cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation problem Sneak Preview 6.40...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

my 6.40 installation dumps quite early with the message:

The step check_base_software with step key (...) was executed with status ERROR. In the log file, there is the message "The database software on the host has the version: 74, the software on CD: 75. The database client software is out of range. Upgrade the database client software and retry this installation!"

I deleted my 630 before starting, including the SAPDB manager version 74 and SQLStudio, as well as most registry entries (I still have the ABAP engine 620 though, but I'd like to keep it and it worked fine in parallell with my old 630).

What's the problem?

Regards,

Trond

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

gregorw
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Trond,

I've got the same error message yesterday, as I tried to install the Sneak Preview 6.40 on my computer. The solution was to uninstall the complete SAPDB software with the following commands:

dbmcli -d C11 -u control,control db_drop

This removes the database instance.

sdbuninst –all

Removes all installed packages.

I hope you still have the tools installed to get the software removed. After the uninstall the installation of the Sneak Preview 6.40 worked smoothly.

Regards

Gregor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, I'll try. Does it also remove my 6.20 (instance BSP)? I suppose not, since you-re only dropping the C11... anyway, I have a backup.

Well, I tried, but I cannot connect to my C11 anymore since all directories and files are removed... the instance is still there (God knows where), but "cannot be dropped", according to dbmcli.

Looking in my list of Services, I also see C11 lingering. Is there any way of surgically removing this instance? Why doesn't the 640 installation package do it...?

Message was edited by: Trond Stroemme

gregorw
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Do you have a backup of the C11 instance directories?

Benny
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

You said earlier that you deleted 630. How did you do this? With the Installation software? (There is an option)

If you didn't, please try this one.

There are services running for the database and deleting them is not that easy.

Regards,

Benny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well... I managed to re-install the C11 (6.30), then un-install it properly. BUT, the 6.40 still crashes, and when I perform the dbuninst command, it complains about my BSP (6.20) instance being there. Thus, I cannot remove the DB software completely (which is not what I wish to do, either).

Would it work to upgrade the BSP to maxDB75? I'm trying to do that at the moment, but it complains about my log files...

In short, can 6.40 and 6.20 live side by side, like with 6.20 and 6.30?

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK, by messing around I found that the following procedure worked:

- Downloaded maxdb version 7.5 from the maxdb site,

- In maxdb 7.5, I ran SDBINST, installed a new SAP runtime (I have no idea if this is a new instance; I haven't been able to see it from the SAP DB Manager. When running SDBINST it gives a list of options, where "SAP runtime" is one).

- After the "empty" maxdb 7.5 installation/SAP runtime creation, I restarted the Sneak Preview 6.40 installation, which completed successfully.

Now everything is up & running. Happy days...

Seems that the 6.40 is looking at your registry in order to find a sapdb version 7.5 somewhere on your system, if not, it'll refuse to install. A "clean" install of 6.40 only will probably work. If you'd like the WAS along with your 6.40, I suggest installing the 6.20 after the 6.40...

Benny
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Trond,

that was it, you were running two db instances at the same time. This is impossible, as maxdb has services that are alewas called the same - this is no a piece of java software - the services will start always.

Don't know why I didn't recognize immediately.

Regards,

Benny

Answers (0)