cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCMS to monitor Database file freespace

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am trying to implement a CCMS monitoring solution and for some reason, CCMS does not provide a node to monitor database file freespace.

Does anyone know if one exists ??

We need to monitor the database file freespace as we do not use auto extend since using auto extend casues I/O issues.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey mate,

We are doing exactly what you have suggested. Running SolMan 4.0 with SPS12.

I have looked at CCMS_MSS_SPACE_filesp_ma but as you say there is no value that I can create an auto-reaction for, which is where lies my issue.

I really need an MTE that shows me either the percentage or MB free so I can auto-react. Strangely all the information is in CCMS_MSS_SPACE_filesp_ma but SAP have not delivered this.

Looks like I will be creating my own MTE to do this.

Cheers

rolfc_weber
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Not a solution, but it could be a hint on how it could be done.

As we (in our company) had the same issue to follow up on free space in the database files (pre Solman 4.0), we had a look at transaction DB02 (that holds the requested data).

DB02 transaction is equal to program RSMSS062.

So we made our own copy of the program, deleting every thing, leaving only the part that the program was doing when pressing "refresh".

In the program it will build up a table holding the information of every SQL deta file (as it can be seen in DB02 transaction).

Having this table, is only a question of processing the data, doing some calculation and so on....

Based on the data we had in the table, we have even extended it with a free space check on the device (or disk).

We execute this program daily in a background job, and if the free space is not sufficient it terminates, giving the event that again can be picked up by CCMS or other alerting functions.

Regards

Rolf

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rolf,

How can you take the information generated by your program and raise an alert in CCMS ? Do you need to create a MTE class ? If yes, how can we create that ?

Regards,

Mathieu

rolfc_weber
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Sorry for the late answer, but I had problems reply to this post, however....

As I wrote, we execute our program as a background job in SAP.

At our place we use a 3. party scheduling tool to execute background jobs in SAP, if the job terminates the scheduling tool generates the required alert outside of SAP.

However there is in RZ20 a SAP standard monitoring segment SAP CCMS Monitor Templates - Background Processing - Background Processing Servers - Background - AbortedJobs.

Here I could imagine to add a auto reaction method like Send mail or create a alert in the Alert framework of SAP, that could be used if we should stay in SAP.

Hope this helps

Regards

Rolf

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It appears to be the case for all releases that I wish to monitor which includes. 6.20, 6.40 and 7.00.

I am wanting to monitor the Freespace inside the Microsoft SQL Serve database file.

Cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Darryl,

WAS 7.0 (SP9) systems have an MTE called CCMS_MSS_SPACE_filesp_ma

This is MTE will return the current data file size, data file usage and growth increment in Megabytes.

This MTE does not allow you to set a threshold for the alert. I believe this is deliberate as customer systems vary in size from very small to very large - the point being 100MB free on a very small system is possibly a waste of space and 100MB free on a large system is potentially dangerously little space.

If you do not see this in RZ20 -> Technical Expert Monitors -> All monitoring Segments -> Microsoft SQL Server -> Space Management -> DB: <SID> -> Datafile then you need to check your CCMS background job is correctly configured.

I would recommend building you own CCMS template on a Solution Manager 4.0 system that remotely monitors your entire landscape. This will allow you to quickly check all systems at one time on one screen.

Thanks

N.P.C

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Darryl,

Can you advise which Basis release you are using?

Are you wishing to monitor the amount of freespace within an SAP data file or are you wishing to monitor the amount of freespace on the file system where the SAP data file in placed?

Thanks

N.P.C