it as a service?

Is the cache deployed as library and then referred by the application?

Best regards,

Juergen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jürgen,

hi folks

in JBoss you can deploy any non-core component of the AS as a service, like jmx consoles, jbossmq, tomcat etc. These are in "JBoss Service Archive"-Files (SAR), which include all needed librarys. Or you can use service deployment descriptor files (<name>-service.xml), there you define the class implementing the service and set parameters.

For more info, take a look in the JBoss WiKi:

http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=SERVICEdotXML

Edit:

Oh, i just forgot to say that it shouldn't do any problem to use the classic JBossCache API (just only some recoding/reconfiguration), but would assume probs using JBossCacheAOP API.

Bye

Halil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Halil,

Yes, I just use JBossCache API, not AOP. What you mean "just only some recoding/reconfiguration"? I still can use MBean Service to load it on SAP WebAS? What kind of recoding I need to do. Because I want to run the product on different platforms(SAP WebAS, Websphere, Weblogic & JBoss) on same code base. Would you please give me more advice?

Thanks a lot!

Jay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jay,

the usage of the MBean Service is AFAIK JBoss specific. But you can use JBoss Cache in a standalone matter in a other AS or even in a non J2EE environment.

There are some examples in the JBoss WiKi how to use JBoss Cache with IBM WebSphere and BEA WebLogic (http://www.jboss.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=JBossCache).

Be aware, that the used startup class in the Weblogic example is specific for BEA, while the usage of the singleton pattern (as used in the WebSphere example) should be easy adapted to SAP WebAS. I don't tested if a bind of the TreeCache objects to the JNDI is possible (i don't believe it if the WebAS JNDI sticks strictly on the J2EE spec).

If i find some time in the next week i will post a small example in a blog.

Bye

Halil