cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One track or multiple tracks, ESS, MSS, and PCUI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all...

Need opinions and/or best practice info.

We are implementing ESS/MSS and have the need to customize ESS, MSS, and PCUI SCs. Is it better or recommended to create ONE track containing all of these SCs or separate tracks for each one?

Thanks in advance!!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would recommend creating one track.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Marc,

That was my exact theory... PCUI dev in one track means having to import it/merge it into the other tracks. I would assume the same thing would apply if you had PCUI dev contained in either ESS or MSS tracks. So with that in mind, plus other feedback, I'm going with one track.

My only concern is it is very large (like 1041 DCs), so it will take a while to build/assemble. Hope our NWDI box can handle it!!

Thanks everyone.

Former Member
0 Kudos

David,

well, if it doesn't work you know where to ask..

The number of DCs are not that relevant. The bigger issue is that ESS contains some DCs that are rather heavy (tra/trp/* and some of the ../bp_* DCs). If possible ensure that your CBS has enough memory and that the CBS rootFolder is placed on a fast disk with enough space (depending on number of parallel builds, >10 GB should be safe).

Regards,

Marc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good points Marc, I think we have those items covered. The box itself has 16G of RAM but the engine is only tuned to use 2G of RAM. That is the most that can be allocated correct?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've looked at this document before and from what you are saying, one track is the better way to go? No real reason why we can't I just wanted to confirm.

Thanks...

AndreyH
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

My default opinion/recommendation: one track.

Kind regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

well, just turn it around. Assuming you have one track for PCUI customizing, one track for MSS customizing and one for ESS customizing. Now since some changes you want to do in ESS or MSS might depend on other changes in PCUI you would have to do your customizing in the PCUI track (dev system), transport changes to cons, assemble, approve, forward to the MSS or ESS customization track and do your changes there. I doubt that you would want to do it like that.

Regards,

Marc

AndreyH
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Please check the following link up:

<a href="https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sap.km.cm.docs/oss_notes/sdn_oss_bc_cts/~form/handler">ESS Cookbook</a>

Keep it simple

And pay attention to SC dependencies (you might see it in SLD; during track configuration CMS helps to includes all required for development SCs) - it may be pretty painful to keep consistency and development process eficciency in case of separation among several tracks.

Let me know if such non-technical recommendation is not sufficient