cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting an iView's Name Using PDK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi folks,

Does anyone know if I can <b>set</b> the name of an iView from code? We're migrating some applications from another portal environment where we were able to set the name that's displayed in the component's heading and I'd like to know if it's possible to do the same thing within EP6.

Cheers

Mal.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mal,

Could you provide more information so we could understand better the whole context:

1. from which portal are you migrating?

2. are you migrating .net portal components?

3. Why do you want to change the iView name from the portal component code?

4. how did you do that in the previous portal?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tsachi, answers to your questions:

1. We're looking at porting from Plumtree 4.5

2. Yes, the existing portlets are built in .NET

3. We gave users the ability to change the title/name in the existing portlet, so that it didn't require an administrator to have to make this change.

4. We store the new name in a setting/property/database column and use some client-side Javascript to change the text inside the HTML tag of the portlet's title.

Thanks

Mal.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mal,

I bring excellent news for you.

It is possible the change an iView name in the iView tray, and it will be done <u>without</u> any JavaScript.

From the content admin right click on the iView and choose open->object, make sure that the property category drop down is set to information, right click on the triangle next to the name property and change the End-User Personalization to ReadWrite.

That is it.

When you will view this iView in a page you can open it's properties editor and change the iView tray name.

I hope it answered your question

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Tsachi, I think this is very useful and it certainly has opened another train of thought for other uses.

On a similar topic, we have been discussing the best way to handle configuring our iViews and I'd be keen to hear anyone's thoughts on this matter. I'll give some context; forgive me if this gets a bit long...

With our existing Plumtree portlets, we have the ability to configure settings using a separate web page. Typically, we will store these settings in a separate database for the portlet application, because there'll be relationships we need to maintain between content items that are displayed in the portlet. So the configuration screen is a separate web page (could be a component in EP6 if need be), that is accessed via a URL that is specified during registration of the portlet. The URL is accessed through a drop-down menu option in the portlet's heading, much the same as the Personalize option is displayed for an iView in EP6.

What I'd like to be able to do is either add a link to the drop-down menu for an iView that will allow us to launch this configuration URL, or to change the default page that is launched in the Personalize link so that it goes to our own configuration page.

Can this be done and if so, how? I presume it would require some Java programming and portal-side configuration...?

Many thanks,

Mal.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mal,

An iView's properties are also stored in the portal database (PCD).

More over, you can add your own properties to ann iView, and the properties could be accessed by code of course. A sample is provided with the PDK.NET.

Could you please elaborate on what you want to accomplish beside that?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mal,

The portal is a very open platform, so I would say, <b>yes</b>, these two options are probably possible. By the way - you should also consider a third option - using the "personalize" link located at the portal header (you'd need to extend it too). I think thins option makes even more sense.

As to "how" - you should probably post this same question in the portal forum. I think the answer is mostly configuration, and not Java programming. If you get an answer there that requires programming, we might be able to help you later as to how to do that coding in .NET and not in Java. or not...

Good luck,

Ofer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Whilst iView properties are useful in some cases, many of our portlets are actually applications in their own right. As I mentioned, these applications will often use their own database with several tables in one-to-many relationships, so the standard properties page won't provide the interface we need.

So I think the only way to achieve what we want is to provide a link to our configuration pages. Ideally, this would be in the iView header's drop-down menu.

This brings up another problem: we only want certain users to be able to edit the content of each iView. Is there a way for us to determine who has permissions to do this (say, by checking if a user has read/write permissions to the iView) so we can make the link only available to those users?

I apologise if this is a bit difficult to understand. Perhaps I could email a quick document that shows screen shots of what we do now and how we'd like it to work in EP?

Thanks again,

Mal.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

There is a property for iViews called “Show Personalize”. This property determines if the personalize option is visible in the tray or not. You can edit this property in the delta linked iView inside the role to achieve your goal.

For editing the iview Tray you need to post a question in the portal forum. i know there is a javascript API that allows adding new tray menus for iViews, so that might be helpful.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have you filled the PDK for .NET survey yet? You can win an MP3 player!!!

http://feedback.sap.com/efs/vote?campaign=39c7899ecca40a6709a638bd0388ac8b&org=332

Answers (0)