cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to increase my server performance ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi experts,

my environment is 4.7E,SQL,Windows 2003 Server with 150 users.

ibm xseries 346 with 6 gb ram

min response time is 1000 (m.sec) to 1500 per 140 logon users.

how can i decrease this response time ?

Please give me your valuable suggestions.

Gayatry.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

tanuj_gupta
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Gayatri,

The average response time consists of:

Wait time

Database request time

Roll time

Load time

Enqueue time

Processing time is:

ABAP processing time (part of total CPU time)

Work process waiting for CPU

Waiting for I/O

IN order to monitor the performance of the system and identifying the bottleneck points, use Workload Monitor transaction code ST03. Select the required timeframe and by default the ‘Workload Overview’ view is displayed. In the “Administrator’s Mode” the default time frame of the workload analysis is the current day. However, change to “Expert Mode”. Choose under “Detailed Analysis” -> “Last minutes load”

During the workload exercise, restrict the time period to the time when the performance is observed to be bad. Under Analysis views, you can access, for example:

Workload overview - Workload statistics according to work process type

Transaction Profile - Workload statistics according to transaction.

Time Profile - Workload statistics according to hour

In the Workload Monitor(ST03) selecting Transaction Profile enables you to find out:

The most-used transactions. Tuning these transactions results in the largest improvements in overall performance.

The average response times for typical R/3 transactions.

In the Workload Monitor, the following values normally indicate good performance:

Wait time < 10% response time

Average roll-in time < 20 ms

Average roll wait time < 200 ms

Average load (and generation) time < 10 % of response time (<50 ms)

Average database request time < 40 % of (response time - wait time)

Average CPU time < 40 % of (response time - wait time)

Average CPU time – should be close to processing time

Average response time - depends on your requirements – there is no general rule

If you observe high response time for these individual components :

Large Roll-wait time: Communication problem with GUI or external system

Large load time: Program buffer, CUA buffer, or Screen buffer too small

Large database request times: CPU or memory bottleneck on database server, network problems, expensive SQL statements, database locks, missing indexes, missing statistics, small buffers

Large CPU times: Expensive ABAP processing, for example, processing large tables, frequent accessing of R/3 buffers

Processing time much larger than CPU time: CPU bottlenecks, network problems, communication problems.

Hope this helps in tuning your system

Regards

Tanuj Gupta

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

former_member197561
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

If the end to end response time is around 1000 - 1500 milliseconds (i.e. 1 s - 1.5 s) , this is quite in range of what SAP delivers usually based on many studies and different statistics of customer's expectations.

Best regards,

Sylvia

former_member433984
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

first will be strongly recommended to apply note

<a href="https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1009297">Note 1009297 - Windows Server 2003 Family: High Paging Rates</a>

Former Member
0 Kudos

please give me some links..............about bottlenecks and performance

Gayatry.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gayatri,

Please find below the link for threshold values.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/25/ece73a39e74d27e10000000a114084/frameset.htm

Please go thru the Link for Work Load Monitor for operating transaction ST03N.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/25/ece73a39e74d27e10000000a114084/frameset.htm

" Points for reply "

Regards,

Sandeep.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The response time of around 1000 ms is good. In order to decrease it further, you can proceed to find out which component of response time is contributing the maximum to the avg. response time from ST03N.

The different components of dialog response time are :

Average CPU Execution time

Average Database Time per Dialog Step

Average Wait time

Avg. Roll in time

Avg. Roll wait time

Avg. Load + Generation time

Avg Lock time

Accordingly, you can identify the component of response times which is taking more time and then proceed for further tuning / capacity enhancements.

" Points for Solutions ".

Regards,

Sandeep.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Kindly configure proper opeation modes so that you can provide sufficient work process for Dialogue and Backgound users. Kindly see to it that all the background processing is done in night time as more dialogue utilization will be there in day time.

So in Day time provide more Dialogue WP and less Background once OP mode swtiches to night it should be more Background and less dialgue.

If you have multiple application servers then see that SMLG is configured properly.

Kindly go through ST02 check whether there are any Swaps and high buffer utilizations.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/02/96267f538111d1891b0000e8322f96/frameset.htm

This will help you in having better reponse time.

Thanks & Regards

Vivek