cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work process distribution

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

For a new project I'm asked to design a work process distribution. I need to allocate the number of work process per application server (# Dia, # batch, # upd, etc....). I have a certain feeling on how I would like to distribute this, but I'm also looking for a "rule of thumb" on how to distribute the number of WP's per dialog server.

Is there anybody who knows of a certain set of rules to help me out with this?

A helpful answer will be rewarded with points.

Thanks,

Pascal.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pascal,

The amount of processes really depends on the size of the system and what are you going to use it for. for example if the instance is going to have a lot of users on it.. you will probably need a high number of DIA dialog processes to handle the queries but if in the other hand will be used for batch processing then you'll need more batch processes... generally the rules for a mixed instance is 70% DIA, 30% BTC.. beside SPO and a couple of update processses UPD and UP2.

You can also change this using Operation modes to balance the amount of processes during different times of the day...

Read a bit more here,

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/c4/3a5eeb505211d189550000e829fbbd/frameset.htm

Regards

Juan

Please reward with points if helpful

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Juan,

Thanks for your reply. I understand that the number of WP's relates to the number of users and/or the size of the installation. What I really need to know is the number of WP for every 100 users or so.

Thanks,

Pascal.

vincentlim826
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

have you seen SAP Note 39412 ?

sascha_tubbesing
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

and note 9942 https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/9942 may also be of interest.

Regards,

Sascha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Pascal,

Generally, you can distribute your WPs as follows:

1 DIA per 5 users

1 UPD per 5 DIA

1 V2 per 2-3 UPD

Number of DIA >= Number of UPD + Number of BTC

Best regards,

Anton.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Billelinfo27
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

"A rule of thumb would be: for every 15 DIA work processes 3 UPD work processes and 1 UP2 work process", information provided on ADM315 Course Book.

Regards

Billel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As far as I know there is no such thing as a rule of thumb for work processes but usually you can have 1 dialog for every 10 to 15 users (that´s what I was told at SAP Basis Academy) but also it is a tunning work to provide the right amount of work processes.

Not enough dialog processes and user will get errors or will have to wait too much to get a response, too much and you will be wasting memory. If you have plenty of RAM Memory then go ahead and assign 1 dialog for every 5 users but if not, then you will need to work on it more That´s the idea behind transactions like ST02, ST03N, etc

I also depends on the correct use of the processes, if transactions that takes too much time are launched over dialog processes, then you will not have enough D WorkProccesses to work with and the server performance will be affected so in much cases is a good idea to set the timeout parameter for dialog processes so the users avoid launching long processes over dialog instead of background.

Background processes are NOT like Dialog and you should NEVER set such a thing like 1 bkg for every N number of users. BKG works on queues so they are not affecting user "normal" operations.

Use operation modes so BKG processes can run batch jobs during off peak hours so everything will have its job done in a decent time.

As I already mentioned, You could have an approach to how many D, BKG, SPOOL, etc work proceses needs but it is by no mean exact. I am a low experienced Basis consultant and I have seem installations with 50 users to 1000 and right now I´m on a client with more than 100 users concurrently connected and they just have 9 D and 3 BKG and users don´t have extreme performance problems even when running HR long proceses.

Of course you cannot expect to have a system where long processes won´t affect somehow the performance during peak hours unless you have load balancing and all that stuff.

Hope this help a bit to your question.