cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Functional & DMU views in PLM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I have also worked extensively with Products like UGS TC and Dassault VPM, LCA in the past, on the PLM front. There have been Functional & DMU view objects defined in them (under which Assemblies, Parts are placed), these objects help to define/break a Product based on Functional Specs (example, chassis, pneumatics, body) or from DMU point (front section, middle section, wings...as in case of aeroplanes).

I am not aware if the objects exist in SAP PLM. I think it's extremely critical. Can someone throw some light.

Thanks,

Sachin

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

martin_bachmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Sachin,

the iPPE as a part of SAP PLM was designed to handle exactly this topic. Here you can find an overview pdf on it:

http://download.sap.com/SMIGlobal/download.epd?context=5AD3EDDF27080C477608ADB6BC3E401C8C61FC8B2C271...

Best regards,

Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Martin,

Thanks for the inputs and contribution to SDN.

Its been a while that you have replied about DMU,so guess your link posted here is outdated.

This question relates to DMU in IPPE and we are using EHP4 but not any webui

We have been able to understand DMU in SAP and how the information is stored and how DMU function uses the information ( orginals in DIR, DIR structure and Transformation matrices, link to MBOM etc ) to display an assembly in CDESK. But what we cannot understand is, how IPPE uses DMU and how to enable the function and see DMU display in IPPE. Any additional information will be of a great help.

We Cannot understand if it requires to have Document BOM and how do we associate the transformation postions of geometric instances to the PVS node ,,if you can throw some light ,so that we can see things clearly.

Its not an issue to get to help.sap.com so Appreciate if you do not include any help.sap.com's links.

Thanks!!

former_member12567
Discoverer
0 Kudos

this link is not accessible!

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All, i suppose if i understand correctly,

He should be using a proper Equipment BOM with the following nodes,

Equipment Aircraft,

Installed bases for deferent equipments, normally,in aircrafts the location of the components are referred with air frames, the oval rings forming the aircraft structure, this also helps in maintenance plans,and strategies, the total component hours is the total airframe(aircraft) flying hours or installed base hours -(minus) the hours at which the component is installed,

to indicate the pipelines routing through the air craft like hydraulic, pneumatic pipes, a support is normally provided on the oval frame in form of a clip where ever the clip is fitted that place becomes base, the object link is the steel pipe, the medium is either hydraulic oil or nitrogen or oxygen, or any medium if correctly configure this this can be mapped in the design drawings as wel

Hope this helps if i am wrong or u feel its good and need more help come back to me to sapguroo@gmail.com, as i dont very often visit this forum

regards

krishna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sachin,

You can use digital mockup viewing [Extern] (DMU viewing) for assemblies, based on document structures, in a separate window of the engineering workbench light. You can choose whether all components or no components are loaded when you start DMU viewing.

In addition, you can use administration functions for transformation matrices and bounding boxes, and you can copy transformation matrices when deriving material BOMs.

please have alook at SAP Note 799373.

prerequisites:

1. Transformation matrices and original application files exist in a neutral format (JT

format, for example workstation application JT), created by a conversion if necessary.

2. You have implemented SAP Note 799375 to enhance the standard functionality of engineering workbench light.

3. You have installed the current integrated viewer (ECL viewer) on the client (see SAP <b>Note 494146). See also SAP Note 551319.</b>

4. In Customizing for CAD Desktop (CA-CAD) you have activated the

CDESK_DMU_VIEWING parameter.

You can use this parameter to show and hide functionality of DMU viewing in the CAD view and SAP view of CAD desktop, by choosing the entries DMU Viewing and DMU Viewing (All).

If you want to administer transformation matrices and bounding boxes, and copy

transformation matrices when deriving material BOMs, the following prerequisites must be met:

1. For administration of transformation matrices and bounding boxes, you need a

suitable version of your interface. Contact your implementation partner.

2. To ensure that transformation matrices can be copied automatically when deriving material BOMs, you must implement <b>SAP Note 776434</b> (CDESK: Creating material BOM with same materials) and activate the functionality in Customizing for CAD desktop (CA-CAD) with the CDESK_DOC_BOM_LINK parameter.

Award points if userful

Niranjan

Former Member
0 Kudos

No Paul,

the objects I am talking about are different. They are used to logically break a product either from Functional or DMU needs.

May be these objects dont exist in SAP PLM, but then how do we break a Product to make logical sense.

Thx.

Sachin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Assemblies can be set up according to any logical break down you want to have (an can be reused again). Also don't forget that function locations are intended for building logical structures. However I don't know the process you want to support, because this will also directs the solution for mapping your structures.

Regards,

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think you referring to the building blocks used in PLM for structuring plants and machines: function locations, equipments, assemblies. This you will find in the SAP PM/SM module. Next you have also installed base master data used for customer server processes. For the engineering part you have functionality like IPPE.

Regards,

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Its difficult to understand exactly what you mean, but are you not referring to classification?