cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem encountered for Oracle 9.2.0.8 patch

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am implementing Oracle 9.2.0.8 Patchset on our Quality System (SID=QA1). Apparently, our Development System(SID=DE1) also resides on the same physical box as QA1.

I have no problem patching Development system but when I tried to patch Quality system. OUI stopped the process as the pop up message states that I do not have the permission to write to /oracle/DE1/inventory directory. Thus, I was not able to proceed.

The environment and oracle settings(ORACLE_HOME & ORACLE_SID) are correctly set for user oraqa1 and QA1 system.

I have read and tried OSS 1071091 but still doesn't work.

Does anyone knows why OUI is picking the wrong system? What can be done to correct this?

Oracle version: 9.2.0.7

Message was edited by:

Annie Chan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

another possibility is that perhaps you have an oracle inventory for each oracle home instead of the usual central oracle inventory (1 per host)

Check the oraInst.loc file in /etc or /var/opt/oracle (depends on OS) and its contents.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I completed the task yesterday with the permission method. However, I think I found the solution after completion. Robert is right, the trick lies at the oraInst.loc file. It lies at /etc directory for my case (AIX 5.3).

If you do a opatch lsinventory, it shows you the Central Inventory location and the location of orainst.loc. For my case, it is pointing to /oracle/DE1/920_64/inventory. Therefore, even though I am logging in as oraqa1 with all env and oracle settings correct, it still points to DE1 inventory.

An additional point to note, although allowing DE1 inventory to be written, it does not mean installation takes place in that directory. Installation still patch QA1 with proper path states in the OUI screen. The directories & files that had their permissions modified to 775 are:

/oracle/DE1/920_64/inventory

/oracle/DE1/920_64/Contents & all of its underlying files

/oracle/DE1/920_64/ContentsXML & all of its underlying files

Thanks everyone for the contribution~

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

david_malinconici2
Participant
0 Kudos

Change permission for /oracle/DE1/inventory and to 775.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What are the permissions and owner of that directory?

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

the owner is orade1 with permission 755

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> the owner is orade1 with permission 755

and you are installing the patch with that user?

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Annie,

You have to login with oraQA1 (quality system where you want to install) and see your environment variable and home directory (ORACLE_HOME)

Then, chk for the permissions, if it is 755, then it should work and this is the user and settings it should be..

Hope this helps

Cheers

Senthil